PDA

View Full Version : smoking

bigman241
06-04-2011, 12:27
How many of you guys smoke? and do you stop during diving time.

I made the mistake of picking up the habit again:smiley21:

Vercingetorix
06-04-2011, 12:54
I smoked a pipe until 1980.

On dives, I have seen divers literally stub out a cigarette, put on their gear, and be in the water less than ten minutes later.

Rileybri
06-04-2011, 14:24
I quit 2years ago and have nearly doubled my dive time now.

bennerman
06-04-2011, 15:11
quitting whenever my mom does. It's an absolute pain in the ass to try and quit when they are right frigging there x.x

inventor
06-04-2011, 15:42
I quit 2years ago and have nearly doubled my dive time now.

You mean with cigs at $11 a pack in NY, you can afford more trips and gear?

chinacat46
06-04-2011, 17:48
Nosmo King

scubajane
06-04-2011, 19:45
isn't it hard to smoke underwater???? I'm to cheap to smoke i want more dive gear

Defman
06-04-2011, 19:51
Instructor working my rescue class kept his smokes & lighter in an Otter Box and would light up floating on the surface....

bigman241
06-04-2011, 20:45
thats what got me going again, I had to run 4 hours to pick up a friend whos car broke down, and smoked one on the way and one on the way back. My buddy was going at them in the truck so I took one. Then I was with some people in car full of smoke and said your all making me wants a cig, so the girl stuck one in my mouth, on my birthday I was pissed off about being blown off so I smoked one, thursday I bought a pack and now I am up to 15 a day :smiley5: Likely I will quit when I go back to florida.
quitting whenever my mom does. It's an absolute pain in the ass to try and quit when they are right frigging there x.x

bigman241
06-04-2011, 20:46
I saw a diver doing that, they even surfaced mid dive to smoke one, LOL I was like dam heck your loosing dive time by surfacing and smoking, then loosing the sac from the cig.
Instructor working my rescue class kept his smokes & lighter in an Otter Box and would light up floating on the surface....

Rileybri
06-05-2011, 00:54
I saw a diver doing that, they even surfaced mid dive to smoke one, LOL I was like dam heck your loosing dive time by surfacing and smoking, then loosing the sac from the cig.

Not to mention bounce diving. God only knows that smoking does when done in conjunction with rapid ascents and descents??

Smashee
06-05-2011, 01:33
Ex 3 to 4 pack-a-day man here. Quit 10 years, maybe. I'll allow myself a cigar (Cuban, hand-made, no cheap crap, thank you) every month or so.

bigman241
06-05-2011, 04:03
Ya dangerous in more ways then you would want to know

Not to mention bounce diving. God only knows that smoking does when done in conjunction with rapid ascents and descents??

ScubaToys Larry
06-05-2011, 06:45
How many of you guys smoke? and do you stop during diving time.

I made the mistake of picking up the habit again:smiley21:
First thing you have to do is come to the realization you do not have a habit. You have a drug addiction. You are in the habit of getting in the car on the left side to drive, but if you go to a country like Cayman or australia, many of the cars drive from the other side. Having to change what you are doing and go to the other side does not make you angry, upset, nervous, etc.

If you really want to stop, you must realize that a dangerous drug addiction is more important to defeat than a mere habit.

bennerman
06-05-2011, 18:29
Ex 3 to 4 pack-a-day man here. Quit 10 years, maybe. I'll allow myself a cigar (Cuban, hand-made, no cheap crap, thank you) every month or so.

amen!

scubajane
06-05-2011, 19:27
First thing you have to do is come to the realization you do not have a habit. You have a drug addiction. You are in the habit of getting in the car on the left side to drive, but if you go to a country like Cayman or australia, many of the cars drive from the other side. Having to change what you are doing and go to the other side does not make you angry, upset, nervous, etc.

If you really want to stop, you must realize that a dangerous drug addiction is more important to defeat than a mere habit.

it is quite a difficult addiction to end. I have watched many attempt to stop. I have seen a patient with a trach smoke through the trach hole. he had the trach because of throat cancer from smoking. I know it is tough but there are lots of ways to get help. please learn to stop!!

