Cichlid
07-13-2007, 20:28
Does anyone here use them? My wife and I snorkeled in Maui, but that
was because we weren't certified divers. I guess if you were in a
swallow area, it's all you'd need. How often are you guys and gals
taking the snorkels out?

FishFood
07-13-2007, 20:42
Does anyone here use them? My wife and I snorkeled in Maui, but that was because we weren't certified divers. I guess if you were in a swallow area, it's all you'd need. How often are you guys and gals taking the snorkels out?
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I use a snorkle quite a bit.However, my dives are cheap, jetty shore dives, or spring fed creeks. A snorkle can come in handy in shallow waters where being on the bottom isnt a needed. (conserve air)</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>IMO the best option is to get somethign like the AqualungSnap Snorkel, which can rolled up and be stored in a pocket andpulled out when needed.http://www.aqualung.com/products/snap.html</DIV>

DDGator
07-13-2007, 20:47
Are you asking if I am using a snorkel with my dive gear?
<DIV></DIV>Absolutely. Every dive so far. I use the snorkel when I first get in the water and am getting my bearings, or if I am waiting on the surface--so as to conserve my air for when I need it.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>When doing drift dives in a river (Crystal River in Dunellon, FL), I was constantly switching to my snorkel on the surface to conserve air.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I also consider it to be sort of a piece of safety gear. If I were OOA on the surface trying to get to the boat in a bit of a chop, the snorkel would keep me from sucking in a bunch of water and make it much easier to breath and relax.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>In my limited experience, Isay definitley yes to a snorkel if you are an OW diver.</DIV>

dutch552
07-13-2007, 21:40
While diving I keep an Oceanic pocket snorkel in my BC pocket. Otherwise the snorkel is assigned to snorkeling outings only. I find that it gets in my way and don't miss it hanging off of my mask strap. I could see the advantage if you were in the Crystal river with the manatees or something or in an unfamiliar dive location that has exceptional visibility to scope out potential diving spots.

Joew
07-13-2007, 22:31
I think snorkels are great..... for snorkeling. When I dive I never take one with me, unless it's required (when I'm DMing with students). I think it is a piece of equipment that everyone should own, however. I always keep one in my dive bag, and I do use it for snorkeling/freediveing on a fairly regular basis. If you feel more comfortable on the surface with a snorkel, or you think that conditions call for it, than by all means use one.

tc_rain
07-13-2007, 23:05
I take mine with me but leave it in the dive bag. If the water is real choppy I will useit just in case I am on the surface for a while waiting on the boat. I think a pocket snorkel would be best in my case but I just haven't got around to ordering one yet.

texdiveguy
07-14-2007, 00:15
The only time I use snorkel anymore is the few times I am 'snorkeling'. In rough waters I keep my reg in place to breath.

frankc420
07-14-2007, 10:55
Nope, I don't use mine, haven't used mine using scuba since my certification dives. Although, I have used it when attempting (LOL) to freedive. I do carry it with me when I go diving though (in my dive bag), as a 'just in case' measure.

CompuDude
07-14-2007, 12:53
Snorkels are great ... for snorkeling.

When diving, I keep a pocket snorkel in my pocket, but I've only used it once in the past two years. They don't help you at all once you're diving, and actually can cause confusion at depth... I've seen a lot of people grab their snorkel instead of their inflator. And I've had my snorkel snag on kelp. And had my mask pulled off my face in surf because of the extra drag from the snorkel. Pockets work grear. :)

Queen
07-14-2007, 13:22
Haven't used mine in years, except when I go snorkeling with my SO (a non-diver).

jacewindu
07-14-2007, 14:05
for me, it depends upon the diving-
if you're on a liveaboard... definitely don't need a snorkel, but if you're doing other type of diving, like beach diving, then sure... why not.

Cichlid
07-14-2007, 14:16
The pocket one seems like a good idea. I never thought about confusing it with a reg. I guess when you're down there and get disoriented, anything could happen. Mainly I was concerned that it would just be another thing to carry.

the gooch
07-14-2007, 14:25
I always have one in my bag but never use it for SCUBA. Seems to get in the way if I wear it on my mask strap while diving.

