PDA

View Full Version : Guys overtightening your gear

quarkuud
09-17-2007, 06:41
After greasing an O-ring on my light, I tightened it to finger tight. A guy sitting with me waiting for the boat decided it wasn't tight enough, and decided to show his muscles on it. Now, of course, I can't get the damn thing unscrewed to take the batteries out. I'm going to have to dig up the pliers!

Does this sort of thing happen to any of the rest of you? By the time I can say please don't touch my gear, it's too late. *Annoyed*

dallasdivergirl
09-17-2007, 09:25
I can't believe he did that to anyone! That's rude.

I would have asked him to untighten it.

awap
09-17-2007, 09:47
That is an especially bad move as overtightening a light will sometimes cause enough case distortion to result in a leak. Are you sure that there is not water inside now? If you get a leak in SW, the batteries give off a gas that may result in a postive pressure inside the light which will then seal and may be explosive. Be very careful opening it up.

Also, you might want to use a strap wrench on the light rather than pliers. Save the pliers for the guy who "helped" you.

ScubaJenn81
09-17-2007, 10:04
I would have given him the most evil eyes I could muster...

Vercingetorix
09-17-2007, 10:10
That idiot violated Rule Number One of the dive boat: Never, ever, touch another diver's gear unless you ask and receive permission. I may look at somebody's gear without touching , but unless I receive permission, NO TOUCHY.

jpep
09-17-2007, 11:27
That idiot violated Rule Number One of the dive boat: Never, ever, touch another diver's gear unless you ask and receive permission. I may look at somebody's gear without touching , but unless I receive permission, NO TOUCHY.

Absolutely agree. And if you have a problem with the light as a result of his screwing around... he should pay to repair/replace it!

sudnit5
09-17-2007, 11:45
I believe that he would have deserved a push off of the dock

Subaqua
09-17-2007, 14:41
I agree with the others, that was stupid and rude. Hope your light is not broken, otherwise I would ask him to pay. If you see him again, make sure he does not come near your gear again.

quarkuud
09-17-2007, 16:04
Thanks guys. It still works so it's not flooded at least. I have small hands, so I think the problem mostly is that I can't get my hand far enough around it to get a good grip. Pliers didn't help, but I'll take it to see if one of my friends can get it loose.

Vercingetorix
09-17-2007, 16:14
If you see him again, make sure he does not come near your gear again.Permit me to modify that statement:

If you see him again, smack him upside the head with it to make sure he does not come near your gear again

Liv7301
09-17-2007, 18:47
What a tacky jerk!!

Even with norine62 and I, who are married and have mostly the same gear, we speak before we actually go to "fix" something just in case it has been set that way for a reason. There are some differences in where we like to attach things, what extra pockets we use, etc. It's just good diving manners.

Definitely smack him around if you cross paths again.

CrzyJay456
09-17-2007, 18:52
who does that? it's a light, and has o-ring sealing it. you dont need the incredible hulk to tighten it to hell.

Osprey
09-17-2007, 21:31
I'm agreeing with Rick here, 'nuff said

scubasavvy
09-19-2007, 22:54
I would have clocked him in the head with it. I do find however that guys are generally more rough, though. Not all of them. Some of them like to show their masculinity...they're probably lacking in other departments ;)