PDA

View Full Version : Would You be Willing to Relocate to Dive?

Clernix
06-07-2011, 17:51
We all talk about how we live to dive and dive to live. I was wondering if anyone has ever considered relocating to dive?

I will be done with school in about 18 months I am a really thinking of focusing my efforts on Florida for my first round of employment.

Although the unemployment rate is pretty high there I would be willing to take a pay cut to live there just to be able to dive every weekend.

Straegen
06-07-2011, 17:57
I am relocating there next year mainly for the diving. Headed there next week for a couple months for a dry run.

DivingCRNA
06-07-2011, 18:25
Hell yes if I could get a job and take the kids.

In a heartbeat.

Zenagirl
06-07-2011, 18:26
Unfortunately I'm too entrenched in my current job to consider leaving...not to mention the house, the dogs, etc. However, the plan after retirement is to live on Maui for 5-6 months a year during the winter for the better weather as well as the diving. :)

Godfather1138
06-07-2011, 19:33
That is a tough one for me. I am hooked on diving and would move for more dive time in a heartbeat...given the right circumstances. I've always been more of a mountain kind of guy who prefers to just visit the beaches. I've never desired full residency n a coastal state, but if the job was right and paid in such a way that I could really take advantage of the diving then hell yes I would be all over it.

Until then, I'll be hanging out with the bass :)

scubagirlj
06-07-2011, 20:20
i did

TwistedSister209
06-07-2011, 20:42
We're considering that after retirement.

SEMO Scuba
06-07-2011, 21:26
YES!!

DiveHard
06-07-2011, 23:33
Yes I would. Probably not FL full time.

Although fate took care of it for me. Took a leave from my job to move to FL and take care of my elderly folks. I get free as often as possible and dive some incredible Caverns, Springs and rivers. Did the Keys a few weeks back. To be honest I hate everything about FL except my Family, GF and Diving

navyhmc
06-08-2011, 00:27
I would indeed be willing to relocate, but there would have to be a number of caveats:
1. Job: I'm not quite yet 100% retired so I would deifinitely need employment. The COLA and pay would need to be commensurate.
2: Quality of life: I live in a fairly safe area with goiod neighbors and a safe, trusting enviroment family. I could not in good conscience trade diving for an unsafe area.
3. Wife and Family: I would only make such a move with the 100% support of my wife and son. This is to me the most important condition to such a deal. As I told many a young sailor when I was doing the navy thing:

Through your navy career, you need a plan and need to set goals. It doesn't matter if your plans are one tour and out or a possible career. Those goals should be challenging but attainable. HOWEVER! At the end of your career, no matter how many goals you achieved, how many accolades, awards and skills you've received, if your family is not there, YOU HAVE LOST!!!
If those conditions are met, I'd go in a nanosecond!:smiley20:

snagel
06-08-2011, 06:03
If I was young again and just starting out, sure I would look at relocating to an area where I could dive. I'm not sure Florida would be it. I was there once and told myself I would never go back....but that was 30 years ago. You only live once so you should do what makes you happy. Currently, I'm stuck in the midwest at least for a couple more years. I'm okay with living in the midwest since I've been here most of my live now. Who knows what the future brings. The boy has 2 more years of high school, I take care of my elderly mother, and my current job is all in the midwest. Once the boy is out on his own, my mother moves on, and who knows what is going to happen to my job...company probably be moving overseas in the next few years. It might be time for a change. But for now, I've reached that time in my life where retirement is closer than being a rookie. The wife and I dream of moving to some exotic island, but really we love traveling there, living there would be a whole different thing and probably not good....we look forward to going to the islands. If we lived there what would we look forward too?

My focus right now is that I would like to secure a vacation home somewhere where it is warm and we can dive. As we approach retirement I would love to live there at least part time and then probably somewheres else the rest of the time.

Snagel

buddha0724
06-08-2011, 06:32
Probably not for awhile. All of mine and my wife's family is right here. I am willing to relocate for really any reason but my wife is very close to her family. I could not ask her to leave all of that for me.

Not sure Florida is the place for me though. I am thinking more along the lines of Texas. But have done no research at all. Just from my vacations and service time when I was in those states.

BRsnow
06-08-2011, 07:06
You might really want to spend sometime in FL before deciding to move there, the diving might not be enough for you. However no reason to stay in the US, lots of place to live and work outside of the US with great diving as well. BR

PTAaron
06-08-2011, 07:35
I would like to relocate at some point - not just for diving - but to get away from Michigan weather. The problem is that in most cases we would be trading crappy weather for 8 months of the year for hurricanes, tornadoes, or earth quakes. Another big factor is that both of our families are 99% in Michigan right now too, so that would make leaving difficult.
Ultimately we would like to get a vacation home in the Caribbean - once we win the lottery. :smiley36:

Straegen
06-08-2011, 09:22
You might really want to spend sometime in FL before deciding to move there, the diving might not be enough for you. However no reason to stay in the US, lots of place to live and work outside of the US with great diving as well. BR

Is Florida the Sunset State? - TIME (http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1821648-1,00.html)

Read this before heading to Florida. It gave us pause but we are headed down anyway.

PlatypusMan
06-08-2011, 09:41

Recommend that you carefully research that out-of-the-US destination before taking the plunge.

Many appear to have some serious restrictions as to who can come work there, and in what capacities, and for how long.

PPM

BRsnow
06-08-2011, 09:56
Recommend that you carefully research that out-of-the-US destination before taking the plunge.

Many appear to have some serious restrictions as to who can come work there, and in what capacities, and for how long.

PPM

Thanks, have lived and worked abroad numerous times over the years. Much easier than most would expect, much of it has to do with what companies you work with. They workout most of the details for you. Thanks though. BR

Clernix
06-08-2011, 12:17
Straegen- interesting article. I don't think it would keep me away either. I still think it has the best diving in the U.S at least for my tastes. Being able to dive on the weekend and cheap flights south would make it all worth while.

Chilly
06-08-2011, 16:29
I'm not at the point in my life where I could relocate based on recreational interests only. That being said, I was lucky enough to have had the oppportunity to relocate to Florida about six years ago and instantly jumped on the opportunity.

Like my 8 other relocations, it came down to a balanced scorecard considering family, work, recreation, standard of living, etc. I was very fortunate to have everything work out the way it did. We love it here! :smiley20:

tammyj83
06-08-2011, 21:06
Yep, I'd do it.

waytooslow
06-08-2011, 22:27
If I ever had to start over again. In a heartbeat. Wish I started diving younger, but was poor.

Flatliner
06-08-2011, 22:49
I would but the wife wouldn't so I actually won't.