DiveHard
06-05-2011, 19:58

inventer knows who I'm talking about when I say the name Bill. He is a Tech instructor who carries his fags in his drysuit and pulls them out to light one up as soon as he un zips. Also has a habit of taking private OW friends on deep air deco trust me dives. I know this because his friends would brag about it at LDS meetings.

scubajane
06-05-2011, 20:15
inventer knows who I'm talking about when I say the name Bill. He is a Tech instructor who carries his fags in his drysuit and pulls them out to light one up as soon as he un zips. Also has a habit of taking private OW friends on deep air deco trust me dives. I know this because his friends would brag about it at LDS meetings.

What kind of flowers does he want on his coffin?

bennerman
06-06-2011, 00:08
What kind of flowers does he want on his coffin?

And where can we send donations to help him get back on his feet after he loses his instructor's license?

SEMO Scuba
06-06-2011, 09:32
Big,
Next time you quit remember this. If you never smoke the first one, you will never smoke the next one. That is what I told myself when I quit 20 years ago. You are young and you think you have plenty of time to quit, but you need to quit NOW. Being around others who smoke, or being depressed about a girl, is a poor excuse to resume a habit that will shorten your life, and lessen your quality of life.

DiveHard
06-06-2011, 16:49
Back on topic: I used to smoke. Quit for 15years then a high stressed situation with a woman got me to pick it up again. Addicts come in all shapes and sizes. Once addicted to something it is not hard to pick it up again. After I finally got over her I found myself with the disgusting addiction. It was affecting EVERYTHING in a negative way. My diving, relationships with friends who were shocked to find me smoking they never even knew I did in the past. It took some time. One day at a time.. But thankfully I put them back down. Been 7 months and I avoid people who smoke. Most divers dont and those are my chosen peoples. Surround yourself with positive influences and let them rub off on you. Give them the flush!! Better them then your life.

emclean
06-07-2011, 08:44
Once addicted to something it is not hard to pick it up again.
it's been seven years since i smoked, and i will smell a cigarette in traffic, and want one.

the sooner you quit the better, but you may never be over the addiction.

Straegen
06-07-2011, 11:53
I grew up with multi-pack a day smokers and everyone in my family sans me smokes or smoked at some point but I never understood smoking as something worth picking up. Now cupcakes and its ilk will haunt me to the day I die I am sure of that.

Diver Kat
06-07-2011, 13:31
I grew up with multi-pack a day smokers and everyone in my family sans me smokes or smoked at some point but I never understood smoking as something worth picking up. Now cupcakes and its ilk will haunt me to the day I die I am sure of that.
I'm with ya .... I'd take a cupcake over a smoke any day!! :smiley36:

Both parents smoked like fiends - guess it was very much that generation. Out of 6 kids, us older 3 never caught the bug. The younger 3 all did at some point, and the youngest still does. I never understood the appeal, but I think peer pressure had a lot to do with it for the younger kids. Neither parent ever managed to quit, which was pretty sad. The in-laws were both serious smokers as well but both managed to quit very late in life due to serious health issues. Both their sons smoked for many years. My DH quit once for 2 years, got back on the kick, then finally quit for good about 26 years ago. It was really hard, and took years for the cravings to go away, but I think it only gets harder as you get older.

I'm always shocked when I see a diver pop out a cig and start smoking. We all go on about the safety factor of our equipment - as it's our life support, yet our lungs are our most valuable piece of life support .... doesn't matter how good your gear is if your lungs crap out!:smiley5:

bigman241
06-08-2011, 15:23
ya I am stopping this weekend, taking a break from class and work, going to go camping in the middle of no where with no smokes.
I can not believe how it has effected my eating, I went from 3 or 4 meals a day to one maybe two, and I have been pulling 20+ hr days vs 12-18 before. I got two jr roast beef from arbys just got them down and tossed my fries after 2 fries. LOL I am thinking I dropped another 10 pounds this past week, so 27 pounds in a month. I thought about keeping up with the smokes till I hit 450, but one addiction for another ant the way
I think chasing the girls have helped me watch my weight to, LOL though the one I want says I look good just the way I am :)