PDA

View Full Version : knee surgery and diving

bigman241
05-25-2011, 01:42
ok I got my ER bill for the wreck, 7660.00 :smiley5:. And am going to the surgeon tomorrow. I talked with a friend who is a lawyer, he told me to try and settle without one, he seems to think I have them by the throat.

My concern is I am heading for a knee surgery likely in the next few weeks
so lets say june 14th I have surgery how long will I be out of diving for.

For you medical guys and gals
anterior horn of the lateral meniscus with septated parameniscal cyst formation meassuring 2.4 cm transversely, 2.2 cm craniocaudally and 1.1xm in a/P dimensions.

Now I gather my meniscus(cartilage) is torn and will be fixed, any ideas on how long I am done, or is the summer a lost? How can I be compensated for a summer of diving???????

navyhmc
05-25-2011, 03:06
These are questions best asked to you surgeon and whoever is in charge of your physical therapy. It is also dependant on how well you do in PT as well as how compliant you are on the exercise regiem you are placed on. I would venture to say that you are out for at least 2 months if not 3. As for compensation for not being able to dive: Well that is between you, the insurance agents, the insurance underwriters and any lawyers involved. I am not a lawyer, but will say you would definitely have a very step uphill battle to get compensation for lost diving. It may be a little hard to get hat included in pain and suffering.

snagel
05-25-2011, 06:35
As far as recovery, as Navy said a lot depends on you. If you are dedicated to the PT and exercise, the time will be shortened. If you don't have your mind right and not dedicated, it will take longer.

My mother had a knee replacement several years back and was back up walking in less than 2 weeks, but she was very dedicated in doing her exercises. Others had the same surgery and it was well over a month before they were comfortable with walking.

Snagel

joer606
05-25-2011, 09:39
Sounds like a good time to get water scooter cert. :-)

Grizbear98
05-25-2011, 11:52
Man I wish I was up and walking in 2 weeks after my knee surgery. I had a tumor taken out along with a lot of my lining but that was some hard core surgery involving popping the knee cap off and severing some stuff that paralyzed some muscles for awhile. My PT was pretty rough but I did everything they told me to and had a motivation to get better and made a 4-6 month recovery in 2.5 months. But at that point that was just walking without a ton of pain I could not run yet or swim. My brother had some stuff done on his knees and was up and moving within 2 weeks and skiing again after a month. It really depends on you, the type of surgery you're having done. Knee surgery sucks though, your knee is never really the same afterwards.

I doubt that you'll be able to get any thing for time lost diving though, unless you were an instructor and had to cancel classes then its lost wages.

bigman241
05-25-2011, 23:02
well went today, she said I was good to dive, as long as it did not hurt to much, she said it would be a scope, so a few days off my feet and back to diving in a few weeks, she just said I will need to take care for a month or so. I am looking at waiting 4 weeks for the surgery, so wont get to even talk about a settlement with the insurance till then. she did say after I would be good to go, unless I hurt it again, or dont lose some dam weight.

Straegen
05-26-2011, 08:35
Sounds like a short recovery BUT I would make sure the person you are talking to knows about diving. While the in water part is probably good therapy, shifting around 70+ extra pounds of weight on a boat that is moving is a lot of stress on ones knees. Then you have to hoist all that weight up a ladder after swimming around. Cannot hurt to ask DAN.

scubagirlj
05-26-2011, 08:44
Sounds like a short recovery BUT I would make sure the person you are talking to knows about diving. While the in water part is probably good therapy, shifting around 70+ extra pounds of weight on a boat that is moving is a lot of stress on ones knees. Then you have to hoist all that weight up a ladder after swimming around. Cannot hurt to ask DAN.
why, did he just have his knee worked on? LOL..sorry didn't get much sleep last night & couldn't stop myself

Bert
05-26-2011, 10:22
Bigman Dr. are allways telling people to lose weight. My Dr. told me the same thing, I asked for a second opinion and she said I was ugly too:smiley19:

bigman241
05-26-2011, 14:54
I figure I will give it a few weeks and go from there, I am diving local in indiana till I go back to florida, so likely will be shore entries in lakes, so I will likely put on and remove my gear in the water like last summer. but I might call dan just to be safe