PDA

View Full Version : Lake Michigan

BillS
07-19-2011, 13:16
I will be traveling to Milwaukee to dive Lake Michigan on the weekend of Aug. 13-14. This will be my first time to dive the lake and I'm trying to plan on what gear to bring. Can anyone provide information on water temps. this time of year?

tc_rain
07-19-2011, 16:11
You will need a drysuit or a 7mm with hood and gloves. It gets chilly when you hit the thermocline. I haven't dove it yet this year but I have the last 3 and it really doesn't matter the time of year too much as far as suits.

BillS
07-19-2011, 16:22
I'm good down to about 60 degrees in a 7 ml wetsuit. Anything cooler than that and I'll bring my drysuit.

PTAaron
07-19-2011, 16:44
Not real helpful for temps at depth - but surface temps can be found here: Michigan Sea Grant Coastwatch (http://www.coastwatch.msu.edu/michigan/m4.html)

DivingCRNA
07-19-2011, 20:17
I have 2 levels of thermal protection: 3 mm wetsuit and Dry suit. I am diving lake Michigan this weekend and am wearing underarmor, 400 gm undies and using argon for my dry suit with hood and gloves. I sold my 7mm when I got a dry suit.

Lake Michijim
07-19-2011, 21:53
Surface temps don't mean squat. Although the lake is warmest in August and early September, bottom temps are going to be in the 50's and colder. West wind on the Wisconsin side pushes the warm surface water out and bottom temps in the 40's are not uncommon. You'll want your dry suit.

Jim

ScubaCaveman
07-20-2011, 07:45
I just dove Lake Michigan this past weekend up in Traverse City. I wore a 7mm suit and hooded vest and was pretty comfortable. Water temp was about 55 at 65 feet. I hope this helps.

BillS
07-22-2011, 20:19
Thanks everyone for the information. Sounds like the drysuit is in order.

DivingCRNA
07-23-2011, 22:12
41 degrees below 35 feet today between Milwaukee and Chicago. Jus sayin.

BillS
08-16-2011, 10:43
Just returned from Milwaukee after diving with Jerry Guyer and Len-Der Charters. Jerry and crew did a great job. We made 3 dives, one each on the Prins Willem, No. 6 Dredge, and the Milwaukee before bad weather shut us down. Water temps were low 40's to high 30's. Dry suit definitely felt good! Even saw a Zebra muscle. :smiley13:

DivingCRNA
08-16-2011, 12:18
Just returned from Milwaukee after diving with Jerry Guyer and Len-Der Charters. Jerry and crew did a great job. We made 3 dives, one each on the Prins Willem, No. 6 Dredge, and the Milwaukee before bad weather shut us down. Water temps were low 40's to high 30's. Dry suit definitely felt good! Even saw a Zebra muscle. :smiley13:

Only one zebra mussel????

Jack Hammer
08-16-2011, 19:53

Jerry and crew are always a good time. Hope you enjoyed those wrecks, they are all a lot of fun to dive with quite a bit to see on (or under) each. Water temps up there are always a bit unpredictable. Last year I made a dive on a Saturday on the Milwaukee and had 60* temps top to bottom. The next day my buddies dove it and it was 60* on the surface and 38* on the wreck. Vis also varies dramatically, hopefully it was good enough for you to see more than just 1 zebra muscle at a time.