PDA

View Full Version : Bankers Capture 1000 lb. Mako

moosicman
06-23-2011, 14:52
Does this irritate anyone else? Maybe it shouldn't because I know sharks are caught everyday. I guess I just wish people knew better than to take such a massive shark. Should've gotten some good video and then just let him live! Too tempting I suppose...
http://video.foxnews.com/v/1017238509001/bankers-reel-in--lb-predator#/v/1017238509001/bankers-reel-in-1000-lb-predator/?playlist_id=87937

Flatliner
06-23-2011, 15:27
Yep...

Queen
06-23-2011, 15:40
Does this irritate anyone else? Maybe it shouldn't because I know sharks are caught everyday. I guess I just wish people knew better than to take such a massive shark. Should've gotten some good video and then just let him live! Too tempting I suppose...
Fox News Video - FoxNews.com (http://video.foxnews.com/v/1017238509001/bankers-reel-in--lb-predator#/v/1017238509001/bankers-reel-in-1000-lb-predator/?playlist_id=87937)
I'm not a fisherman so I'm a bit clueless, how come it's better leave the big ones out there?

Straegen
06-23-2011, 15:42
I am all for fishing but if you aren't going to eat the catch, put it back. Sometimes the fight can kill a fish and that is OK as well but they probably could have easily got it to the boat, caught it on camera and let it go.

Didn't know Maco's got that big though.

bottomdweller
06-23-2011, 15:50
I read an article about this, it says they sent the jaws to a taxidermist & split the meat between them. I guess at least they are going to eat it.

Straegen
06-23-2011, 15:57
I'm not a fisherman so I'm a bit clueless, how come it's better leave the big ones out there?

There are several reasons but a shark this big takes decades to get this size. Catching and killing a long lived, long maturing apex predator from a non-sustainable species isn't a very good idea. Not like catching/killing a more sustainable/replenish-able fish. I have a feeling one day people will look back on videos like these and be completely perplexed as to why someone would kill a fish like this for more sport than necessity.

I read an article about this, it says they sent the jaws to a taxidermist & split the meat between them. I guess at least they are going to eat it.

My point was that if you aren't fishing for food and I don't believe these guys were probably should just let it go. Great they can eat it but I don't think that is why they caught it. I would also add hooking a non-sustainable catch even if fishing for food is probably best to let it go.

Noob
06-23-2011, 15:58
I am all for fishing but if you aren't going to eat the catch, put it back. Sometimes the fight can kill a fish and that is OK as well but they probably could have easily got it to the boat, caught it on camera and let it go.

Didn't know Maco's got that big though.

Agreed. That is a huge Mako. No reason to kill something you are not going to eat. There are some good ways to help a fish along while it rests before release.

Big females are the ones that reproduce the most young typically.

Smashee
06-23-2011, 16:11
. Catching and killing a long lived, long maturing apex predator from a non-sustainable species isn't a very good idea. Not like catching/killing a more sustainable/replenish-able fish.

These are *bankers* though. Not a species renowned for thinking sustainably.

moosicman
06-23-2011, 16:13
There are several reasons but a shark this big takes decades to get this size. Catching and killing a long lived, long maturing apex predator from a non-sustainable species isn't a very good idea. Not like catching/killing a more sustainable/replenish-able fish. I have a feeling one day people will look back on videos like these and be completely perplexed as to why someone would kill a fish like this for more sport than necessity.

My point was that if you aren't fishing for food and I don't believe these guys were probably should just let it go. Great they can eat it but I don't think that is why they caught it. I would also add hooking a non-sustainable catch even if fishing for food is probably best to let it go.

+1

Just sad and irreplaceable. :smiley21::smiley13::smiley19:

Skred
06-23-2011, 16:48
The way I interpreted the story, it sounded like they abandoned the Mahi scouting when they saw the dorsal fin and went trophy hunting. In my mind, that makes them no better than the vermin who kill elephants for the ivory or those who engage in shark finning. Absolutely despicable. :smiley21: