PDA

View Full Version : Wetsuits for Tall Women

CatBlue
09-17-2007, 10:28
Hello all! I am almost 6 feet tall and 138 lbs, give or take a donut. I own a women's Henderson Hyperstretch wetsuit which I bought for my first scuba trip (the Bahamas, December 2005). Unfortunately, the fit was not quite right. The sleeves and legs were not long enough (my ankles and wrists were exposed above my boots and gloves), and water sailed down my back and made me very cold on my dives (despite making sure the neck seal was firmly closed). It was very annoying because my boyfriend bought the same suit, but the men's version fits him perfectly (nice long sleeves and legs).

I am going on another dive trip in Curacao in 3 weeks. The water will be warmer than my first dive trip, but I am still considering getting a new wetsuit. Are there any tall ladies on the forum who can offer recommendations? Should I just get a custom made suit?

I look forward to your replies, kind regards,
Cat

Kingpatzer
09-17-2007, 10:32
Call Carolyn at Liquid Fit (http://liquidfit.com/).

Custom wetsuits are not much more expensive than off-the-shelf, and they're better in every way. They're easier to put on and take off, they keep you warmer (because they fit properly everywhere), and best of all, they will fit.

My wife and I both have our suits from Carolyn, and we can't say enough good things about her. She does everything possible to make her customers happy.

quarkuud
09-17-2007, 16:01
Bare makes a tall, which you could try, but I agree with kingpatzer that with your height, custom is going to be your best option.

Jellybeandiver
10-21-2007, 19:56
This is an issue I've come across many times. As I'm a bigger girl and taller. Companies don't seem to realize that not all women are the same height or build. Why can't someone make petit and tall wetsuits like they do in womens clothing. And hell you can't find women's suits over a size 16 and I need bigger than that. I'm forced into a men's suit which fits but is too tall.

gthomas
10-25-2007, 12:53
I also have the problem of to tall and large for womens wetsuits. I buy a man, but hate the fit in the chest. I lost a few pounds and thought that might help but when we went diving last sunday it was still to tight. I'm on a tight budget and the custom suits I've found so far have been to expensive. If anyone knows a good bargain please let us tall girls know.

Zenagirl
10-25-2007, 13:17
The recommendation to get a custom suit is really the best one. I've heard that the Liquidfit suits aren't any more expensive than a Henderson Hyperstretch suit, which aren't cheap, but aren't custom either!

PhD4JC
11-23-2007, 09:56
I am on the "wide" side, (lol) and am facing similar challenges, but there are no men's full sized suits that I can try instead...