PDA

View Full Version : Love or Hate the Oceanic Atom 2.0??

scubamike
09-16-2007, 17:04
I am buying new scuba gear and I am considering buying the Oceanic Atom 2.0 with a transmitter.

For the people who have it... do you like it? are there features you feel are lacking? I used to have a Suunto Mosquito..and I loved it, but felt it was too conservative.

I want one with a wireless transmitter now.

My options were:
Suunto D9 = too expensive
Oceanic VT3 = I like it.
Oceanic Atom 2.0 = I like it.

TommyB
09-17-2007, 06:38
I have both the
Epic and Elite T3

Which are they same as the VT and Atom, with just some face-plate changes (ie they moved the graphics on the dial or made 1/2 moons instead of full circles etc.).

I really like them both. Both download and are easy to manage.
If I was going to do it over, I'd get 2 of the Epics (atoms) so that my wife's and mine match.

What I really like about them is the multi-tank monitor feature, or can use it to monitor a buddies tank pressure. So I don't always have to ask my wife how much air she has :) Can monitor up to 3 buddies. or was it my tank and 2 buddies.

I know my wife loves her epic/Atom, due to the small size, and during SI it's also a wrist-watch which the T3/VT3 does not have.

JizNim
09-17-2007, 18:46
I've had my Atom 2.0 for almost a year now. I've logged 31 Air and Nitrox dives on it so far. I love the wireless air integration. I also dive with an Air2 so I have minimal hoses around me. I did have some minor problems with mine.

1. First one I had was functionally sound, but the little silver ring around the display came loose and would rattle when it was dry. I showed my LDS and they swapped me out immediately for another.

2. Second one had some sort of software problem. Every time I would update settings or time through the sync cable from my PC...next time I switched to dive mode it would light every pixel and everything would be reset back to default settings. Oceanic also told my LDS to swap that one out as well

Now I have my 3rd one and it has the most dives on it, working great. I'm extremely happy that Oceanic and my LDS were so easy to work with to replace my others.

I can't say much comparison-wise since this is my first computer. Compared to some of my buddies computers though I think it sticks to the basic display of information. By that I mean, there's no gee-wiz stuff like time remaining at current depth or breath cycles. I always dive in no-deco limits and the most I've loaded the "tissue loading bar graph" was 4 out of 5 bubbles for 2 minutes. It didn't seem as conservative as some other computers on my recent wreck dive to about 120'(I still had some bottom time when everyone else wanted to ascend). I also use the "dive planning mode" quite frequently, very handy to see estimated bottom time based on saturation.

Despite the problems I've had, I love my Atom 2.0. Its small, compact...I even wear it as a watch now and then. It doesn't have any "mom" features that tell you how to dive or breath. I have a bunch of free-dives logged on it as well. I trust it to keep me safe underwater. I hope this helps.

Jim - no sig no avatar guy

scubamike
09-19-2007, 08:49
Thanks. I took the plunge and purchase the Oceanic Atom 2.0

Cant wait to try it on my trip.

scubamike
09-22-2007, 10:05
I just got my Atom and I have been reading the manual and trying to learn how to use it. I am not sure if it's because I am not used to the interface, but I find it to be horrible...if you compare it to the Suunto interface.

How can I test the transmitter is linked up with my computer? the link icon keeps flashing.. and battery check reports as unavailable.
It seems the transmitter have to be connected to a 1st stage and tank.

plot
09-23-2007, 13:27
Two of my dive buddy's just got the Atom 2.0. One was switching from a suuntu d6 and the other from another oceanic... The only complaint was how complicated they seemed to be (Especially compared to the suuntu's), but also both said once they figured it out they absolutely loved all the options and didn't think it was to difficult anymore.

Hook it up to your computer and use that to change the settings. Have no idea about the transmitter.

Once you get it figured out, I think you'll love it 1000x more than the Mosquito.

philmayer
11-06-2007, 16:17
The transmitter can only be tested when it's pressurized, it doesn't transmit otherwise.

The interface is a bit cumbersome, but the display is great. It's very easy to use and stays out of the way.

Xspect
11-06-2007, 18:00
I wonder how does the atom compares to the epic

missnumnutz
11-06-2007, 19:24
my buddy and i both own an atom 2.. we both think its great!
at first i thought it was complicated but then when i hopped in the water i didnt need to do anything.. above water it gives you a lot of options to change and we think its great that its wireless =D we love how it looks too.. =)

kyfriedchipper
11-06-2007, 22:59
too expensive for me right now - going for the Oceanic Geo - maybe the AI later

abcitydiver
11-07-2007, 12:00
I love my Atom 2. Yes, the manual can "seem" overcomplicated, but it strikes me that is because this computer can do so much. When it comes time to dive, its very very simple. Get wet, and the computer is very simple...for simple diving. The beauty is that this computer will grow with you, as you expand to different gas mixes.

scubamike
11-07-2007, 22:26
my buddy and i both own an atom 2.. we both think its great!
at first i thought it was complicated but then when i hopped in the water i didnt need to do anything.. above water it gives you a lot of options to change and we think its great that its wireless =D we love how it looks too.. =)

I tried it in the pool last week and the Atom lost link with the transmitter twice.

My Atom 2.0 is on my left wrist. The transmitter is on the right side of the first stage.

What's your setup? Somebody told me to move the transmitter to the left HP port in the First Stage.

philmayer
11-08-2007, 15:41
I tried it in the pool last week and the Atom lost link with the transmitter twice.

My Atom 2.0 is on my left wrist. The transmitter is on the right side of the first stage.

What's your setup? Somebody told me to move the transmitter to the left HP port in the First Stage.

If you dive with your hands crossed in front of you, that tends to happen. Putting the transmitter on the left will help.

davieeeee
11-09-2007, 01:52
I have had the Atom for about 2 months now and I am happy with it.
The thing about the Atom, is that it is complicated to set up at first, as it supports so many things. But once you are in the water, it does the rest itself. It is especially good for recreational divers who just want to dive without really 'thinking' too much. I know thats not exactly a good thing, but it does allow for that comfort zone if you are so inclined.
To give you an idea of how seamless it is, the only tinkering I have to do with it, is putting on the strap. Once in the water, it automatically goes into 'Wet' mode. Once below the water it automatically goes into 'dive' mode. Once im at my turn around point it beeps itself. Once I have to do my safety stop it beeps. If I reach my predefined air limit, it beeps etc. Then I get out of the water and wait for it to get back into 'dry' mode. All in all, I usually dont even touch a single button on an average dive.

The software leaves a bit to be desired, but they have already released a second version of it, so it shows that they are still working on the software and improving it. Hope this helps.