PDA

View Full Version : Rescue Diver

Noob
09-06-2011, 09:21
I am just about finished with this class. Talk about a class that is extremely rewarding. Its not an easy class but if you haven't taken it you might want too. IMO, it is the best class I have taken so far self help and what to do in emergencies.

Chilly
09-06-2011, 12:05
Noob,

I couldn't agree more. I think I became a much better dive buddy once I completed the course. It also helped to refresh those Basic Life Support skills. I highly recommend the course to any diver once you are ready.

SynCitizen
09-06-2011, 15:48
I'll save my congratulations till you finish but in the meantime good on you for taking the class and expanding your skills for your own well being as well as the divers around you!

gNats
09-06-2011, 19:20
Congrats on your coursework!!

For me, Tec 40 was THE class. Rescue diver taught me how to save someone when something goes wrong, but tec 40 does a much better job of teaching you how to be a self reliant diver and a better buddy. This is the class that gives you the skills to work through diving problems at depth as they occur.

Adv nitrox and deco would be the IANTD equivalent. I forget the TDI equiv.

TheBlue1
09-06-2011, 21:22
I'm glad to hear this! I was hoping to take Rescue in the near future and I wasn't sure if it was worth it - I know it's a required step, but I'm glad it is worth it in and of itself

JLeFever
09-06-2011, 22:58
Congrats.
Thats my next goal also.
Prob. gonna take the cpr/first aid class here soon, and then rescue diver class next spring/summer.
Would love to do some DAN classes too, if I can find time.

DiveHard
09-07-2011, 16:15
Rescue...One of the best OW courses that will/ should reveal your strengths and weakness as a diver. Knowing one's limits is important to the safety of every diver. Including those around you. WTG!! Keep it up and never stop pushing yourself to learn. Remember to stay humbled. Complacency is dangerous.

Bigg_Budd
09-07-2011, 19:15
loved rescue, dude. great time. good skills.

lt.dan58
09-08-2011, 03:38
I am also about done with Rescue and actually got to use some of the first responder training the other day while sitting in traffic and a young lady was having a seizure in the car next to me... had to do first aid/cpr training my whole life but it was a nice refresher and our instructor made our practicals rather fun... will hopefully finish the class next week and then off to DM training!!!

navyhmc
09-08-2011, 08:18
One of these days, I will get my Rescue done...I did all but two dives in '86 and the instructor took off and went to Belieze. So until I do finish it, my buddies will have to be content that I at least did part of it and am a paramedic so I might be able to help. In all honesty, I will be getting it one of these days.

Zeagle Eagle
09-08-2011, 08:27
One of these days, I will get my Rescue done...I did all but two dives in '86 and the instructor took off and went to Belieze. So until I do finish it, my buddies will have to be content that I at least did part of it and am a paramedic so I might be able to help. In all honesty, I will be getting it one of these days.
How many people think we should assign, as homework, for navyhmc (AKA: Slacker) to complete his rescue course? :smiley2:

lt.dan58
09-08-2011, 11:01
honestly I think everyone should take rescue even if you are an emergency responder on surface due to the fact that its different when you are in water... the scenarios they put you through definitely make you think about how to respond... I hope I never need to utilize my training but im glad I know what to do in the event that it happens

Straegen
09-09-2011, 15:36
I recently read this blog post and it has me thinking:

Why We Should Not Teach Rescue Diving (http://blog.simplyscuba.com/index.php/2011/07/why-we-should-not-teach-rescue-diving/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+simplyscubauk+%28Simply+Scuba %29&utm_content=Google+Reader)

FFDiver
09-09-2011, 16:12
I recently read this blog post and it has me thinking:

Why We Should Not Teach Rescue Diving (http://blog.simplyscuba.com/index.php/2011/07/why-we-should-not-teach-rescue-diving/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+simplyscubauk+%28Simply+Scuba %29&utm_content=Google+Reader)

I can understand the thought behind not being profecient at something such as rescue without doing a bunch of it to build experience. I think it is like everything in diving. Learn everything you can and practice as much as you can to hopefully build confidence. The hard part is understanding how a person will react will the oh crap moment hits. A person has nothing to judge themselves against when a high stress level situation arises. I am a firm believer that ego gets people in trouble in may situations. Having learned a skill and thinking they are an expert at it leads them down a dark road that can lead to failure. Never stop striving to learn more. The cert card just gives you permission to learn more and to hopefully do it safely.

in_cavediver
09-09-2011, 17:06
Its an interesting read and I do see and agree with several points.

Then again - you can read the exact same arguements for the Advanced Open Water course.....

If the name was different, would that help? And AOW diver is not necessarly advanced. A rescue diver does not necessarly have the skills to rescue divers.

If you truly wanted to have 'rescue' level skills, a continuing ed program and recert process should be in place. I have to do this to maintain my EMT. When I was a lifeguard - I had to recert periodically as well(don't remember how many years). The more I think about it, the certifications I have that have some level pf professionalism associated all have continueing ed or recert procedures to keep. Only one is good for life (and that may change as well...).

