PDA

View Full Version : NO DIVING at Mount Storm Lake

WV Diver
08-06-2011, 09:18
For those who are unaware there is currently a dive by boat only restriction for Mt. Storm. I don't know a lot but what I have been able to ascertain from some of the folks I work with who are in the know and very reliable sources is that it seems that the ever present problems between boaters, swimmers and divers has escalated to a point that the owners of the lake and Mt. Storm power plant, Virginia Power and Electric Co. (VEPCO) have put a stop to all wading, swimming and shore diving until further notice.

While the details are fussy and few it would seem a group of folks were swimming in and around the boat launches and boaters were concerned that someone would get hurt during the launching and retrieval of boat traffic. I have seen swimmers in the boat launch area before first hand jumping from the floating loading/unloading platforms and generally enjoying the boat launch area for their swimming activities.

The boaters concerns are certainly appropriate and warranted and I think everyone would agree that the safety issues involved with having people in the water, and certainly in the boat launch area, during launching and recovery of boats is problematic and ever present. No one wants to see anyone get injured.

Of course the boat launch area is not and has not ever been designated for swimmers in any way and indeed swimmers should NOT be near the launch area at anytime.

So where do the divers fit into all of this? The answer is no one is exactly sure that any diver has been implicated in this current complaint but since swimming is an intricate aspect of diving and the fact that the shore diving entry area is close to boat launch it would appear that divers, in general, have been lumped into the category of swimmers.

As a result the boaters have complained that since they buy fishing and boating licenses they should have exclusive rights to the launch area and the lake. Managers of VEPCO have, as a result, put a stop to all wading, swimming and yes shore diving until further notice.

However I also know that VEPCO, the WVDNR, representatives of the boaters and other related parties are working toward a suitable conclusion for all those involved and that something will be decided. The time frame for this decision is being measured in weeks at the moment but all parties would like to resolve this issue as soon as possible.

The WVDNR does not own the lake, as many folks believe, they merely lease the boat launch, shore diving entry area and parking areas for the purpose of recreational activities. DNR law enforcement is currently patrolling the area and asking folks not to wade, swim or shore dive.

So unless you have a boat don't plan on diving Mt. Storm. As I find out more details I will post them for you but remember my summer schedule is very busy and I have little time to pursue this particular issue in detail. It is very likely that you will know information before I.

GFD113
08-06-2011, 16:51
Complete BULL $H!T!!!!!!!

scubajane
08-06-2011, 20:02
arrgh

now what?? Right now it's too hot to dive about 2 weeks ago it was 92 degrees on the surface. I hope this gets cleared up soon. There are 2 separate entrances 1 for boating and 1 for scuba. I say just stop the swimmers. or designate where they can swim...

WV Diver
08-07-2011, 09:58
I've contacted a couple of the dive shops that use the lake and they are going to explain to VEPCO how they use the lake for training fire fighters, police officers and boosting the local economy with sales, classes, campground fees, the local restaurant and hotel near the lake. Many divers use the campground and hotel for diving purposes. I'm sure divers use these things more than boaters. At any rate divers are definitely contributing more economically than the price of annual fishing and boating license fees.

scubajane
08-07-2011, 11:31
my thoughts exactly!!! I can show them receipts if they would like!!

OUBobcat
08-07-2011, 11:48
My LDS went there this weekend to do OW checkout dives and had 20 people to certify. They didn't know about the ban until they showed up after their 4 hr drive. Luckily the people getting certified were part of the local fire department back here and they had enough connections to use the fire departments boat there. The owner of the shop said he has already expressed his displeasure to the WVDNR. He also said he would post more info when he returns today or tomorrow. He also said the surface temp was 95.

scubajane
08-08-2011, 17:16
we need to be polite and express our displeasure and be careful to not burn any bridges. I still want to know what I can do to help!!

scubajane
08-11-2011, 19:51
any news yet????

WV Diver
08-11-2011, 19:57
Dominion phones are being inundated with calls from divers and at this point it isn't helping our cause. Best thing we can do at this point is 1) Don't call them 2) Cross you fins and hope

scubajane
08-11-2011, 20:08
do the boaters pay a fee to use the docks and boat ramp?? I would be more than happy to pay a fee to dive!!

OUBobcat
08-12-2011, 20:19
Here check this link out: MT Storm Petition. please sign (http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/mid-atlantic-bottom-feeders/392161-mt-storm-petition-please-sign.html)

WV Diver
08-13-2011, 06:38
Boaters buy the normal fishing and boat licenses.

scubajane
08-13-2011, 13:27
thanks!!!! I'll be signing this!!!!

mocepts
08-18-2011, 06:34
Hey All,

Word on the street is we are allowed to dive at Mt. Storm again! Apparently DNR has set up a few basic rules:

1. Divers must pick up their trash and keep the area clean.

2. All divers must use the diver entry area, meaning the step area, and are not to enter the water near the boat dock.

3. Divers are to use as little parking space as possible. If you bring a tarp, or tent or canopy it is to be infront of your vehicle and not beside it. In other words, only one spot per vehicle.

Doesn't sound bad at all. Most of us did this anyway. And I hear DNR will be patrolling the area a little more often, so make sure you use those dive flags.

WV Diver
08-20-2011, 06:12
Yes, Storm is open for diving again. However, there are on going negotiations that will take place over the winter with new rules, policies and expectations that will likely take place beginning with the new dive season in 2012. In the meantime all the points highlighted by Mocepts should be followed. We aren't completely out of the woods yet but at least we are diving. :O) Safe diving, enjoy.

baywatch106
08-21-2011, 18:01
That's good news!

scubajane
08-22-2011, 20:32
yay we can dive again!!!!!! now how hot is the water???? it is likely to be above 90 degrees.... we will need to put icepacks in our wetsuits.

scubajane
02-02-2013, 21:35
soooo we have not been to Mt Storm in more than a year... what is happening there???? any rule changes??? I have heard that they are only allowing 'boat dives' soooo if I take my inflatable kayak will I be in compliance????