PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation needed: Resorts with Child care?

Kingpatzer
09-17-2007, 09:52
hey guys,

I'm looking for a place to go this winter for the wife and kids.

We've got 4 divers and 2 non-divers.

The non-divers are ages 6 and 8.

I'm looking for a resort that offers good interesting boat dives that are relatively easy carefree events good for OW certified junior divers with enough variety of marine life to keep mom and dad happy.

Meanwhile, the two littlest of the clan are kept buy and happy in a quality, safe, clean childrens program that involves plenty of cool kid stuff -- maybe even snorkling and the like.

For time on shore, I'd like to have unlimmited shore diving within easy access of the resort through mild to no surf, again, so the kids can do it.

And I'd like it all to be really reasonably priced!

So, who has recommendations for me?

divingmedic
09-17-2007, 11:44
Beaches Resorts come to mind. Also many of your All Inclusive resorts have child care programs. Anthonys Keys Resorts actually has a marine science program for kids of many ages, they are taken care of actually learn something. There is also a resort in Jamica called FD Resorts that has child care programs.

dallasdivergirl
09-17-2007, 13:00
When I was going to Roatan a lot I noticed all of the families were going to Anthony's Key with the little ones. They have a dolphin program. On the way back the kids were telling me how great it was.

Just be aware things are pretty expensive at the boat dock for snacks. $2.50 for a coke!

ertechsg
09-17-2007, 13:03
Allegro in Cozumel has a child program and on site dive op only down fall is it is far from town about $20 taxi ride but beautifal white beaches

Texas Girl
09-17-2007, 14:13
If I remember the information correctly, the Allegro children's activities don't start until long after the dive boat has left. That is the problem in most dive destinations, the children's programs don't start early enough.

I have two suggestions for you: Beaches in Turks & Caicos and Plaza Resort in Bonaire. At Beaches, they open up the children's activities 1 hour early for divers, so you need to know to ask. My daughter always insisted on staying until the end, instead of when we got back from our dive. We did not dive with Beaches, although they do offer it; we went instead with Caicos Adventures. They play games, swim alot, and since it is an all-inclusive, they eat frequently.

The program in Bonaire is a naturalist-type program. They teach the kids about the island and the ocean, snorkle, have a boat trip to Klein Bonaire, and visit the Donkey santuary. My daughter also had a great time at this, very small group of less than 8 kids a day. No shore diving here.

Unfortunately, neither of these places are inexpensive. I have never found a place in Cozumel with child care hours that match the diving schedule. When my son was little, we stayed at the Allegro and he went over by himself as soon as the program opened; but, he was very trustworthy and would do this, my daughter I would not do this with, because she has a different personality than her brother.

If anyone has any other suggestions, I would love to hear them. We usually take nieces on vacation with us to babysit, but they are all too old now.