PDA

View Full Version : Tobermory

BusDiver
09-16-2007, 21:20
Hey all,

Just got in from a wonderful weekend of diving in Tobermory. Dove the Niagria II this morning. What a wonderful wreck. I did not want to leave. The wife and I dove dry. Everyone else on our charter dove wet. Jen and I never felt the cold (temp at 77 ft was 52 degrees this morning). A few folks did not have problem in the water, it was on the boat. I am pretty sure at least 3 folks will be ordering dry suits by weeks end.

G and S was alright. Our captain did not have any of the right info. on any of the dives. Silly stuff like we were moored to the stern of the Niagria when we were at the bow. Telling us we were going to drop down to 55 feet on the Minch when you were fighting to find 35 feet. Like I said silly stuff.

I had one free flow from a screw up with my own reg. It was on the second stage and was not a true free flow. I used Jen's Octo until I could get the situation under control. Finished the ascent using my own Octo. The free flow was on the Scoville (again, wow) and at 74 feet. It was our first really "tense" moment and we handled it with out an issue. I did end up swallowing a little Tobermory water. It was tastey.

Capt Hook
09-17-2007, 00:01
Tobemory is one of the best spots on the Great Lakes.

BusDiver
09-17-2007, 06:20
It is a five hour drive (including ferry over to Canada) from my house. My wife and a few friends from our dive club were just shaking our heads on why we are such lazy sods and do not head up there at least two times a year. On the drive home I was listening to a comedian (not sure her name) who referred to Canada as an being like an attic. You never think about it being up there but when you go up for a quick look around you remember it is full of some really neat stuff. So true.

boat
09-17-2007, 19:00
Bus,

What ferry are you talking about?

BusDiver
09-17-2007, 21:42
There is a ferry out of Marine City that connects at Sombra, Ont. It is a great way to bounce back and forth. We dive the St. Clair River right by that ferry launch.

H20newbie
09-18-2007, 09:34
Hey Bus Driver!

Man our we close! We dive the Canadian side by Port Lambton...Sombra ferry is 15 minutes away. :smiley20:

H20newbie
09-18-2007, 09:36
I don't know who you captained with out of Toby but our guy is amazing! Dead on accurate about the wrecks, location etc. We have never had a problem with inaccurate info..pm me and I'll send you his info.

Nodivewidow
08-21-2008, 18:12
We can't go this year but want to plan a vaca next year here. Will 7mm do it? My husband dives dry and I never get cooled in Lake Ontario June to August but I think this is a little cooler.
We are on the east side of Lake Ontario about 3 1/2 hours from Niagara Falls west or one hour South of the Canadian border. Any ideas on the easiest way to get there?
I would love any info on where to stay and who to dive with from those with experience. Thanks Alicia