PDA

View Full Version : She Has The Look

Vercingetorix
09-17-2007, 17:24
During my 55 short years on this planet, I've had wives and girlfriends (note to self: NOT AT THE SAME TIME, idiot). Despite their differences, they've all had two looks in common:

1) You Just Got Lucky. You know what I'm talking about. To be the subject of a future thread

2) The Look. The look you get when you fart and refuse to apologize. The subject of this thread.

Now...I've a theory that this look has been passed from mother to daughter for at least 35,000 years (when Cro-Magnan man entered Europe to challenge Neanderthal). Perhaps, it dates further. In this ritual (practiced to this day) the mother says to the daughter, "Today,we discuss how we control the men in our lives. Do you know how we do this?" To which the girl replies "Ask him nicely."

The mother laughs at such naivete. She then gives the daughter The Look. The young girl recoils under the scathing, blistering, stare. The mother relaxes, smiles, and says "Today, I shall teach you, this most ancient of secret."

Dose that special lady (wife, girlfriend) in your life use The Look on you? How do you react? Do you have a defense that you might share with the rest of us (be careful, as we don't want Them to learn this)? I've mentioned The Look in this forum elsewhere, and the menfolk have understood.

fat_aardvark
09-17-2007, 18:10
I know The Look! Though for me it was usually the trigger for the girlfriend to become an ex-girlfriend...

My wife has never given me The Look, but she does has a benign version which consists of a stange smile and a roll of the eyes.

Kunk35
09-17-2007, 18:23
You know, I've tried the look on my wife, but it just doesn't have the effect. What, are they immune?

kingfish
09-17-2007, 18:47
Hmm...I seem to be the one dishing out the number 1 look and i tend to get the number 2 look afterwards...

I also find i get the same look when i say things like..."yeh i wont drink too much"....."it shouldnt take too long"...."I can fix that"...etc...etc

Jas.

creggur
09-17-2007, 19:01
You know, I've tried the look on my wife, but it just doesn't have the effect. What, are they immune?

Just like when somebody tries to give my wife a "sad" look to get their way, she just say's "I have a bassett hound, you'll never look that pathetic"

I think they are immune to ALL looks....

JahJahwarrior
09-17-2007, 19:10
I think they are immune to ALL looks....

They are especially immune to my good looks!

I do have good looks, right? Right? *crickets*

Desert_Diver
09-17-2007, 20:28
There was an old TV comedy called "Home Improvement" with Tim Allen. One of the most memorable programs was called "The Look". And when delivered by a pro (i.e. any graduate of Wives School), it can blister the paint in the room and make strong men blubber and beg for mercy. Not a pretty sight.

No antidote. No cure. All you can do is suffer. I think after a while, you might build up scar tissue but it is only minimal and fleeting protection.

Art

Flatliner
09-17-2007, 20:34
I thought "The Look" meant "You WEREN'T going to get Lucky"

Phestr
09-17-2007, 23:15
I thought "The Look" meant "You WEREN'T going to get Lucky"

Usually. I don't get it from my wife that often, and I just kinda blow it off. I mean, if you already got it, your done anyway, right? I get it from other women all the time (I have alot of female friends), and my reaction is "That look doesn't work on me, I'm married."

Mtrewyn
09-18-2007, 00:24
Phestr has the right idea. I am married, have a 15 yo daughter, and a 4yo daughter, my mother tought H.S. Chemistry for 20 yrs than moved to teaching Pharmocokenetics (I cannot spell to save my life here) at OU med school, and I work with 90% women and if I get the "look" I probably deserve it and the damage is done so shrug it off and learn to not do it again or better not to get caught next time.

wxboy911
09-18-2007, 07:34
When I get the look I have usually earned it...sometimes its almost like she is trying to use the Jedi mind trick or something.

Cheddarchick
09-18-2007, 07:47
The Look = If you know the look well enough to understand it.....You need the look administered

divingmedic
09-18-2007, 19:22
My wife can not give me the look for farting, she farts more than me.

bversteegh
09-18-2007, 22:32
After 25 years and few hundred thousand "looks" - I don't even react anymore; refuse to give her the satisfaction of acknowledging her disapproval (of course, doesn't do much for the old love life - but a man has to have principles:smiley20:)

Dark Wolf
09-20-2007, 14:09
My ten year old daughter has "The Look" down pat. As far as a defense against it.......I threaten to spank her butt. But one of the women that I dated LIKED that part, so results may vary!

