PDA

View Full Version : Truk Odyssey Trip

Rorschach
07-12-2011, 18:11
We took a one week trip on the Odyssey the week before Memorial Day. Overall Odyssey experience was top notch. We spent one night at The Blue Lagoon before departing for another week spent on Kosrae. Blue Lagoon was abysmal. Tap water is not treated. Two other passengers had told tales of food poisoning from restaraunt on prior trips at Blue Lagoon. I got hit but had Avelox with me. Checked with front desk staff at check-in and confirmed our airport shuttle was 9 AM the next day. Also checked box for travel voucher at check-in and gave the travel voucher to the front desk staff at the same time. We were awakened by a 10:30 PM irate call from the front desk that we were about to miss our airport shuttle. I responded that situation was completely incorrect, we were traveling to Kosrae and confirmed our airport shuttle was 9 AM the next day. The desk was calling for folks flying back to Guam that night, not us. Front desk responded "So sorry, my mistake." but it still detracted from our peaceful slumber. At checkout the next morning, the front desk tried to charge me a second time for the room. I raised this issue and an older employee (supervisor?) at the front desk quickly located our file with our voucher inside. Just FYI on what others might look to happen or avoid on similar trips.

Here's the link to the u/w pics my wife took. She's working on our Kosrae trip u/w pics now and will then work on the above water pics.

Chuuk 2011 May 22-30

https://picasaweb.google.com/abrjwest/Chuuk2011May2230?feat=email#

Zeagle Eagle
07-12-2011, 22:46
I was just looking at my video of Truk Lagoon. I did it back around 1996 or so. Awesome diving. Is the blue lagoon dive shop still there. My Truk Blue Lagoon t shirt is on it's last legs.

The water was undrinkable back then too.

Noob
07-13-2011, 10:13
very nice pics. thanks for sharing

Rorschach
07-13-2011, 13:56
I was just looking at my video of Truk Lagoon. I did it back around 1996 or so. Awesome diving. Is the blue lagoon dive shop still there. My Truk Blue Lagoon t shirt is on it's last legs.

The water was undrinkable back then too.

Yes.

The one night we spent at The Blue Lagoon was the nadir of our two weeks in Micronesia.

I think my wife got a picture of the (makeshift?) recompression chamber there. No windows, it's a piece of thick walled pipe with heavy swing bolt closure heads. Pretty short too - I'm 6'-1" tall and I doubt I would have fit. Make sure you make all your required deco and safety stops while on Chuuk / Truk.

The Odyssey always had an aluminum 80 tank with EAN30 at either the 10' safety bar or the mooring line at about 10' but nobody on our trip needed to use it. Rest of the passengers were experienced divers and like us most had some tech certification. On the San Fransisco Maru dive, there was an aluminum 80 of air tied at the wreck in addition to the tank of EAN30 at 10', but no one needed to use either.

For us, Chuuk / Truk was a one-time experience. If we return to Micronesia we would spend one week each on Rota and Kosrae.

Defman
07-13-2011, 14:43
Thanks for the review and pic's... I gotta stop spending my $$$ on beer and hookers so I can go!! I have enough United/Continental miles to fly free, just gotta pay for room/food or liveaboard.

Rorschach
08-07-2011, 13:41
Here's the recompression chamber.

A fellow traveller named Omar got a pic of it and sent this to me.

Zeagle Eagle
08-08-2011, 09:33
Some old pixs from Truk Lagoon. The quality is low because they were captured from a video taken with Super 8 video tape in an Amphibico housing. About state of the art for me 15 years ago.