As for the content of the recreational rescue diver course - I think is GREAT. You might tweak the message a bit about just what their training and card means when compared to many Public Safety Diving classes. (PADI rescue curriculum is pathetic as compared to high quality Public Safety Diving Classes as an FYI). That does not make the class worthless - just directed to a different goal. I see the class as self-rescue and buddy-rescue skills, not professional rescuer skills. Its basic first aid before the EMT/Medics arrive if you will. Everyone can learn basic first aid, not everyone can/wants to be an EMT/Medic.

If you can keep the proper perspective on what recreational rescue diver courses attempt to achieve, they are great and every diver should take it. If you want to use them as training/certification for a professional rescue diver role, you'd be in over your head pretty quick.

navyhmc
09-09-2011, 17:13
I to a point agree with the no rescue, but then again, I have to absolutely disagree. I've done all the course work and a few of the dives so I have a good unrestanding of the Rscue diver cirriculum. I can say that learning it once and not practicing it is still better than not learning those skills at all. In a nut shell, (and those who have indeed completed the Rescue chime in please) these skills are not building a Saturn V rocket or attempting to do delicate brain surgery. The skills are very simple and are practiced enough in the sessions and dives that you do build up a little motor memory that in many cases seems to pop up into the short term memory when the crisis hits.

As an example: in 1986, in my Paramedic class, we learned and practiced a skill called synchronized cardioversion. Not a hard skill, but if not done correctly can, well, kill a person, or at the very least put them in ventricular fibrillation. It wasn't until 7 years later taht I had to actually preform the skill. It went like clockwork as the training was in immediate recall. The patient lived and did tell me "Please don't do that again!"

The only folks I worry about are those that get their feet wet in a simple course such as Rescue diver and think they know enough to be "THE" rescuer in any situation. It's an entry level course and should be looked at as such. In essence, you're helping keep the victim alive until the profesionals get there. Kind of like a few years ago, I was at a local mall and a patron suffered a seizure right in front of me. I was able to catch them before they fell, get them on the ground and keep them from hurting themselves. This guy literally comes running through the crowd assumes the "Superman Stance" (also known in our vernacular as "The Ronco Expand-O-Chest" )and proclaims for everyone in the Tri-state area to hear: "I am a first responder... I will take care of this" and proceeeds to tell me to do things that are incorrrect - never and I mean never put a finger into a seizing patients mouth to keep them from swallowing their tongue My response was: "Well, I'm a paramedic, havethings in hand, 911 is called and here they come. Please go to the security office and make a full report of this incident on their form (made up number)". Surprisingly, he headed that way and I got nasty looks from the security guys for weeks after that.

DiveHard
09-09-2011, 20:56
The most important thing I took away from taking Rescue from 2 different agencies is my personal limits. First rule of rescue is not to place yourself in a position of becoming a victim and needing rescue yourself. I certainly do not put myself at any level near those who are the pros. Could I competently assist with in my known limits? Sure. But it took me taking those classes to find out what my limits were. Worth every penny too me. Who knows maybe too someone else as well someday. So long as they do not need CPR while floating on the surface. Your butt is getting drug too the boat or shore.

Zeagle Eagle
09-09-2011, 22:55
Slacker:smiley36:

Noob
09-12-2011, 09:21
Well I passed!!

SynCitizen
09-12-2011, 09:33
Well I passed!!
You have my sincere congratulations!!!

DiveHard
09-12-2011, 10:06
Congrats! Now you should know your limits and capabilities. Stay with in them. That is where you can do the most good.

navyhmc
09-12-2011, 12:42
Congrats Noob!

lt.dan58
09-14-2011, 02:48
Is there more advanced Rescue training courses available to non-EMT people? When I was in the Marine Corps I went through combat first aid, and then when I arrived at a small unit that we had to share a Corpsman I learned Advanced combat first aid (not the exact name but it works), I want to continue learning more but do not really want to become an EMT. I figure you can never learn enough about saving someones life... any suggestions?

cgvmer
09-14-2011, 19:55
Great class the skills learned made me more comfortable in the water. I just don't understand why Rescue diver doesn't require time based re-certification. I continue to re certifying as a lifeguard every 3 years and CPR every 2.

Glub000
09-14-2011, 22:04
Congrats Noob.

Tom H
09-15-2011, 17:35
Great class the skills learned made me more comfortable in the water. I just don't understand why Rescue diver doesn't require time based re-certification. I continue to re certifying as a lifeguard every 3 years and CPR every 2.

Maybe you have a point. Not quite sure I agree. I must renew EFR (or similar first aid, etc.)
every 2 years. I skim through a page or 2 daily in the manual, so when I take the renewal it's a matter of a one night class, some discussion, a video, and CPRing the dummy for 5 minutes. Changes in procedures are available on the PADI pro site. So, I pay $90 to do what I already know. Perhaps renewal of Rescue would be more important and practical. But the Rescue course itself was what, $200? There is also just re-reading the manual and occasionally practising skills with a buddy--that probably would be fit the bill I would think.

pigman
09-27-2011, 09:32
I just finished my rescue diver cert this past weekend. I had alot of fun. It was a challenging course. It has made me more aware of my surrounding and other divers.

cgvmer
09-27-2011, 13:22
lt.dan58 Take a look at Wilderness first aid Wilderness First Aid Classes in DE, MD, NJ, NC, PA, VA (http://wfa.net/) the course is designed for responding to emergencies when in remote areas.