DW

Charles R
09-20-2007, 14:17
I just look back into her eyes and say "these are not the droids you are looking for" While waving my hands infront of her face. The look quickly turns to a smile and she forgets why I got the look!:smiley20:

Vercingetorix
09-20-2007, 14:30
I just look back into her eyes and say "these are not the droids you are looking for" While waving my hands infront of her face. The look quickly turns to a smile and she forgets why I got the look!:smiley20:The humor angle. Well played, sir. I get the wife laughing; she'll then say something like "I shouldn't laugh; it only encourages you".

Charles R
09-20-2007, 14:32
I just look back into her eyes and say "these are not the droids you are looking for" While waving my hands infront of her face. The look quickly turns to a smile and she forgets why I got the look!:smiley20:The humor angle. Well played, sir. I get the wife laughing; she'll then say something like "I shouldn't laugh; it only encourages you".

But dose she forget why she gave the look thats all that matters

crpntr133
09-20-2007, 19:19
Nope no look here. Not that it would do much good.

GDiver
09-21-2007, 11:06
When I get the "look", I just run for cover and spend at least an hour in the shop fixing one of the things that I would have gotten the "look" for at a later time.

Vercingetorix
09-21-2007, 12:05
But does she forget why she gave the look? thats all that mattersNot always, but she's kinder about it...

plot
09-21-2007, 19:00
so i need to find a girl that grew up without a mom right?

DZorn00
09-21-2007, 20:18
I just look back into her eyes and say "these are not the droids you are looking for" While waving my hands infront of her face. The look quickly turns to a smile and she forgets why I got the look!:smiley20:

Note to self: Try this one. The smaller they are the more that the look is devastating.....my wife is 5'1" 100 lbs

foo
09-22-2007, 11:04
so i need to find a girl that grew up without a mom right?

Sorry, plot- good idea, but it won't work. The sisterhood takes those poor, hapless women under their wing, and makes sure that they are properly indoctrinated to the look. There are many women who don't require much training- it just comes natural.

You're all sunk.

Bill22
09-23-2007, 05:15
I know The Look! Though for me it was usually the trigger for the girlfriend to become an ex-girlfriend...

Ahhh... so nice to see someone who understands ;-)

shanenurse
09-23-2007, 15:17
Mine is still a fiancee. I imagine the look will start next month... after we are married!

Cheddarchick
09-23-2007, 16:00
Not if you never provoke the LOOK......It is avoidable.......

plot
09-23-2007, 17:30
Not if you never provoke the LOOK......It is avoidable.......

Yup. Just never look at her!

Desert_Diver
09-23-2007, 17:46
Mine is still a fiancee. I imagine the look will start next month... after we are married!

Next month?

Run for your life. There's still time....

Art

IrishSquid
09-23-2007, 18:33
There is hope! Have any of you learned how to tune your wife/girlfriend out during a ball game, cards, etc? You know what I'm talking about, there is this subtle sound in the background noise, but it doesn't register until one of your Buddies tell you that she was there. The wife/girlfriend gets over it and doesn't even bring it up later. I am 3/4 of the way to perfecting that same technique on the LOOK. It kinda works this way:
Have you ever noticed how no matter where, when, how, etc.; you see the HOT GODDESS that takes your breath and the planet seems to disappear and all that exisits is HER? Well, just kinda look a little off to the side from the look so they think your still looking at them, and envision that goddess. Presto! Remember though: It's only 3/4 perfected so I have suffered a few times.

shanenurse
09-24-2007, 14:24
Now that you mention it, I am not quite sure why I would be getting the LOOK. Does that mean I did something wrong? Or that she thinks I did something wrong? A little help from you married guys,

creggur
09-24-2007, 16:07
Now that you mention it, I am not quite sure why I would be getting the LOOK. Does that mean I did something wrong? Or that she thinks I did something wrong? A little help from you married guys,

Oh you definitely did something wrong...Even if she just "thinks" you did something wrong, you did. Doesn't really matter if you actually did or not. Her perception is that you did something wrong, and perception is reality...

cshel
09-30-2007, 16:54
You got it!

all4scuba
10-02-2007, 16:11
I don't know if she gave me The Look. Was I supposed to look at her when she speaks to me? What if Boston's winning?

