PDA

View Full Version : Grab, pull, push, squeeze.... Clips?

NewDaScuba13
07-13-2007, 22:08
Just starting, I'm still looking at stuff that I'd need. Well, I checked out the clips section and....smileys/smiley29.gif. I've never seen so many. Why clips? And why a clip octo holder instead of a little rubber thingy, or mouth piece thingy? There's wayyy too much... I'm sure there's even some rigs that some has HAD to have done too.

Please. Someone enlighten me. smileys/smiley9.gif

Joew
07-13-2007, 22:46
Yeah, it does seem a little ridiculous at times. I guess having all these different types of clips and fasteners lets everybody find whats right for them. What's important is that all your gear is secure and easy to get to.

cummings66
07-14-2007, 11:08
The important thing is that you secure you gear. Many don't care for the octo holders because they tend to cause freeflows unless you have holes in it to stop that.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Clips are a similar story, you need one that can't be opened by brushing against something for safety. However, not all divers see things the same way and what's not safe to one will not be to another.</DIV>

CompuDude
07-14-2007, 13:03
I don't use anything other than stainless steel bolt snaps for clips. Nothing is more reliable. Back when I used a standard octo, I used a simple $1-2 snorkel keeper. A simple slip knot through a D-ring, and stretch the other loop around the octo mouthpiece, same as the more expensive solutions. Simple and effective. And the snorkel keeper doesn't use cheap elastic that dies within a year or so.

jacewindu
07-14-2007, 14:00
i'm a big fan of simple carabiners. but d-rings on bc's are pretty versatile. it's basically whatever works for you

CompuDude
07-14-2007, 14:12
i'm a big fan of simple carabiners. but d-rings on bc's are pretty versatile. it's basically whatever works for you

Carabiners? aka suicide clips? No thanks...

Joew
07-14-2007, 14:58
Carabiners? aka suicide clips? No thanks...

Actually, I think "suicide clips" refers to boat snaps. But I think you got the main point across. If you use carabiners, you will die. smileys/smiley36.gif

CompuDude
07-14-2007, 18:12
Suicide clips refers to any clip where the gate will open without any action by the user. That definitely includes carabiners, although not locking carabiners (which aren't a good choice for other reasons).

I didn't make the term up. :)

The term refers to the risk of line or something getting pushed against the gate and getting clipped in accidentally.

It's far more of a concern for wreck divers and cave divers, where lines and cables abound, but it could happen in open water circumstances as well. Far less likely, of course. I know a number of divers who use them all the time, and they're quite lively. :) I won't use them, though, as a general rule (I've made temporary exceptions on occasion).

plot
07-14-2007, 18:16
The important thing is that you secure you gear. Many don't care for the octo holders because they tend to cause freeflows unless you have holes in it to stop that.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Clips are a similar story, you need one that can't be opened by brushing against something for safety. However, not all divers see things the same way and what's not safe to one will not be to another.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I've had awesome luck with this octo holder: http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=BCOH4</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>mouthpeice shown in that pick would actually be where your octo's mouthpeice goes. Alot easier to get the octo in, pulls out easy enough, and I've yet to have it freeflow on me... unlike those crappy rubber ball looking things.</DIV>

CompuDude
07-14-2007, 18:45
<div></div>
<div>Clips are a similar story, you need one that can't be opened by brushing against something for safety. However, not all divers see things the same way and what's not safe to one will not be to another.</div>
<div></div>
<div>I've had awesome luck with this octo holder: http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=BCOH4</div>
<div></div>
<div>mouthpeice shown in that pick would actually be where your octo's mouthpeice goes. Alot easier to get the octo in, pulls out easy enough, and I've yet to have it freeflow on me... unlike those crappy rubber ball looking things.</div>
The design on those is good, although everyone that I've seen that is more than a year or so old, the elastic in the bungee has died and it gets pretty sorry looking.

No better octo holder than a cheap (or free!) snorkel holder.

cummings66
07-14-2007, 19:07
Interesting holder, but then I like the bungied mount better so I've kind of found the perfect solution. It would be better than the balls though.

CompuDude
07-14-2007, 19:27
The bungee mount is fine. If it works for you, go for it. :-)

Either of these works really well. I just prefer the simpler (and cheaper) of the two:

http://www.leisurepro.com/Image/Product/Full/aqusk.jpg http://www.scubatoys.com/store/accessories/clips/pics/bcoh4.jpg

My secondary on my open water rig lives on a bungee necklace just below my chin, so I only use a traditional octo for pool sessions anyway.

3rdEye
07-17-2007, 13:26
i like the snorkel keeper idea.....i just bought the expensive option there however http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley36.gif

fire diver
07-18-2007, 12:02
Just starting, I'm still looking at stuff that I'd need. Well, I checked out the clips section and....smileys/smiley29.gif. I've never seen so many. Why clips? And why a clip octo holder instead of a little rubber thingy, or mouth piece thingy? There's wayyy too much... I'm sure there's even some rigs that some has HAD to have done too.

Please. Someone enlighten me. smileys/smiley9.gif

<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>If you are looking for an octo holder, I recommend using a bungie cord around the neck. Everything else should be strapped to you (depth guage, compass, BT, computer) or attached via SS clips (SPG, lights).</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>FD</DIV>