PDA

View Full Version : Lightroom 3

chinacat46
06-05-2011, 11:06
I bought Lightroom 3 for a great price but now I have to learn how to use it. Anybody got any recommendations for learning this beast? I've been checking out some videos on adobe.com and some other sites but was wondering what others have done.

Bill
06-05-2011, 13:15
When I bought it I signed up for classes at the local community college. That was perfect for me. Got me started and made me very comfortable as a new user. Classes were 6 weeks, two times per week, three hours each session.

comet24
06-05-2011, 13:48
I've been using it for about six months now and still learning. Most of my learning has come off the web. Adobe has some good stuff and there are some other good videos out there. Wish I could remember which ones but I found most using google.

Cheddarchick
06-05-2011, 14:09
Hey Chinacat..What was the great price????

chinacat46
06-05-2011, 14:26
Hey Chinacat..What was the great price????

$120(actually $119.99 w/free s&h) not as good as free but alot cheaper then msrp.

Zenagirl
06-05-2011, 16:07
I just upgraded to Adobe Elements 9 and feel like there's a learning curve there too! Since I work at a high school, I think I'm going to have our photo/tech teacher give me a few lessons....doesn't seem like you can learn these programs by just playing with them anymore.

DevilDiver
06-05-2011, 20:30
Lightroom 3: Streamlining Your Digital Photography Process
Amazon.com: Lightroom 3: Streamlining Your Digital Photography Process (9780470607053): Nat Coalson: Books (http://www.amazon.com/Lightroom-Streamlining-Digital-Photography-Process/dp/047060705X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1307323122&sr=8-1)

If you can find any local courses as mentioned and of course youtube and the Adobe site....

This is a fantastic program and can greatly help with your workflow. I am guessing that you will be processing U/W images, you have to check out MarineLife Keywords MarineLife Keyword List < Keyword Workflow (http://keywordworkflow.com/products/marinelife) . You can use this code for a 5% discount: 01X19X05

Tassie Diver
06-09-2011, 08:15
Online Training for Photographers, Graphic Designers, Illustrators, Multimedia Artists, and Hobbyists | Kelby Training (http://www.kelbytraining.com/) is not a bad place to start and the companion site: Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Killer Tips (http://lightroomkillertips.com/)

I love Lightroom. Used it since LR 1.0.

chinacat46
06-11-2011, 16:01
Well my software shipped so I should have it next week. Been checking out some videos on adobe.com, youtube and a few other sites. Can't wait to try it out. I do have a question some one might know the answer to. I'd really like to load it on two different computers. I'd like to use the import and file/pic handling on my travel computer to get rid of bad pics and get things organized. On my desktop I'd like to use the other modules(develop, slide shows, print, etc...). Does Adobe allow you to load the software on two different computers. Will I have to call them up and beg them.

DevilDiver
06-11-2011, 17:33
I would guess you could, I would try and if you have any issues then you can make the call.

One suggestion before you import your photos over, not knowing how many files you currently have stored. This program is mostly about workflow, if you have not kept your photos filed by a system now is the time to start sorting, when you import you will want to have a basic keyword and file naming system worked out. It is easier to do on the initial import than going back and redoing. I had over 10,000 when I got into Lightroom and my system that I thought was pretty streamlined turned out to be not so much.

Also the changes that you apply in develop are done to the metadata and leaves the original intact, processed files will need to be exported and saved. Figure out how you will want to do this considering file type, renaming, location and what the file will be used for.

Once you get used to this process Lightroom will speed up your workflow considerbly....

chinacat46
06-11-2011, 18:31
Thanx DD sure hope it's possible to use on two systems but sometimes what looks rational and logical is not seen the same way at the corp. Hope I'm wrong. I'm checking out the book you recommended have you compared it to Scott Kelby's book

DevilDiver
06-11-2011, 18:50
sometimes what looks rational and logical is not seen the same way at the corp.

:smiley36: Don't you know that everything can be made logical and rational for the right price.... Pay'n tha man.

I'm checking out the book you recommended have you compared it to Scott Kelby's book

I have not compared these books, I do have books by Scott on other subjects and was very happy with them.

I found the Nat Coalson book to be very good, very helpful and easy to read/understand (that last part may not be say'n much).

The deal is that LR is not hard but it is very different for other PS programs in some parts. The online stuff is cool for tips and tricks but I like the book for quick references when I need to figure out a process or I forgot something. :smiley5:

chinacat46
06-14-2011, 21:51
FYI Adobe allows the user to install a second version on a portale or another a computer in your household. The licensing agreement says you may have to contact Adobe to do this but it is allowed as long as you don't use both copies at the same time. Seems fair to me as this was my intention.

DevilDiver
06-14-2011, 23:46
Thanks for posting that info, this saves me some trouble and cash.

chinacat46
06-15-2011, 12:22
I had no problem installing and registering a second copy of the software using the same serial number. Even updated both copies although not at the same time. Didn't want to push it.