PDA

View Full Version : geocaching

BUDMAN
05-28-2011, 19:48
does anyone have any experience with geocaching?

do you think it would translate well to scuba diving?

crgjpg
05-28-2011, 20:38
It would be a bit more difficult. I see obstacles problems. First, since GPS does not work underwater locating the cache would be more difficult. You would have to use compass navigation, surface swim, or keep send a up a waterproofed GPS unit and pulling it down. Second, you would have to either use water proof items or surface to open the containers.

oddbod
05-28-2011, 20:39
Hi Budman
Can't see why not, only problem would be describing the actual hiding spot, my GPS don't work under water, and a couple of 100 sqare metres on land is a lot to search sometimes, for a plastic canister, if it is well hidden. Could be fun trying? As an aside to this have heard a rumour that the guy who sank the ex HMAS Canberra Reef - Victoria - World Class Temperate Water Diving Destination (http://www.hmascanberra.com.au/) for us, leaves a silver dollar fixed on to all the wrecks he sinks for someone to find.

navyhmc
05-28-2011, 21:20
I have a coworker that is really into Geocaching - has found some caches on his trip to Belize. I think the only way it would work for diving is lat-lon for the site and maybe a hint. Which would add another dimension to us dark water divers.

BUDMAN
05-28-2011, 21:57
just thinking here but I'm wondering if GPS could give you the entry point and then it would require you to follow instructions on depth and direction.
whatever you used would of course have to able to withstand water I'm thinking PVC pipe with a lid that can be opened underwater and whatever was left would also have to be water resistant.

a slate to write your name on would also be cool.

just seems like a fun way to practice search and navigation skills.

PTAaron
05-28-2011, 22:12
just thinking here but I'm wondering if GPS could give you the entry point and then it would require you to follow instructions on depth and direction.
whatever you used would of course have to able to withstand water I'm thinking PVC pipe with a lid that can be opened underwater and whatever was left would also have to be water resistant.

a slate to write your name on would also be cool.

just seems like a fun way to practice search and navigation skills.
I love Geocaching on land - your method for doing it while diving sounds like it could work... what a cool idea!

BUDMAN
05-28-2011, 22:20
as usual I'm way behind on things Scubaboard has a thread from 2004 that discusses this topic.

but I still think it would be fun to start a thread on this forum to list caches that members have placed in their favorite dive locations.

PTAaron
05-29-2011, 18:52
Apparently this already exists and is already part of geocaching.com ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrxuxaCRNqk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrxuxaCRNqk

fab50diver
05-29-2011, 19:29
Alert Diver, the DAN magazine, has a nice article on that this month as well.

DiveHard
05-29-2011, 21:05
Ok here is an invention for navigating GPS underwater. The antenna would be attached to your dive flag float and ran down spooled onto your reel and hooked into a waterproof unit. If someone builds it and makes millions you owe me the first production unit and a dive vacation of my choice. Thanks...

navyhmc
05-29-2011, 23:29
How about the whole gps receiver in the dive float and a low subaudible sonar signal to send a signal to a hand held transponder of sorts?

PTAaron
05-30-2011, 00:31
Sounds expensive Navy ;)

navyhmc
05-30-2011, 07:23
$$$ to be sure. There are already a few sonar/acoustic devices out there, I'm thinking you wouldn't need a a significant amount of data, mostly a lat/lon stream for a receiver of sorts, but I think it could be done, the only problem would be the per unit cost.

PTAaron
05-30-2011, 11:13
I may have to hide a few of these this summer... seems simple enough - assuming I am able to navigate a straight line!

DiveHard
05-30-2011, 20:56
How about the whole gps receiver in the dive float and a low subaudible sonar signal to send a signal to a hand held transponder of sorts?

Means more batteries for two units instead of one. And chance for interference or lost signal. Figure you have to tow a SMB/flag anyway so a direct line works. PLUS You could have the features of the DAN unit and know exactly where everyone else is including the boat. Then a more advanced unit could plug into a com unit on a full face and use voice. Basic unit per unit cost $500 US. More advanced featured units could go up from there.

plot
05-30-2011, 21:10
why make it separate from all the geocaching stuff already in place? in normal geocaching you give a general gps location along with whatever hints/description/etc. you want to give.... so just make sure you note that this geocache is only scuba accessible when putting it up for other people to look for.

actually, check out Geocaching > Getting Started with Geocaching > Geocache Types (http://www.geocaching.com/about/cache_types.aspx) for how they already designate different cache types and ask for a scuba icon to be added for underwater caches. might be a good way to draw people into the hobby as well.

DiveHard
05-30-2011, 21:25
Means more batteries for two units instead of one. And chance for interference or lost signal. Figure you have to tow a SMB/flag anyway so a direct line works. PLUS You could have the features of the DAN unit and know exactly where everyone else is including the boat. Then a more advanced unit could plug into a com unit on a full face and use voice. Basic unit per unit cost $500 US. More advanced featured units could go up from there.

Another great feature DAN cam up with is a distress beacon signal. Think, if there was a problem at depth then you could signal distress and have help on its way NOW instead of after someone has surfaced. Brainstorming...

PTAaron
05-30-2011, 21:35
why make it separate from all the geocaching stuff already in place? in normal geocaching you give a general gps location along with whatever hints/description/etc. you want to give.... so just make sure you note that this geocache is only scuba accessible when putting it up for other people to look for.

actually, check out Geocaching > Getting Started with Geocaching > Geocache Types (http://www.geocaching.com/about/cache_types.aspx) for how they already designate different cache types and ask for a scuba icon to be added for underwater caches. might be a good way to draw people into the hobby as well.

That video I posted up above talks about that, and the site they talk about explains how to find scuba geocaches and how to create your own :)

PTAaron
06-20-2011, 16:36
Just ran across this on the DAN site - thought I would share: Alert Diver | Scubacaching (http://www.alertdiver.com/default.aspx?articleNo=540)
Talks about 2 dive geocaches that they have placed...

buddha0724
06-21-2011, 07:59
I know our LDS is in the process of getting this started in our area. Not sure how they are going to do this or the process but they have notified us all to expect it anytime now.

Once I particapate or learn more I will gladly pass it along. I am intrigued by this.

PTAaron
06-21-2011, 12:01
We planned to scout a location to do a cache this past weekend, but we couldn't get to the area we were going to use as an entry point :(
Going to have to come up with a different plan now...