PDA

View Full Version : How much wood can a woodchuck chuck?

buddha0724
08-01-2011, 13:50
We have had a woodchuck in our facility now for about 2 weeks. We have a rough idea of the location but with all of the steel tubing and crates it is hard to pinpoint exacetly where he is.
Building is starting to get a really good smell to it. But from my understanding woodchucks are very smelly.
We thought he got out and all was good until the smell came. The he was spotted alive and roaming the floors at 4AM today.
I now have woodchuck trapping in my job duties. I hope I can live trap him and get him to a more suitable home. :smiley20::smiley20:

Defman
08-01-2011, 13:53
It could be worse...

How much wind could a windbreaker break if a windbreaker could break wind?

chinacat46
08-01-2011, 14:37
If you plant ice you're gonna harvest wind

snagel
08-01-2011, 16:58
Sounds like you need to watch some reruns of "Billie the Exterminator". I hear canned cat food works good for trapping bate for most critters....not so sure about woodchucks, but seen Billie use it a lot for skunks and racoons.

Snagel

TwistedSister209
08-01-2011, 19:33
I know we use moth balls to get rid of skunks back deck. They don't like the smell.

scubajane
08-01-2011, 19:39
I know we use moth balls to get rid of skunks back deck. They don't like the smell.
I don't like the smell either so I still would not be on the back deck....

Zeagle Eagle
08-01-2011, 20:32
Use a trap and bait it with veggies, melon peels, string beans, carrots, apples. Put it on a path he uses.

Vercingetorix
08-02-2011, 05:40
Contact local animal rescue or humane society. they will put you in touch with groups that do this as volunteers. I've used it for quite a few critters. You're not an expert. Let an expert handle it.

Try this HS: Bay Area Humane Society - Serving Animals And People In Green Bay and Brown County Wisconsin (http://www.bayareahumanesociety.com/)

buddha0724
08-02-2011, 06:52
Thanks everyone for the smiles and help.

So we have two traps out baited with lettuce and salmon flavored cat food and we struck out so far.

I have called the Ashwaubenon Public Safety's animal control officer and we have got no call back as of yet. Glad to see our tax dollars hard at work. Never thought about calling the animal shelter. Will call them today although not to optimistic they are equipped to handle this. I use to volunteer out there and at that time they refered everyone to their local animal control officer.

With this humidity and heat this building definitly has a ripe smell to it thanks to the woodchuck. I go home and that smell is in my head.

No sighting this morning either. Might have to keep trying and then over the weekend while the building is shutdown, go nuts and set out a ton of traps. Our problem is we have no idea were he is living in the building or his paths.

Thanks again for all of the comments

Zeagle Eagle
08-02-2011, 14:40
Use melon peels, string beans, carrots, apples. If that doesn't work use a sexy female gopher in the trap.

JLeFever
08-02-2011, 14:43
They will eat quite a variety of foods such as lettuce, spinach, green beans, peas, squash, zucchini and cucumbers.
They are known to eat berries as well.
Woodchucks will commonly nest underground beneath homes or sheds.
Being a large animal, the opening is anywhere from 4 or 5 inches to as much as 8 or 9 inches in diameter.

good luck, It's gonna be tough to catch that little bugger.
Glad you are trying to live catch it and relocate, instead of just killing it.

Last year I had a family of possums living under my back deck.
The mom died and left the babies under there to fend for themselves.
We rescued 1 out of 3, but the other 2 died and it smelled for weeks.