PDA

View Full Version : most important accesory

coralcrazed
09-17-2007, 11:21
Besdies your knife... what would you consider to be the most important accsessory. Since there are so many types of diving ut there. I would like to limit those respondingto recreational divers only. We all know that there are so many accessories out there to buy. mirrors, wistles, shears, multitools, mask strap covers ect. whats you favoorite and most importand after your knife that you carry down with you on every dive. If you wish please list all accsesories that you carry in order of importance. thanks

PlatypusMan
09-17-2007, 11:31
Besdies your knife... what would you consider to be the most important accsessory. Since there are so many types of diving ut there. I would like to limit those respondingto recreational divers only. We all know that there are so many accessories out there to buy. mirrors, wistles, shears, multitools, mask strap covers ect. whats you favoorite and most importand after your knife that you carry down with you on every dive. If you wish please list all accsesories that you carry in order of importance. thanks

Other than the obvious NEEDED to dive (BC, Mask, Tank, etc.) I would have to say the shaker stick in one BC pocket and the light in the other.

You never know when you need to attract everyone's attention, and you might want to shine a light on something in a hole or underneath an overhang.

sudnit5
09-17-2007, 11:44
I think a light would be necessary.

subsur
09-17-2007, 11:45
i don't think knife is the most important accessory. it all depends on where you dive. knife or line cutter could be the best one in one environment (lots of fishing nets or other potential entanglement hazrds), flashlight could be the best one in low vis water or some deep dive.

coralcrazed
09-17-2007, 12:11
wow I'm surprised at some of the responces here... A light? I can see a noise maker as being important. I think I will always carry my knife though. You never know what you might get cought on or need to turn over. I don't wear gloves so that my be needed to pry at something. I do admit that I have yet to take my knife out of the sheath underwater.

So, two follow up questions... what light do you recomend? I prefer someting compact that could fit in a typical bc pocket. and what type of rattle?

I saw this one and thought it was small and compact. what do you think?
http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/CategoryID_976/Context_974/Sort_Stock/DescSort_0/AQUNM.html?Hit=1

BobArnold8265
09-17-2007, 12:26
A whiste is always important but even more so in my opinion is a scuba sausage. It's pretty easy to catch a bit of current and drift away from your boat and a scuba sausage is the best way I know of to be seen.

Vercingetorix
09-17-2007, 12:43
So, two follow up questions... what light do you recomend? I prefer someting compact that could fit in a typical bc pocket. As an instructor told me recently, buy the biggest, baddest, brightest light you can afford. Then, buy your primary.

I saw this one and thought it was small and compact. what do you think?
http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/CategoryID_976/Context_974/Sort_Stock/DescSort_0/AQUNM.html?Hit=1 You DARE refer to a LeisurePro URL and product on the ScubaToys forum. Shame! SHAME!!! [Bannination to follow. It was nice knowing you:smiley36:]

Noise maker==>Trident Shaker (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=TridentShaker) used by my instructors, who just happen to work for ScubaToys.

coralcrazed
09-17-2007, 13:15
You DARE refer to a LeisurePro URL and product on the ScubaToys forum. Shame! SHAME!!! [Bannination to follow. It was nice knowing you:smiley36:]

hmnnn... dude, bannination... is that like a new scuba accessory or something? :smiley36:

Ok now seriousely does ST have a more compact rattler? 7" is like a huge poke stick :anim_spank:

Damselfish
09-17-2007, 13:20
Safety equipment as a general thing, some subset of whistle, air horn, sausage, mirror, strobe, whatever seems appropriate to you.

Light - needed at night and the right light is useful during the day. Light choices depend a lot where you dive.

Some kind of cutting device - I carry shears and never carry my knife anymore. I have yet to need either UW, but use the shears on land occasionally.

I find a slate useful.

I have yet to find any kind of UW noisemaker very useful. I do have a heavy carbiner clipped where I can easily take it off and bang my tank, if I really needed to.

My neoprene mask strap is definitely a good thing.

I have a retractor on my console, and would miss it.

Kingpatzer
09-17-2007, 13:25
my fish id slate ;)

skdvr
09-17-2007, 13:30
Double ender

so I can attach everything else...

Phil

CompuDude
09-17-2007, 13:34
How about a compass? I find that to be a pretty indispensable "accessory".

I dive with a light on every dive, as well. This may be less critical in high viz dive areas, however.

In terms of little "trident-style" (the manufacturer) accessories, however, well, I don't use too many of them. O-rings are certainly good to have along. I prefer simple, 100% reliable stainless steel bolt snaps to the little plastic and webbing clips that are popular. A slate can be handy for UW communication, there's one perhaps. Preferences vary widely on which sort, though.

