PDA

View Full Version : What about snorkelers

jimmysdevoted
09-17-2007, 10:05
I am not a diver yet. I am working on learning what I can in baby steps and applying those to snorkeling. But snorkelers are a form of diving, how about those of us who enjoy it? can there be a new forum topic for us?

jwdizney
09-17-2007, 10:14
I agree, devoted, that snorkeling is pretty darn fun and uses a lot of the same equipment, techniques..... I started snorkeling myself because I wasn't even interested in diving....but watch out! it can lead to breathing with regs underwater!!!:smiley2:

Capt Hook
09-17-2007, 11:58
Wife and I have done lots of snorkeling, we love it. If we are somewhere with depths of 25' or less we will usually snorkel since you can easily dive to the bottom for a closer look if needs be.

dondi518
09-18-2007, 03:16
snorkler here also and going to deeper territories and will take up diving lessons!

Clanggedin
09-27-2007, 14:12
I have snorkeled for years and finally deciced to take the plunge (pun intended) and get my C-Card.

The only snorkeling I do right now is in my bath tub, at least until I start my SCUBA class, then I'll only be snorkeling to dives that are away from the beach.

diverdad
09-27-2007, 20:57
Snorkeling is a good way to pass during a surface interval. I snorkeled for years before i started diving.

ScubaGir1
09-27-2007, 21:14
Snorkeling is a good way to pass during a surface interval. I snorkeled for years before i started diving.
Same here! I was snorkeling since the age of 9 yrs. old with my parents at Catalina Island. But I needed to have a way to stay down longer since I could only hold my breath for ~30 secs. underwater. Diving was on top of my list of things to do :D

Disneymom
09-27-2007, 21:38
you know, if you snorkel, you will not be able to stop, and then you'll get addicted to the harder stuff, like diving.

Snorkeling will get you accustomed to breathing through your mouth, having your face wet and used to having fins on your feet, which in an of itself can be a little awkward at first. Personally, I think it's a great way for a person to start and get comfortable with water and the 'basic' equipment. And, as you practice you'll be able to hold your breath longer and stay down longer. I still love to snorkel and it's a great alternative to gearing up for a dive if you just want to hang out in the water.

PlatypusMan
09-27-2007, 22:59
you know, if you snorkel, you will not be able to stop, and then you'll get addicted to the harder stuff, like diving.

Snorkeling is a gateway activity?

Hmmmmmmmm...

Psst! Hey! :smiley17:

You--yeah, YOU! :smiley29:

Wanna take a hit off my reg? The first taste is free, man...:smiley2:

jimmysdevoted
10-06-2007, 19:37
I agree it may lead to acual SCUBa. I was contemplating SASY for a while. BUT the diving instructor told me that one of the prblems i had was the other instructor had me at a wrong body angle to try! The way he had me sitting up of course the bubbles would disorient me.. so we are going to try it in a proper position.. my snorkel angle! and see what happens.

Snole peopel make grat backup medic support and bubble watchers too!

Cojrock
10-07-2007, 23:38
I dive lots more than i snorkel tho theres something about the minimalist needs of snorkeling i just love... that and you can really hoon underwater compared to slow diving.

dogseatmayo
08-05-2008, 22:32
you can always freedive. and you can post in that forum too