PDA

View Full Version : The US might be charging $5.50 for entry by boat and air.

John Yaskowich
10-26-2011, 09:24
I wonder if they would be charging the entry fee to divers on the St Lawrence River who want to dive wrecks in US waters with Canadian dive operators. It seems strange to have to report to Customs at the start and end of a dive and it would be even worse if we have to pay a "passenger inspection" fee for a 1 hour dive when nothing is inspected. I can see not diving those sites any more.

And I wonder if the fee is going to be imposed on travelers transiting to Europe or the Caribbean who have stop-overs at US airports.

Canadians bristle as U.S. reimposes entry fee on air, water travellers | Daily Brew - Yahoo! News (http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/dailybrew/canadians-bristle-u-reimposes-entry-fee-air-water-190001060.html)

TheSpec - U.S. won (http://www.thespec.com/news/world/article/614311--u-s-won-t-budge-on-5-50-air-entry-tax)

navyhmc
10-26-2011, 09:58
Well, personally, I believe that there should be a more open border with Canada. This does suck and I am sure that there will be some sort of rebuttal from your folks in Ottawa. In the past, the closest the US has had a to a true friend of another country has been Canada -less but still there is the UK. I for one still remember the risks Canada took during the Iranian Embassy issue and still thank you folks for that one.

As far as diving the US side of the SLSW, have you had any issues/protocols/dealings with ICE in the past few years?

John Yaskowich
10-26-2011, 10:48
As far as diving the US side of the SLSW, have you had any issues/protocols/dealings with ICE in the past few years?

Not sure what ICE you mean: the stuff that forms on the surface when it gets cold - proper protocols is to dive dry or sit at home by the fire with a hot toddy and think about diving in the Caribbean. If it is some branch of the gov't, we need to have our passports along and report to Customs before and after the dive, but it SEEMS like just a formality. We need to provide information to the dive op a couple of days ahead of time for pre-clearance and I have heard of a few divers being refused entry because of criminal records and such. But for most of us it is no more than a brief side trip and something more to grumble about. (I guess it could be a pain if there is no Entry Point close by.)

As one co-worker put it "Sounds like another fee to inspect the inside of your wallet."

navyhmc
10-26-2011, 11:44
ICE = Immagratons Customs Enforcement.

clara
10-27-2011, 17:51
Well that bites! I have gone to the Canadian side and crossed over to US waters and never had an issue. I do know of a guy that got his butt in a bind because he had legal matters from years ago ( I think 25). Will I pay the fee? Probably most dive ops will put it in their fee.

John Yaskowich
10-27-2011, 18:29
Problem is that most small boat operators will have to raise rates by about $10 - $5.50 for the diver and a couple of bucks towards each of the captain's and DM's fees. Can you imagine how it would sit for a boat captain who makes 2 separate trips in a day having to shell out twice in the same day for an "inspection fee". I think that sort of increase would put a real damper on US bound trips. A 2 tank trip already costs pushing $80 or more, and some have had to charge a fuel fee as well. Increase it by much and many divers will opt to stay on the Canuck side.

clara
10-27-2011, 18:39
I totally agree! Can you imagine how it will change the wait at customs? Sometimes it can already be hectic.

scubajane
10-27-2011, 19:04
well first I must admit that I thought this might be a thread about charging the boat people form Cuba 5 bucks...and realized that many of them would not be able to afford to come in.... then I read the thread and it seems about as odd

clara
10-29-2011, 10:49
I agree that it sounds odd! But that is exactly the type of crap that we face. If it made sense it wouldn't pass. It will be interesting to see how this one pans out.