PDA

View Full Version : Scuba Mau

UteDiver
09-22-2011, 22:04
So, I am scheduled to dive with Scuba Mau this November. I am wondering if anyone has been there since the accident and if things are still operating normally? I have emailed and it seems that everything is fine. I just want some reassurance. I have heard good things about them, but have never dove with them before.

scubajane
09-24-2011, 16:41
where are they????

Diver Kat
09-24-2011, 16:45
Scuba Mau is a dive op in Cozumel. From what I hear, Victor is currently keeping things going. Never dove with them, but they have a big fan club.

ParrotheadDiver
09-28-2011, 14:53
it is reported business as usual...

rayaa3
09-30-2011, 10:49
I scheduled my dives a few weeks ago - for the trip I'm making Oct 15. Sounds like all is running fine. If you are accustom to emailing Opal, her brother was working her email account, and helping run the shop.

If things aren't going normal when I'm there (2 more weeks!) - then I'll come back and update the thread.

stldiver1
09-30-2011, 16:44
Scuba Mau may live on but will never be the same. Opal passed away last night. Thoughts and prayers to her family.

UteDiver
10-22-2011, 16:56
So, apparently the dive shop formerly known as Scuba Mau will now be called "Opal's Dream". Mau apparently is starting another shop called "Scuba Mau". I am still diving with them (Opal's Dream I guess) and would love to here any recent trip reports. Thanks.

ScottW
10-23-2011, 09:39
If you knew and dived with Opal in the past, it will not be the same. If you went there for Mau, it will not be the same. Right now Opal's Dream is the same team, same style, same everything less Opal and Mau. If changes happen it will be down the road.

rayaa3
10-23-2011, 14:25
I just came back from my vacation. Diving with Opals Dream aka Scuba Mau is very much the same experience as it was before. Monkey and Julio lead most of our dives. However, the crew is the same minus of course Opal, and Gabi. Joesph, Opals brother seems to be involved in the shop. He is quite determined that the shop will continue to live on as his sisters legacy. I'm not sure how much he is involved in day to day operations. He dove with us on our first day as a ride a long, but he isn't a dive master or instructor. Victor is running the office. They still operate the same. You only pay $50 for your reservation. You pay for your diving at the end of your stay, which I like, because if dives are cancelled for port closure you don't have to worry about refunds on credit cards or anything like that.

I dive with scuba mau because the service is great, and the dive masters, captain, and shop staff treat you like friends. From what I can tell, this event has only bolstered everyone's passion for doing business this way. I'll be back to see them in the spring some time, maybe next June.

rayaa3
10-23-2011, 14:27
where are they????

Next door to villa Blanca hotel, under papa hogs.

DevilDiver
10-23-2011, 17:07
Glad to hear they have carried on with the shop, it is a terrible situation and Opal will forever be missed. Best wishes to them, I will continue to dive with Opal's Dream every chance I get.

Ray,

Hope the vacation went well.