PDA

View Full Version : Question about what gear to get for cave diving

teomart
06-24-2011, 14:43
Hi,
I've just started diving and I'd like to start purchasing my own gear. I will be getting my advanced cert next weekend and then move on to technical dive training. I'm very interested in cave and wreck diving.

Is it best that I start buying gear for technical diving, particularly cave diving, instead of basic rec gear?

If so, what recommendations do you have for cave diving gear?

Thanks,
Teo

FoxHound
06-24-2011, 17:12
have a look at this website:

Equipment Configuration | Global Underwater Explorers (http://gue.com/?q=en/Equipment/Config/index.html)

that will give you a good idea on what you will need to start off with.....

One other thing you may want to look at is sidemount configuration:

Why Sidemount - Steve Martin Sidemount Diving - Course Director PADI TecRec Side Mount Scuba Diving (http://www.sidemountscubadiving.com/WhySidemount/tabid/59/Default.aspx)

Here is GUE's cave 1 course outline.......it will also give you a good idea of skills you need and gear you need

Cave Diver Level 1 | Global Underwater Explorers (http://gue.com/?q=en/node/119)

There is a lot of info on this website about backplate and wings........have a look because a BP/W setup is the first step in gearing for tech.......but i warn you.......be ready to drop a ton more money then rec diving haha Tech requires 2 of everything it seems.....and tanks.....soooooooo many tanks

Dive lots, work on your trim and buoyancy,

navyhmc
06-25-2011, 17:13
The biggest piece of advice I can give you on gear for cave is wait and go do real world diving first. get a few hundred dives under your belt and then start looking at the tec and cave diving. Take it one step at a time. Get with a good group and see what they use and go from there. I like the BP/W set up and it will work for both tec and cave. but as Fox hound says the side mount is up and coming as the newst rec trend as well so that warrants some looks as well. But start with a bunch of dives!!!!

ssmdive
09-25-2011, 11:57
I'd say start with a good back plate and wing setup. I started diving BP&W right after certification.

As for specifics.... Best to get that advice from the instructor you are going to use.

FishFood
09-25-2011, 12:24
One other thing you may want to look at is sidemount configuration:

Why Sidemount - Steve Martin Sidemount Diving - Course Director PADI TecRec Side Mount Scuba Diving

PADI side mount? I'm a little scared to click that link...

PlatypusMan
09-25-2011, 14:11
The biggest piece of advice I can give you on gear for cave is wait and go do real world diving first. get a few hundred dives under your belt and then start looking at the tec and cave diving. Take it one step at a time. Get with a good group and see what they use and go from there. I like the BP/W set up and it will work for both tec and cave. but as Fox hound says the side mount is up and coming as the newst rec trend as well so that warrants some looks as well. But start with a bunch of dives!!!!

I second this. Why such a rush?

Learn to dive with what you have now, and ramp up over time to the tech/wreck material--you'll appreciate the training more at that point.

PPM

FoxHound
09-27-2011, 19:31

yeah no doubt.

just a blurb on what sidemount is.....IMO, great way to dive, just getting squared away on SM.

Ignore the PADI part haha.

ssmdive
09-27-2011, 20:38

I am trying to find a PADI underwater wedding Instructor.......Sheesh

lt.dan58
09-27-2011, 20:55
I am trying to find a PADI underwater wedding Instructor.......Sheesh
Try Vegas.... Elvis on every corner I'm sure one has taken the course

TheBlue1
09-27-2011, 21:59
Cave line! Gotta find your way out of course =]