PDA

View Full Version : Suunto D9

Dale
09-17-2007, 18:09
Is anyone using one of these beauties? Comments?

Dale
09-21-2007, 10:44
Guess not.

I'll let you know how it works :)

CrzyJay456
09-21-2007, 12:59
not using one, but i have seen it in action and seen the pricetag on it... i dont like it.
i hope you like it and are happy with your purchase, but within my realm of reasearch... i seem to be drawn either to the Atom2 or the aeris AI atmos... just my 2psi.

let us know how you like it, and how that digital compass works.

Dale
09-21-2007, 13:02
I managed to work the priced down to $1K with the transmitter, so I didn't get hurt too badly there. I can tell you where to get a slightly used one now with transmitter for $800.

What did you not like about it?

BrianS.
09-23-2007, 00:21
I considered it, then realized I could get a decent computer for under $500 by buying another brand.

CrzyJay456
09-23-2007, 01:24
I managed to work the priced down to $1K with the transmitter, so I didn't get hurt too badly there. I can tell you where to get a slightly used one now with transmitter for $800.

What did you not like about it?

for some reason i really wanted the Aeris AI atmos. a nice computer, air integrated. then i started looking at the Atom 2 instead, for the fact that it is a watch. and now, somehow Black-Gorrilla has talked me away from wireless air integrated, and just wanting an atom 2 without the transmitter, and have a analog pressure gauge. he says that that is his desired set-up, until today, when he now wants a Mares Nemo wide. GO FIGURE!! tomorrow he will probably want something else, and every week there after until he buys something. i saw that he is talking to someone about a VT pro wireless, but that might be for one of our friends.

Aussie
09-23-2007, 07:10
Is anyone using one of these beauties? Comments?

I have a Suunto D9 and it was purchased when they first came out a couple of years ago.
The D9 that I had was one of those ones that had "issues" and had to be sent back to Finland to be reprogramed. This was a pain in the butt as the Australian Distributor wouldnt replace it and I had to wait 6 weeks for my to get back to me. About 6 months ago there was factory recall on them and it was sent back again for reprograming. They installed a new battery at the time of this recall which was handy as my battery was about to die.
Short time after this recall and new battery my D9 started to play up again. It would clear the history of the the last dive not take into account the dives already done that day. Which isnt good when your doing a few dives a day.
It was sent back again and again it wasnt replaced. They just removed the module (internals) and put a new one back into my existing case. Again it took 2-3 weeks to sort out.

So now I have a brand new internal computer with the orginal case. Its working fine and had no issues yet.

The D9 is a great watch style computer and I wear mine like a everyday watch. The time has to be adjusted every few months or so as it doesnt hold its time as good as normal watch (Casio).

The computer itself has all the features that will ever need for rec diving and it can be use as an AI computer when combined with the Suunto transmitter. It has in its dive mode AIR, Nitrox and also Gauge. Guage mode is basically turning the computer off and using it as a depth and bottom timer. It important to read the instructions as if use the computer as a guage it locks itself out for a period of time (i think it was 24 hours).

When diving the display is easy to read and buttons easy to use even with 3mm Gloves.

If your using a transmitter with this computer it also provides your current cylinder pressure information as also calculates your remaining time left until you reach a reserve level (ie 35bar/500psi) using your current gas consumption level. There is an issue with pairing the computer with the transmitter. Basically you have to turn the computer onto dive mode and place the computer right next to the transmitter to pair them both. If you do not it will not work in AI mode. Also I have been told that there is an issue if more than one transmitters are used on the dive, as there might be a conflict between transmitters and computers if they were paired with the same code.
In general the Transmitter is an expensive extra which I wouldn't buy again if i had the choice. The infomation it provides is nice to have but not worth the cost of the transmitter. I ALWAYS dive with a good brass/glass SPG as my primary gauge.

The D9 also provides gas switching from different levels of Nitrox use. You have 3 different gas setting which you can change from. I have set one level to 21% and a second for 40-50% which provides all the gas switching needs that I have.

Suunto's algorithm has been discribed as conservative and there is an option with the D9 to change the RGBM algorithm to 50%. Only recommended for divers that dive on a regular basis as it makes the algorithm more aggressive. It also has DEEPSTOP which is Suunto's way of adding deeper decompression stops at different interval depths. An example of this would be stopping at 20m for 2min then 10m for 2mins, 5m for 2min etc etc. Instead of only stopping at the normal 5m for 3mins. This is good to use if your doing deeper and longer dives and maybe entering into deco diving.

