PDA

View Full Version : cold natured woman!!!

mpd525
09-17-2007, 20:55
I started a thread in the wetsuit section about this, but i'm curious what some of you other women use. Basically she gets cold in an old a little too big 3mm, she wore a mens 5mm this weekend that was a little too small, but said she was warm. I'm nervous about getting her a 5mil because if we go on a trip and she's hot then i'll have to buy another wetsuit. SO, she's getting a 3mm henderson friday, and i told her we could get her a 3mil shorty to wear over it, or something like the Pinnacle Merino Core warmer, or one of those fancy thermal skins. Or should she just get a vest. To me it makes more sense to get the full, and shorty that way she's got both, and she can layer them. What do you ladies think.

dallasdivergirl
09-17-2007, 21:48
I wear a long sleeve 3 ml shorty rental in roatan which was great. I will be using a a 3ml short sleeve shorty with a rash guard & a 5ml with a hood in bonaire. I know I will get progressively colder each dive of the day. warm booties help too.

Zenagirl
09-17-2007, 21:53
If the water is 79 degrees or less I wear a 5mm full. I think layers are an excellent choice as I now have a 3mm vest to layer under my 3mm or 5mm full.

mpd525
09-17-2007, 22:39
so do ypu think it will be better to just get a shorty then, and maybe a vest with a hood?

dallasdivergirl
09-18-2007, 06:48
so do ypu think it will be better to just get a shorty then, and maybe a vest with a hood?

I think something with a hood would be an excellent choice. I know that in the winter they tell you to keep your head covered because that is where your greatest heat loss is.

ScubaJenn81
09-18-2007, 06:55
I think it would be good to have a rash guard, a 3 mm, a 5 mm, and a hood. Then you can pick and choose what you need based on that day. Can be $, but they are good investment pieces.

BobArnold8265
09-18-2007, 08:50
Funny things about wetsuits. I've gotten cold in them before but can't say that I've ever felt hot in one (when in the water). I know a lot of folks that dive even in tropical waters in a 5 mil so you wouldn't be the first !!!

Reggie
09-18-2007, 11:47
Tell you wife it is all in her head. I mean this quite literally. The very best thermal protection item I have ever purchased for my wife and me are Henderson hooded vests. They are light, flexible, inexpensive and they work like nothing else. Not only is there a large thermal loss from the head itself, think about those blood vessels running up the neck. The hooded vest protects them as well so the blood is warmer heading to the bean. Then there is the extra layer of neoprene on the body core. The vest will take up some extra space in a suboptimal fitting suit making it more efficient. The hooded vest will also snug things up so less water comes in around the neck. Remember, your suit is designed to minimize the movement of warmed water next to the body.

ScubaGir1
09-18-2007, 15:00
I have a 3mil shorty, 3mil longsleeve, and a 7mil full wetsuit. I also have a hooded vest :) I get cold VERY easily, so I am now prepared. When I was diving in Cozumel I still wore my 3mil shorty. Not b/c I was cold, but just to be safe from drifting into something or getting stung, bit, etc. AND I was perfectly fine and not hot at all in that suit :)

mpd525
09-18-2007, 15:51
i think i'm gonnna get her the hooded vest and a shorty, and between all that she should stay toasty.

Chocoholic
09-29-2007, 18:42
Hooded vest is a good way to go, BUT let her try a bunch on. I tried on about four of them before I got one that fit and I could turn my head with it on. Some of them were way to tight in the neck and then loose in the body or the other way around.

ladyfish
10-03-2007, 12:19
I'd recommend a hooded vest and a full suit. If she gets cold easily, she'll be happier with a full suit than with a shorty. I get cold easily. I always dive a full 3 mil even in the tropics (we're talking water in the 80's). The reason? A week of diving will zap your energy. A week of diving when you are even a little bit cold will make you too tired to dive the entire week.

As far as I'm concerned, more is better. I wore too much wetsuit one time, and I was pretty warm, but just unzipped the zipper and let some water flow in. Then I was fine.

Good luck with your purchase, and make sure it fits her properly!!!

SeaLily
10-03-2007, 12:50
The key is having it all fit properly. If the wetsuit is too big, it will result in more heat loss.

I prefer to layer and wear a full wetsuit (1-5mm depending on location and water temp) with a henderson gold hooded vest. The hood is a key factor in guarding against heat loss.

scubajane
10-03-2007, 21:19
mabye try a vest and a beanie. i wear a beanie because I can't stand anything tight around my neck I started wearing a beanie for hair control. I thought I was diving in a kelp forest and discovered it was just my hair playing octopus with my mask. the beanie helps with cold control. I have a skin suit and a 3ml and a 5ml. my skin fits under either my 3 or 5 or I can wear it alone. I thikk the way to go is to layer. I like having my arms and legs covered and it allows me protection from stinging corals and sharp rocks. I son't have a vest but that may be my next purchase. when I wear a 5 ml I feel like my legs are spring loaded. by keeping your trunk warm you keep the rest of you warm.. another thought is to be sure she gets completely warm after diving. I have a rice bag that Imicrowave for 1 minute and lay it over my heart. I get toasty warm all the way down to my toes in 20 minutes.

Anne Eastwell
10-23-2007, 21:03
I've just bought a vest with hood b/c I got really cold on my last dive. I think the water temp was about 16 deg celcius, 2 deg colder than I've dived before. I've got a 5mil long wetsuit and dive in that all year and am usually comfortable. Must be age creeping up!

Chocoholic
10-23-2007, 22:31
I wore a hood in Nov last year and was a little chilly until the DM tucked it in (duh) and it made a huge difference to not have the cool water getting in the neck seal.

Boris42
10-24-2007, 08:01
Ok, I'm a newbie but I have to ask. How warm does the water have to be to get too warm in a full 5 mil? That's what cshel and I have just because most of our diving will be in quarries. It might be 82 deg on the surface but it's sure to be in the 60's or cooler below the thermocline. So far I've never been too warm even when we stayed above it. In fact on our last dive she got chilled in 78 deg water. (Sometimes I think her body thermostat needs to be calibrated)

caroln
10-24-2007, 08:57
Ok, I'm a newbie but I have to ask. How warm does the water have to be to get too warm in a full 5 mil? That's what cshel and I have just because most of our diving will be in quarries. It might be 82 deg on the surface but it's sure to be in the 60's or cooler below the thermocline. So far I've never been too warm even when we stayed above it. In fact on our last dive she got chilled in 78 deg water. (Sometimes I think her body thermostat needs to be calibrated)

I don't think you'll ever get too warm in a 5MM and definitely not in a quarry. I was diving this weekend and it was in the 60's, and I had a full 7MM with 7MM boots, a 7MM hood, and merino lined 5MM gloves, and was not cold, but certainly not overly warm. Those merino lined gloves were one of my best diving purchases so far. I used to always get cold starting with my hands, and then it would radiate throughout my body, but now that I have those gloves, I can stay comfy through multiple quarry dives. I'm kicking myself for not getting the merino lined wetsuit.