Hmm... I'd have to think more on this, and see what all I carry with me on a regular basis.

PlatypusMan
09-17-2007, 13:41
Noise maker==>Trident Shaker (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=TridentShaker) used by my instructors, who just happen to work for ScubaToys.

That's the one that fits so nicely in my Zeagle Brigade pocket.

...and yes, I DID get it at ScubaToys, who now gets another shameless plug from me. :smiley2:

skdvr
09-17-2007, 13:46
double post

coralcrazed
09-17-2007, 14:17
Safety equipment as a general thing, some subset of whistle, air horn, sausage, mirror, strobe, whatever seems appropriate to you.

Light - needed at night and the right light is useful during the day. Light choices depend a lot where you dive.

Some kind of cutting device - I carry shears and never carry my knife anymore. I have yet to need either UW, but use the shears on land occasionally.

I find a slate useful.

I have yet to find any kind of UW noisemaker very useful. I do have a heavy carbiner clipped where I can easily take it off and bang my tank, if I really needed to.

My neoprene mask strap is definitely a good thing.

I have a retractor on my console, and would miss it.

alot oof really good suggestions... a couple of questions. why do you not like underwater noisemakers? and why do you suggest the neoprene mask strap? does it hold the mask better or is it for comfort? thank you for posting...

...and yes, I DID get it at ScubaToys, who now gets another shameless plug from me. :smiley2:

ok lets clear the air right now... I have shoped EXCLUSIVELY at LP. I personally never had any issues with them. I also think that thiere candy is unreal (but that has already been disgussed onanother thread :smiley2:)
Now, having said that. I was fortunate enough to have met Larry through SB. I never turned back ever since... So, why do I link to LP??? well, because since I shoped with them many times befor I know thier web site and what they offer and can locate it very quickly... I do plan to buy from ST soon. gotta round up the info and $$$. I take donations. I'll dance for scuba gear.
:chickendance::chickendance::chickendance:

Damselfish
09-17-2007, 14:31
alot oof really good suggestions... a couple of questions. why do you not like underwater noisemakers? and why do you suggest the neoprene mask strap? does it hold the mask better or is it for comfort? thank you for posting...
since you can't tell the direction of sound UW, the best you can do is maybe make someone look around and try and figure out where it's coming from. Including all the people you may not want to bother, unless it's a whale shark or something. At the same time, I can be right next to my photographer husband and I've found he won't hear (or pay attention to?) any sort of noisemaker - a poke in the side or a tug on a fin works much better. :)

the neoprene mask strap goes on and off easier and doesn't pull my hair. More comfortable and I like my hair to remain attached to my head. On the downside, takes longer to dry.

sudnit5
09-17-2007, 14:35
I have the neoprene mask strap and it makes a world of difference. The only bar part about it is when you have it under a hood it makes it a little bulky, but other than that it is great.

PlatypusMan
09-17-2007, 14:48

ok lets clear the air right now... I have shoped EXCLUSIVELY at LP. I personally never had any issues with them.

Easy....I wasn't picking on you, nor did I mention LP in my post.

Frankly, I was having a bit of a jibe at myself, since so much of my gear is from ST (where I am also a DM candidate, BTW) that I am something of a walking commercial for them when at a local dive site.

If we can't laugh at ourselves from time to time, then we're in trouble! :smiley5:

Bring the Payne
09-17-2007, 15:48
Hmm I think my light would be my number one accessory since we are designating knives as standard gear.

Aussie
09-17-2007, 17:01
Credit Card/s

WV Diver
09-17-2007, 17:04
Why instabuddy, of course. :smiley2: :smiley32:

coralcrazed
09-17-2007, 22:44
Credit Card/s
ok I haveto ask... are you using it as a tool? or buying with it. stupid but I had to ask.

ScubaToys Larry
09-17-2007, 22:47
Credit Card/s
ok I haveto ask... are you using it as a tool? or buying with it. stupid but I had to ask.

I believe they are referring to the "What is the best card for a trip to Cozumel? Nitrox Card, AOW Card, a Padi Card, Naui Card??"

"No... Mastercard!"

And very handy when you need to get into a locked hotel room!

Aussie
09-17-2007, 22:48
Credit Card/s

Whateva you like to do with it :smiley20:

Its waterproof too.

perfect accessory for any occasion

Aussie

Aussie
09-17-2007, 22:52
Credit Card/s

I believe they are referring to the "What is the best card for a trip to Cozumel? Nitrox Card, AOW Card, a Padi Card, Naui Card??"

"No... Mastercard!"

And very handy when you need to get into a locked hotel room!

Larry, your a wise man mate.

Need the CC for that backup camera on your new DIR rig that you have to buy to please the masses:smilie39:

Aussie