The Dive log provided onboard the computer is pretty impressive. When you look into your divelog it comes up with a matrix display of your dive. It has your starting depth, time, cylinder pressure, water temp. As you run along the log it is displayed as a graph showing you all the information on your screen.

When plugged into your home PC or laptop you can down load all the information from your dive computer into the Suunto's dive manager program. Basically its like a electronic dive log book and offers several functions like adding photo's, SAC rates, gear profiles, the list goes on.

The computer itself with its titanium body is bullet proof and the crystal display is hardy. The display isnt scratch resistant but it takes lot of effort to scratch the display. The rubber strap is well suited to the computer and lasts about 250-300 dives before its due for a replacement. The bands replacement cost of $50 is a bit expensive I believe. It also comes with a extra piece of band to be used with diving in a drysuit.

Electronic compass does the job but I rarely use it anyway. Its not as accurate as analogue but its built in and it works.

I would personally look at the diving your going to do and decide if you are going to use all the features that the D9 offers as the cheaper D6 does most of what the D9 does except it doesnt offer AI and has one less gas changing options to name a few. Seriously think about geting the transmitter. Is it really worth the extra cost for the information it provides over the analogue brass/glass SPG?

I am now happy with my D9 as it has had all its "issues" sorted and I guess I had a bad version for the start. I presume all the issues have been removed with the current models available. Its a very compact computer and offers about everything most divers want in a watch style dive computer.

Hope this helps

Aussie

medic001918
09-23-2007, 09:01
I just saw this thread. I use a D9 and have for the past month or so (so mine only has about 9 dives on it). I didn't get the transmitter for it, since I'm not sold on the whole wireless idea and air integration isn't that important to me. I like the standard SPG set up, it's reliable and keeps my gear consistent with my wife's.

I haven't had any issues to date yet, and I don't have a problem reading the display. Even in poor visibility. I don't use the compass, since I like my computer to be just that...a computer. I use a separate wrist mount compass on the opposite wrist.

I like that the D9 has the gas switching, but I haven't used it...yet.

Like was already mentioned, the dive log is a great feature. It's nice to see your dive profile without having to download the log to a computer. I can review it immediately after a dive.

All in all, I'm happy with it. Although, there are other computers that do just as fine of a job for a lower price. I don't know if I would have bought mine if it wasn't a gift. Since I have it though, I'm happy to own one and have had no issues.

Shane

Travelnsj
09-23-2007, 10:20
I have one that I got when they first came out....I also had to send mine in for re-programing. One thing I really do not like about it is when you pair the computer and you are in line to jump in.....someone has a problem...you are held up a few minutes.....jump in you get the FAILED signal for AI...I would look and see what else is out there before you buy the D9.

medic001918
09-23-2007, 11:31
If you get the failure, you should be able to repair it by holding it behind your head for a few seconds to resync it. At least, that's what I've heard. I don't use the AI feature of mine, so I have no experience with it.

Shane

Travelnsj
09-23-2007, 12:57
If you get the failure, you should be able to repair it by holding it behind your head for a few seconds to resync it. At least, that's what I've heard. I don't use the AI feature of mine, so I have no experience with it.

Shane

I have done that....sometimes it works...sometimes it does not.....usually I am headed down....so I get Failed....very aggravating!

plot
09-23-2007, 13:20
I'm anti-suuntu right now. Too conservative (which some people like, but I'd prefer to set my own conservatism instead of having my computer threaten to lock me out...). I loved my vyper for along time until I started hitting NDL's and my buddies still had 5-6 minutes of bottom time left!

Outside of all that though, the suuntu's only real selling points right now seem to be the craptastic digital compass they have on all of them... outside of that, look at an oceanic atom or something. Alot better computer for the money imo.

Dale
09-30-2007, 10:31
So, I picced up on of the little darlings. It looks like it's gonna rock, but will know more next time I dive.

ScaredSilly
09-30-2007, 22:58
The comment that I have seen often is that the compass is fine on land but not useful underwater. I playde with the D6 compass in the store and was not that impressed. I also did not like the matrix display. As such, I bought the Vytec instead.

As for the conservativeness, this has never been a problem for me or my wife who uses the Cobra. We racked up a lot of deep bottomtime while diving in Truk Lagoon. I think once we had a unintended deco obliation which cleaned just by going up shallow and handing out on the Kingpin - which was fine.

Also I am not a dive watch fan. That said I do have a D3 which is my back guage up for technical dives.