PDA

View Full Version : Memorial Day .... A Day of Remembrance

Diver Kat
05-29-2011, 23:53
Remembering those that have served this country.

Including my dad. He didn't spend that many years in the Navy, but I think it was in his blood till the day he died.

Udvar
05-30-2011, 05:55
Thank your dad for his service. I am currently surrounded by hundreds of men and women who are not enjoying a dip in the pool or an afternoon BBQ with the family this Memorial Day. Today is like yesterday and tomorrow will be like today. I am honored to work along side the people we will be honoring on Memorial Days to come.

navyhmc
05-30-2011, 07:32
Allow me to be somber for a few minutes: In my time,I have had the honor of serving alongside a number of great Americans, Brits, Canadians, Poles and Spaniards that gave their lives in the fight for freedom in the past years. The first corpsman that was killed in Iraq in '03 was a trainee of mine and I know that I still feel hollow thinking about that day when I got a call from his unit and they informed he was killed in combat. To these men I not only offer more than a moment of tears, silence, thanks and prayers but also pray for all that continue to be in harms way.

Thanks to one and all who have served and my eternal gratitude to those that gave their lives in the duty of their country.

And to paraphrase General George Patton: We should not mourn the deaths of these men. Rather, we should thank God that these men lived!!! Have a great Memorial day, one and all.

:smiley_salute:

PTAaron
05-30-2011, 08:26
Excellent posts.
Thank you to those that have served!

scubastud
05-30-2011, 08:34
Hey Kat.
Yea, so many in my family that served, but I'll just mention my pop, who served in the Navy during "the big one WWII" as Archie Bunker used to say.
Something about that generation-that grew up during the war. I am glad to have been raised and influenced by those people.
As most of you know, pop died last new Years Eve. There is not a decision I make that I do not think "What would pop do/say?".

Oh OK maybe I will mention my nephew Jimmy, who right now is in marine corps basic training.

Watched Sargeant York again, really like that movie- an old one,Gary Cooper. and based on a true story.
Just noticed the young girl that played his little sister is no other than June Lockheart, who later became a space mommy and had to deal with a silly robot and a stowaway named Dr.Smith.