PDA

View Full Version : Servicing reg/octo

franksrq
09-17-2007, 20:09
I bought my whole diving setup in about april. I have used all of my equipment many times and i know that certain things need to be serviced at specific intervals. What is the low down on taking a reg/octo in for a pro to look over. about how much does it cost, how often should i do it, and what is usually included in the service?

CrzyJay456
09-17-2007, 20:34
the time is once a year, with some exceptions, like scubapro and atomic are 2 years ( i believe)
price, around here is 55+ parts (usually)
people say BC's need to be checked over too...

coralcrazed
09-18-2007, 00:03
from what I understand its around $100 with typ. parts and you should service once a year. that is if you dive the equipments or not.

ScubaToys Larry
09-18-2007, 00:09
http://www.scubatoys.com/store/regs/regrepair.asp

jo8243
09-20-2007, 11:57
I'll be sending mine to ST next time... the shop I normally use takes like 3 months to service gear! Nuts....

subsur
09-20-2007, 12:13
the shop I normally use takes like 3 months to service gear! Nuts....

that's ridiculous!

as mentioned - for regs - once per year mostly. if your reg is of a "exotic" brand you may have hard time finding a service place. make sure you test your reg after servicing it in relativele shallow water. i keep hearing that sometimes there are problems with serviced regs.

coralcrazed
09-20-2007, 12:20
thishas already been disgussed but once a year $50 throughST $100 almost everywhere else. includes part replacement and cleaning (sonic)

ccarter
09-20-2007, 12:28
the shop I normally use takes like 3 months to service gear! Nuts....

that's ridiculous!

as mentioned - for regs - once per year mostly. if your reg is of a "exotic" brand you may have hard time finding a service place. make sure you test your reg after servicing it in relativele shallow water. i keep hearing that sometimes there are problems with serviced regs.
My nearest shop is the same way.. I'm going to be sending my Reg into ST after I get back from the Caymans for it's yearly. Also I won't have to drive an hour! :smiley20:

CompuDude
09-20-2007, 13:09
the time is once a year, with some exceptions, like scubapro and atomic are 2 years ( i believe)
price, around here is 55+ parts (usually)
people say BC's need to be checked over too...

Atomic's service interval is 2 years, but nearly every other manufacturer (including ScubaPro) is every year.

Note that all manuf's, incl. Atomic, say that interval should be shortened and service more frequently if you are diving heavily (say, over 300 dives per year, which many instructors and commercial divers hit quite easily). Sadly, that is not a problem for me...

Foo2
09-20-2007, 19:09
Just got Fooman2's reg serviced at ST...it was $49.95 plus parts. It ended up being about $70 give or take. Not a bad price to pay to stay alive underwater. Good luck!

jwdizney
09-20-2007, 23:19
buy em at ST, service em at ST... no brainer!

awap
09-20-2007, 23:26
Just got Fooman2's reg serviced at ST...it was $49.95 plus parts. It ended up being about $70 give or take. Not a bad price to pay to stay alive underwater. Good luck!

It also keeps the tigers and elephant away. How's that for a bargain?

Actually what you get for that price is a reduced risk of regulator problems (poor performance, freeflows, and leaks) that may interrupt your diving. But, in the hands of an inept tech, you might turn a perfectly good regulator into a dangerous regulator that could suffer catestrophic failure at depth as a result of under or over tightening one or more connections. I have never heard of any serious problem with a ST serviced reg.