PDA

View Full Version : PADI Diving Society

snagel
07-08-2011, 18:36
I've been getting membership requests for several years and really never thought about being a member. Today, I got another membership request and actually opened it. I'm confused, what exactly is this all about? Yes, I get a monthly magazine and it says discounts (probably not much of a discount for car rental and such), plus don't forget the bag. It's only $19, but still I keep wondering what is the benefit of being a member? What am I missing?

Snagel

scubatrucker
07-08-2011, 18:52
You get a free dive sticker for the back of your car, other then that and the bag, its 19 bucks they get to make more stickers and bags

snagel
07-08-2011, 19:16
Well, I got the sticker...actually several from all the letters they have sent me.

Snagel

Jack Hammer
07-08-2011, 19:52
I was a member for a year. The discounts they offer are the same basic discount package that several organizations offer, nothing fancy or special. IME, I could negotiate a better price just by asking what discounts were available than by going with theirs. Basically, I think their good for a free sticker and a crappy bag that falls apart...

DevilDiver
07-08-2011, 19:59
And there is a sticker....... and a bag.

I would send them the $19 if they would just quit sending the stupid letters.

I will keep the sticker...:smiley5:

below sea level
07-09-2011, 05:58
The magazine always has nice pictures.

TwistedSister209
07-09-2011, 08:11
My bag ripped as soon as I put a few light things in it.
The magazine isn't all that--IMHO.
I got tired of all the sales pitches, ads and yada yada.
I did not renew!

Diver Kat
07-09-2011, 08:21
Yeah, I think 1 year we used it for some decent discounts off a couple of classes in Florida some years ago, but nothing since then. Plus they didn't have a family plan and who needs 2 magazines!

scubajane
07-10-2011, 08:17
We had it for 2 years and then let it run out... mag is mostly advertising. I like dive training mag much better and the DAN mag is great!!

Noob
07-10-2011, 08:37
I got the same one you did. I was thinking about it but I felt the same as most of the other posts. I just tossed it.

navyhmc
07-10-2011, 22:08
I went green and put mine in the recycle.....

rawalker
07-11-2011, 01:23
Save the money on the subscriptions and put it towards PADI Divemaster certification. If you stay an active PADI Pro you are already a PADI Diving Society member and get the magazine.

Soonerwink
07-11-2011, 09:47
Save the money on the subscriptions and put it towards PADI Divemaster certification. If you stay an active PADI Pro you are already a PADI Diving Society member and get the magazine.

And you still get the frequent request to be a member. I even sent them an e-mail and told them that I was an active DM and that is included in the re-newal. I still get requests, by email and postal at least once a week.

gNats
07-11-2011, 12:14
Ditto. Let subscription run out. I had been a member for the magazine, but it is very very slanted to dive trips / warm water diving. Which is great if you can afford it. If not, it just makes you sad.

PTAaron
07-11-2011, 12:56
We signed up for the "3 year deal" because we like the magazine, it was relatively cheap, and we were supposed to get a fleece pullover and some other things for doing a 3 year renewal... so far after supposedly sending us our "gifts" 3 times we haven't seen them - and its been a year now.
Getting ready to email them again asking what the H is going on.

snagel
07-11-2011, 17:53
We signed up for the "3 year deal" because we like the magazine, it was relatively cheap, and we were supposed to get a fleece pullover and some other things for doing a 3 year renewal... so far after supposedly sending us our "gifts" 3 times we haven't seen them - and its been a year now.
Getting ready to email them again asking what the H is going on.

That's enough for me to throw their request in the trash. Dissing a fellow diver like that, to H with them.

Snagel