PDA

View Full Version : Help need battery quick

Zeagle Eagle
07-01-2011, 04:05
My wife's dive computer is dead. We need a "J" battery real quick.We have tried all the usual places here in cozumel. There doesn't seem to be a a J battery on the whole island.Does anyone have any idea where to get one?

Clernix
07-01-2011, 04:53
I just bought the mares puck and bought extra battery. Havent even looked which ones they are just got the package will be on coz this afternoon

Zeagle Eagle
07-01-2011, 04:58
Thanks for quick reply. The Mares puck battery will not fit my computer; but, I really appreciate the effort

DevilDiver
07-01-2011, 07:08
I will stop by Walmart on the way to the airport this morning but I am not familiar with the size J battery.

If I have any luck I will post or PM you.

Jack Hammer
07-01-2011, 07:51
According to my crossreference chart, a battery type "J" is same as a 357, V357, D357H, SB-B9, SR44W, 228, 280-62, SR1154.

Zeagle Eagle
07-01-2011, 17:16
Thanks Jack and Devil Diver. I have the concierge at the Cozumel Palace looking for one as well as Alec at Del Mar Aquatics. Everyone is going out of their way to help. There doesn't appear to be one on the island.

scubajane
07-01-2011, 17:18
arrgh...I feel your pain... I always carry extra batteries for just such an event. maybe she can borrow a computer or if they have the same computer for rental you can borrow just the battery....

chinacat46
07-01-2011, 18:07
I always carry two computers and I check the batteries before a trip.

FishFood
07-01-2011, 18:57
I always carry two computers and I check the batteries before a trip.

Quite helpful this is to the OP at this juncture...

PlatypusMan
07-01-2011, 20:51
Thanks Jack and Devil Diver. I have the concierge at the Cozumel Palace looking for one as well as Alec at Del Mar Aquatics. Everyone is going out of their way to help. There doesn't appear to be one on the island.

This is a watch battery. Check with the various places that change out watch batteries for the Maxell SR44W or equivalent.

Many dive computers with user-replaceable power cells use the same batteries as watch movements. If you don't find it on Cozumel, check the jewelers/watch repair shops in Playa del Carmen.

Hope this helps!

PPM

Note: I'm assuming we are talking button battery here, and not a much older photo battery that also had the J designation which was square and in use by certain camera models.

Zeagle Eagle
07-01-2011, 21:18
I always carry spares; but, it's my wife's computer. What can I say.

It's a big honking battery, not a watch battery.

Zeagle Eagle
07-01-2011, 21:21
arrgh...I feel your pain... I always carry extra batteries for just such an event. maybe she can borrow a computer or if they have the same computer for rental you can borrow just the battery....,
I have several back up computers with me. None are air integrated so she needs a pressure gauge. It could be a good time to get the cobalt. Surely she can't complain about that

PlatypusMan
07-01-2011, 23:19
I always carry spares; but, it's my wife's computer. What can I say.

It's a big honking battery, not a watch battery.

That's the older camera battery I was referring to! Your best bet is the camera shops or the big Mercado store in Downtown San Miguel.

PPM

bennerman
07-01-2011, 23:24
Not to sound condescending, but can she not dive analogue and use tables? it's only for a couple of dives, I am sure

DevilDiver
07-02-2011, 01:45
Sorry... I could not find one.
If you want to hook up for a brew or two or three.. Let me know.

bennerman
07-02-2011, 02:14

or ten :P

Zeagle Eagle
07-02-2011, 17:41
No to sound condescending, but can she not dive analog and use tables? it's only for a couple of dives, I am sure
Of course she can but we are here for 8 days and hope to do 20 or so dives. We don't have any steam gauges with us nor the RDP. Much less no how to use one. The last time I used tables was 20 years ago,

We did borrow a gauge from Alec at Del Mar so she can dive. Still looking for a battery.

Computers are like cell phones or power windows, can't live with out them

Zeagle Eagle
07-02-2011, 17:47
Pulled out my backup computer and it crapped out...dead battery, go figure. Luckily, I have a couple of spare batteries.

bennerman
07-02-2011, 17:52
When I used a computer, having to cycle around to find what I wanted was irritating. I just prefer analogue

Grizbear98
07-02-2011, 17:53
You can get J batteries at Radioshack, they usually carry them at least my store does I know they don't probably don't have one where you are now but that's where you can find them

Zeagle Eagle
07-02-2011, 17:53
I would love to, where are u staying? We are on a tight sked with trying to get 3 dives a day and the usual tourist stuff for the girls. Then shopping !@#$%^&. We are trying to work in Dolphins, ATV's around the island, para sail, catamaran to paradise island. The usual spa stuff, massage, pedicures, nails. I am thinking of getting scuba flags on my toes.

We did Guidos last night. Planning Pepe's tonight.
Did C-53 today...no current...awesome Santa Rosa wall this morning.

Zeagle Eagle
07-02-2011, 18:04
You can get J batteries at Radioshack, they usually carry them at least my store does I know they don't probably don't have one where you are now but that's where you can find them

Yeah, that's where I bought the two that are sitting on my desk, that didn't make it into my dive bag.

scubajane
07-02-2011, 19:09
Yeah, that's where I bought the two that are sitting on my desk, that didn't make it into my dive bag.

dang that really stinks!!!!!! at least you have figured out how to still dive!!!

Zeagle Eagle
07-03-2011, 05:19
dang that really stinks!!!!!! at least you have figured out how to still dive!!!
I used to dive with no gauges...back in the day. We dived until we ran out of air and then pulled on the J valve and that gave us enough air to get to the surface. Now we have the Cobalt. Honey, princess, sweetie nuckums, if you are reading this an early christmas present would be nice. I heard it comes with a rechargeable battery and you can have my Oceanic Data Max Pro 2...LOL