Cichlid
07-14-2007, 17:11
Whoops,I have regs on my brain right now. http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley9.gif

somewhereinla
07-17-2007, 02:33
A snorkel is a very important piece of equipment and not only should you take it with you, get the best. It literally could save your life.

Joew
07-17-2007, 02:42
A snorkel is a very important piece of equipment and not only should you take it with you, get the best. It literally could save your life.

I'm having a hard time thinking of a situation where a snorkel could save my life. Could you please enlighten us.

przeor
07-17-2007, 03:59
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>We have full size snorkels we use for snorkeling and fold up ones we carry in rough conditions- sometimes. Normally, we backswim out to a drop in point and when we surface and need to get on the boat, I always keep my reg in and my mask on until I'm on the deck. </DIV>

picxie
07-17-2007, 05:04
I always have a snorkel with me and I always use it on the surface rather than breath through the reg. Personal preference. I was starting to think I was one of a few as most people I know don't like them.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I might look into a pocket one though, they sound ideal.</DIV>

Judestudio
07-17-2007, 06:52
The snorkel pulls on my mask, I don't like it. So now, I keep a Sherwood Avid folding snorkel in my pocket. That way, I don't need to have it hanging (and pulling) on my mask all the time, but knowing I'll have one if I ever need to.

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/snorkels/pics/genesis/avidsnorkel.jpg

Vercingetorix
07-17-2007, 11:18
So now, I keep a Sherwood Avid folding snorkel in my pocket.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Available at ScubaToys (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=AvidSnorkel)</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>

DDGator
07-17-2007, 12:08
Actually, it appears the folding snorkel is not available from ScubaToys right now. Maybe its just out of stock?

Venio
07-17-2007, 12:28
I did my research before the OW class and got the Aqualung Snap. And it rolls, I mean it! It rolls in my BC pocket.

http://www.aqualung.com/images/products/prd_snap.jpg

lucidblue
07-17-2007, 12:39
My snorkel gets in the way too. I keep grabbing it instead of my inflator, wasn't sure if it was just me... glad to hear it's not. Plus it's just not comfortable hanging on my mask.

The fold up snorkels look like a good solution.

DDGator
07-17-2007, 13:00
It looks like the Sherwood model may have been discontinued by Sherwood... :( I generally like Sherwood's stuff.
<DIV>For those who use folding snorkels, can you put them in place in the water without removing your mask? Do you attach it to the strap or just tuck it under?</DIV>

TxHockeyGuy
07-17-2007, 14:17
I hate my snorkel with a passion, at least when I'm diving. It does nothing but get in the way. The only possible use for a snorkel on a diver is to conserve air on a long surface swim, I don't generally do long surface swims. If it is choppy out then I want my reg in, not my snorkel. Sorry, but unless I have to have it on for a training class it stays in the dive bag.

CompuDude
07-17-2007, 15:42
It looks like the Sherwood model may have been discontinued by Sherwood... :( I generally like Sherwood's stuff.
<div>For those who use folding snorkels, can you put them in place in the water without removing your mask? Do you attach it to the strap or just tuck it under?
Depends on which model. Some use a simple clip, which you, well, clip.

The Oceanic Pocket snorkel (one of the best) uses industrial-strength velcro. You leave a little tab attached to your mask, and if you need to attach the snorkel, just push it onto the opposing velcro piece and it sticks.
</div>

Judestudio
07-17-2007, 16:03
<div>For those who use folding snorkels, can you put them in place in the water without removing your mask? Do you attach it to the strap or just tuck it under?</div>
I think it might have discontinued. I've seen it on ebay a few times though. Like CompuDude pointed out, another option is the Oceanic pocket snorkel (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=PocketSnorkelpocket%20snorke l). The Aqualung one looks like a neat idea, but does it roll up easily and fit in that tiny box (with gloves on)?

Venio
07-17-2007, 16:07
... The Aqualung one looks like a neat idea, but does it roll up easily and fit in that tiny box (with gloves on)?

I have not used gloves but with bare hands it's more than easy. It ends up being a bit thicker than hockey puck. I can't really find any difference when I have it in or out the BC's pocket.