Storm
10-03-2007, 12:21
I'm not certain, but I belive THE LOOK may date at least back to biblical times. There were some rumors about Adam and Eve having an argument over who was a t fault for getting them kicked out of the really cool apartment, which lead Adam get realy mad and ask for his rib back, spawning the first official "LOOK"

eagle1
10-03-2007, 15:15
This is just great guys, and my wife has tried the Look on me, at look at her, tell her she looks cute when she does it, she gets mad at that and goes to the other room and pouts....LOL. I guess mine's a little different maybe.:smiley18:

Vercingetorix
10-03-2007, 15:26
I'm not certain, but I belive THE LOOK may date at least back to biblical times. There were some rumors about Adam and Eve having an argument over who was a t fault for getting them kicked out of the really cool apartment, which lead Adam get realy mad and ask for his rib back, spawning the first official "LOOK"Must be in the Apocryphal texts

TopSully
10-03-2007, 16:30
My antidote to "The Look" is to leave the room and go to the garage. I know I'll have at least an hour of quiet time. :-)

scubajane
10-03-2007, 20:37
the look.... apparently i need it very seldom....once or twice in almost 30 years.... I am shocked at how devistating it is to hubby and how it is really a frustration on my part. I am imperfect and i am not a princess and the thought of 'controling my man' with 'a look' is horrible. education is much more effective than discipline. I am often the one in need of education. I also am not a puppet. communication is the key to a healthy relationship.
oops, mabye you guys just wanted to whine and not prevent "the look"

cyclone
10-04-2007, 01:30
:smiley20: Ignore... The next day would be different.:smiley2: I lived for the day and each day of my life. Just enjoy it if she's giving you the look, and when she turn her back then it's your turn to give her the look, like this:smiley17:. It's your partner anyways:smiley29: cherish her no matter what:smiley5: love is always in the air:smilie40:. I just love my wife, that's all.:smiley32:

cyclone
10-04-2007, 01:33
I'm not certain, but I belive THE LOOK may date at least back to biblical times. There were some rumors about Adam and Eve having an argument over who was a t fault for getting them kicked out of the really cool apartment, which lead Adam get realy mad and ask for his rib back, spawning the first official "LOOK" Did Adam ever asked for a divorce from Eve.:smilie39::smilie39::smilie39:

Krakenn
10-06-2007, 07:34
Hey Verc

Can I ask a personal question of you please?
Without being rude becuase I know that you are a little touchy about some of the sunset clauses I referred to you but there is something that is really bugging me and i need to ask it.

Do people over the age of 50 still like, um, ahh - Do they still do it mate? - If you know what I mean? Or is it in the look?

Kraks

Bill22
10-06-2007, 20:43
Hey Verc

Without being rude becuase I know that you are a little touchy about some of the sunset clauses I referred to you but there is something that is really bugging me and i need to ask it.

Do people over the age of 50 still like, um, ahh - Do they still do it mate? - If you know what I mean? Or is it in the look?

Kraks

God I hope so! Especially since I'll be there myself soon :-D

datamunk
10-06-2007, 21:03
i wish i had a girl to give me the look :( the only look i get for are blank stares from dead fish... which, are nice, actually...

cyclone
10-07-2007, 05:36
My grandfather told me the last time they did it is when he's still around 70ish and my grandmother is 60ish. I guess it's in our family. :smiley36:

cyclone
10-07-2007, 05:38
i wish i had a girl to give me the look :( the only look i get for are blank stares from dead fish... which, are nice, actually... That's a problem I can't solve. Hmmm... take an art class or something. I heard girls are more defined.:smiley20:

Krakenn
10-24-2007, 08:57
nah dude take up a sport like SCUBA and stuff a sock down your lycra.
You'll definately get a look.

Smiles

Kraks

Anne Eastwell
11-06-2007, 17:01
My wife can not give me the look for farting, she farts more than me.

:smilie39::smilie39::smilie39::smilie39::smilie39:

Anne Eastwell
11-06-2007, 17:06
Hey Verc

Kraks

Kraks,

You are in deep doo doo now!!! Insulting the boys as well as the girls... you're too smooth!!! :smiley29:

Anne Eastwell
11-06-2007, 17:11
i wish i had a girl to give me the look :( the only look i get for are blank stares from dead fish... which, are nice, actually...

You need to find a new dive site.... if you're looking at dead fish there's something wrong!:smiley36:

Anne Eastwell
11-06-2007, 17:13

You need to find a new dive site! If you're looking at dead fish there's something wrong! :smiley36:

Tableleg
11-07-2007, 08:55
No you don't. You're miserable now with out the look, you'll be miserable with the look. You're screwed either way! :smiley36:

I don't even want to know about the dead fish... :smiley5::smiley36: