PDA

View Full Version : Mares Liquiskin

cheebaweebie
09-18-2007, 09:09
Hello all,
I tried the famed Mares Liquiskin mask (spent the 80 something bucks for it as I bought it on line) and I HATE IT. First use was in the keys for mini season and used it as a back up as my primary (a dacor ultra 2) was damaged. One of my boys didn't bungi up the tanks after pulling his spare and they fell on it cracking the clip that holds the strap. Back to the Liquiskin. Great concept. sounds like it would work well but beacuse of the soft skirt it leaks like crap. All 4 of us on the boat tried it and it leaked BAD for everyone. I bought it here from Scuba toys wore it 1 X and now it sits at the bottom of my gear bin in the garage. Wanted to see anyone eles opinon of this mask. Same issues ? etc... Post away. :smiley21:

ScubaToys Larry
09-18-2007, 09:14
We have not had people who have had that problem... the opposite.. But if you got it from us, and don't like it, send it back with a print out of this post, and we'll just refund or swap for you. Don't ever worry about getting something you don't like from us!

rje634
09-18-2007, 12:57
Had a severe leaking problem with the liquid skin, it wasn't the skirt it was the frame of the left lens that was leaking...

cheebaweebie
09-18-2007, 15:24
Larry,
Thanks for reply. I will do just that.
Rje 634,
The lenses were fine, where it was leaking was below the nose cup. I must have tried every which way possible from strap positions to equalizing the mast to get it to stop but no dice.

CompuDude
09-18-2007, 15:38
I tried one on in a shop, and it simply didn't fit my face. The mid skirt fit fine, however.

I like the idea, but I wish they came in a mid size skirt, rather than an inaccurate promise that it will fit every face. More skirt colors would be good, too. Not a big fan of silver.

sudnit5
09-18-2007, 15:52
My girlfriend has the mask and loves it, me on the other hand cannot wear it.

ScubaToys Larry
09-18-2007, 15:59
I always love it when people come into the shop and ask me what mask I wear, because they want to get a mask for their girlfriend. I always point it out and then add, "I sure as hell hope for your sake that your girlfriend doesn't look like me though!" :smilie39:

RonFrank
09-18-2007, 16:05
I like the idea, but I wish they came in a mid size skirt, rather than an inaccurate promise that it will fit every face.

It comes in two sizes. Regular, and a mid size. I don't own the liquidskin, but do own the XVision... I did not see any inaccurate promises! Was that in the owners manual? :smiley4:

It also comes in at LEAST a half dozen colors provided you want a clear skirt. If you want a black skirt, you get a silver.

Looking at the LP reviews on this mask they were either very high, or very low. Those that were low complained about..... drumroll...leaks.

Purchasing a mask is ALL about fit. Not every mask is going to fit every face. Some people have trouble finding ANY mask that fits right. My buddy has a big face, and the only mask he loves is his Big Eyes. Ironically it's one of the mask that just completely do NOT fit my face.

If you purchase a mask without trying it on first, than don't blame the manufacture if it leaks.

Folks that reviewed this product on SB LOVED this mask. However many if not most were already using the XVision, so they knew how Mares Mask fit before spending $90.

CompuDude
09-18-2007, 16:47
I like the idea, but I wish they came in a mid size skirt, rather than an inaccurate promise that it will fit every face.

It comes in two sizes. Regular, and a mid size. I don't own the liquidskin, but do own the XVision... I did not see any inaccurate promises! Was that in the owners manual? :smiley4:

It also comes in at LEAST a half dozen colors provided you want a clear skirt. If you want a black skirt, you get a silver.

Looking at the LP reviews on this mask they were either very high, or very low. Those that were low complained about..... drumroll...leaks.

Purchasing a mask is ALL about fit. Not every mask is going to fit every face. Some people have trouble finding ANY mask that fits right. My buddy has a big face, and the only mask he loves is his Big Eyes. Ironically it's one of the mask that just completely do NOT fit my face.

If you purchase a mask without trying it on first, than don't blame the manufacture if it leaks.

Folks that reviewed this product on SB LOVED this mask. However many if not most were already using the XVision, so they knew how Mares Mask fit before spending $90.

I think you misunderstood me, or perhaps I misspoke or was unclear?

I like the LiquidSkin concept. But the LiquidSkin masks only come in one size. They do NOT make a mid-size LiquidSkin... they DO make an X-Vision Mid, but it does not use the LiquidSkin silicon skirt.

http://www.mares.com/product_detail.php?id=258&region=USA

As far as colors, they make silver and clear for the LiquidSkin. I don't care for either... I prefer black. (And yes, I was referring to the skirt, not the frame)

Mares makes claims that it fits almost all faces (see their website, their promotional brochures and posters, and posts from the Mares rep on ScubaBoard in the Mares forum), and thus they don't really need a Mid-size skirt for it. But all I can say is, in my case, this is not true. The Mid size skirt fits me great, but the LiquidSkin (and non-Mid skirt regular masks) do not fit me.

I fully believe it fits more faces than the standard skirt did, but that still is not a substitute (at least, not for people with faces shaped like mine) for a true mid skirt.

It's a great mask and I want one. That's the only reason I complain. :) As you rightly point out, however, it's all about fit. (color makes a difference, too, but not as much)

RonFrank
09-18-2007, 16:53
Ahh, I was under the impression they offered the Liquid skin in both mask sizes... my mistake. They likely will in the future.

I also like black skirts. I'm currently using the Atomic Frameless mask.

Best mask I've ever used.

cheebaweebie
09-19-2007, 10:49
Compudude,
I agree 100% with you. Loved the concept, Colors were OK. Went off claim from Mares that it fits almost all faces, NO LEAKS, etc...
Mares make quality products but this one just doesn't work for me. the 4 guys all on the boat for our keys trip had the same issue with it. I was trying to pawn it off on them to get my $ back. Didn't work. I really wanted the mask. Unfortunately it wasn't meant to be.
Scuba toys has graciously offered to swap or allow me to return for credit (mask is brand new) so kudos to them. Very helpful awesome that they are doing that.

nathan
09-19-2007, 11:08
Well I can honestly say I remeber buying my mask a few years ago. Like everyone else I walked up and was strongly attracted to one that looked cool. I put it on and it didn't fit my face :smiley13:. So then I picked another that looked cool, and same thing. :smiley29: Anyways I like went through the whole rack trying them until I found the one that absolutly perfectly fit my face right.

Thats the one I dive with every time now, Its got a scuba pro logo on it, I think its ventura manufactured.

My wife on the other hand wears the exact mask your are refering to (a pink Liquid Skin) that she bought a few weeks ago. She did 15 dives on it last month with zero problems and loves her mask. I think the only thing she'd change on her mask is if it was a deeper shade of purple or had maybe a dolphine engraved on it or something LOL.

Anyways my point is, it seems like mask fit is the most important factor on the mask, and I'm pretty sure her mask would absolutly not fit me properly, but it appears from both this post, and my wife that this mask is a "chick mask". (meaning it fits woman best)