Lucky(AR)
07-17-2007, 16:20
i used my snorkel in my ow class and thats the last time it has left the bag

awap
07-17-2007, 17:24

I'm having a hard time thinking of a situation where a snorkel could save my life. Could you please enlighten us.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I carry a snorkel attached to my plate under the wing. I see it as a piece of safety equipment. I know I can fall asleep breathing thru a snorkle in calm water. In rough water, it can be used to seperate the air from the water when trying to breath. When diving beyond reasonable swimming distances to shore, I believe I can survive for days with the aid of a snorkel.</DIV>

przeor
07-17-2007, 20:55
I think Sherwood makes a fold up one- I don't remember the name- maybe Avid, like their BC? And Aqualung makes one that rolls up in a ball- short of like a hockey puck- that's what we have. I think either would work fine, the Aqualung is a little bulkier maybe, but in my pocket I could care less.

Cichlid
07-17-2007, 21:08
Are the fold up ones usually open ended? I guess I'm wondering if any
of them come in the "dry" option. I guess it doesn't matter as much if
you're not using them often.

przeor
07-18-2007, 00:16
The Aqualung is smooth insdie and out and I've not had any issues with water collecting inside. It's not a dry snorkel, but aside from classes, I've never used a snorkel while diving...so it doesn't really matter.

CompuDude
07-18-2007, 01:15
Save the dry snorkels for snorkeling. For scuba, you want the least obtrusive one possible, and that rules out dry snorkels.

przeor
07-18-2007, 02:15
Can't we just rule out all snorkels?

CompuDude
07-18-2007, 04:10
Can't we just rule out all snorkels?
I won't tell if you don't. ;)

I still feel better knowing there's one in my pocket, however.

przeor
07-18-2007, 04:12
Must..... not.... make.... joke......
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Ok, ok, is that a snorkel in your pocket or are you just happy to see us?</DIV>

Cichlid
07-18-2007, 06:57
Both!

DiverBry
07-26-2007, 23:09
Does anyone here use them?

I understand that snorkels aren't very common among the cave divers, LOL!

Seriously, I carry mine on most dives still. There are times while I'm waiting for a group to get out of the water at the dock that someone will lose something (weight, flashlight, something...), and having a snorkel at such times is handy.

BSea
07-27-2007, 00:29
I have a snorkle.....somewhere. I think it's a clear 1. Seriously, I don't use a snorkle. I keep it in my bag on trips in case a dive op requires 1.

medic001918
07-27-2007, 08:17
Add another non-snorkel user here. I just can't bring myself to use one while diving. It's more hinderance then help. I own one...I think. I just don't know where it is off the top of my head.

Shane

cummings66
07-27-2007, 08:46
I personally hate snorkels. I don't use mine at all. It can cost a person their life. Had to take the opposite extreme. In reality it can get in the way of your gear if you use a BP/W with a short inflator and longhose. It's usable, but a PITA and causes as many problems as it solves.

There is a time and a place, but for the most part it's not now or here.

creggur
07-27-2007, 09:11
Can't stand the thing hanging on my mask as most have said here... Will probably get a folding one to keep in my pocket, and take along if the situation warrants..

Just wanted to say, as an aside, it's nice to see a discussion like this not degrade into "Your going to die without your snorkel" or " a snorkal saved my life and you're all idiots for not using one all of the time" type of thing that I've seen on other boards.. Larry has built us a nice place here, let's try and keep it that way!!

thesmoothdome
07-27-2007, 13:56
I own one, but it doesn't dive with me.

Moxie
07-28-2007, 01:24
I lost mine a while back and wish I had one. Will buy another soon. I do a fair bit of shore diving and there is enough to see on the way out that I'd rather snorkel and enjoy the view rather than swim on my back.

Ajuva
07-28-2007, 06:05
Tend to use mine a lot, as Moxie has said about shore diving applies to me too.

The other reason here is most of the dive sites I get to are generally on the choppy side so it saves air.

Glorious British weather again.

DirtyWaterIL
07-28-2007, 11:52
the only time i use a snorkel is when I'm with students because the owner of the shop makes me.