PDA

View Full Version : Large tanks and ponys in Cozumel?

Michael Kazmer
09-17-2007, 07:41
Have been diving NC wrecks with a 133 cf and a 30 cf pony. I am planning a dive trip to Cozumel in March and would like to bring my tanks. Has any one traveled with your tanks? What are the rules for flying with or shipping your tanks ahead of time? Are large tanks and pony bottles available in Cozumel? I like staying down as long as possible sometimes even a little to long but at the same time like to know that I am well backed up.

DevilDiver
09-17-2007, 07:59
To take your tanks on a plane you have to disassemble them. :smiley5:

There is no reason that I can think of to bring tanks to Cozumel...... You might like to stay down as long as possible(Most divers will fit into this category) but you will be diving with a charter that will have a boat full of customers and they most likely would insist you follow their time limits and proceedures....

The diving is easy and with a little gas management you should get lots of bottom time and have a great time...... Have a great tirip.:smiley20:

underwaterdan
09-17-2007, 08:13
I would agree, no sense in taking apart the tanks, everyone provides them, not sure about the pony, and opting to not take them doesn't save too much on the cost of the trip. Unless you are moving there I would leave the tanks at home. As far as dive ops, I will give a plug for scuba with alison, she lets you dive your full tank, and also if you are a little bit of an air hog, and she remembers, she will bring you a larger tank.

Capt Hook
09-17-2007, 08:35
Are you planning on having your own boat?
If not, don't take your tanks, dive time will be controlled by the dive boat.
Using that tank wouldn't be fair to the others on the boat, it will be their vacation too.