PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Diving Story/Location

debay
09-18-2007, 09:19
This is supposed to be a diving/diving equipment forum. It looks more like a compilation of locker room grafiti.:smiley36: So, in the spirit of diving, how about we share experiences from diving locations around the world. Good, Bad, Scary, Enlightening, or whatever. Tell us where you have been and what you have seen.

JahJahwarrior
09-18-2007, 11:16
Once, I was diving with this really nice lady from Australia. We were waiting for the boat, and I noticed that she hadn't tightened her light very tightly, so I graciously tightened it just a tidge more, becauseI didn't want it getting loose underwater or leaking or anything. I felt so chivalrous and manly, that's what made the dive memorable for me!

Vercingetorix
09-18-2007, 12:23
This is supposed to be a diving/diving equipment forum. It looks more like a compilation of locker room grafiti.:smiley36: So, in the spirit of diving, how about we share experiences from diving locations around the world. Good, Bad, Scary, Enlightening, or whatever. Tell us where you have been and what you have seen.
Son, you are in the men's locker room when you enter the Man Laws forum. You wanna talk diving,you may wish to go to the Surface Inteval or Scuba forum areas. Got any good fart jokes?

Once, I was diving with this really nice lady from Australia. We were waiting for the boat, and I noticed that she hadn't tightened her light very tightly, so I graciously tightened it just a tidge more, becauseI didn't want it getting loose underwater or leaking or anything. I felt so chivalrous and manly, that's what made the dive memorable for me!I commend your chivalry, good sir.

However, next time she sees you, she may smack you upside the head to ensure you don't come near her gear again.

BobArnold8265
09-18-2007, 12:27
Here's a dive story that I bet many haven't experienced. About two years ago while in Key Largo, I was in my hotel room and getting my photo gear ready. I had my strobe in my lap (brand name withheld to protect the guilty) and turned the switch to make sure the batteries were still strong. The ready light just turned red when BOOM the strobe exploded. The force of the explosion was strong enough to blow the battery pack across the room in one direction and the len/lamp assembly flew into the wall in the opposite direction. It made a very nice dent in the wall at the hotel which was about three feet away from where I was sitting. Fortuneatly, no one was hurt, the hotel was getting ready to remodel so didn't mind the dent and the strobe manufacture sent me a new one.

loudgonzo
09-18-2007, 14:52
OK
"in the spirit of diving" AND keeping within the rules of the Man Law forum:

My first time on a diving boat, choppy waters, got done with the last dive of the day, I was the first one out of the water, sat down on the bench to remove my gear, all of a sudden, my lunch came out. I'd been feeling queasy but had managed to hold it in until then.

greyzen
09-18-2007, 15:02
Here's a dive story that I bet many haven't experienced. About two years ago while in Key Largo, I was in my hotel room and getting my photo gear ready. I had my strobe in my lap (brand name withheld to protect the guilty) and turned the switch to make sure the batteries were still strong. The ready light just turned red when BOOM the strobe exploded. The force of the explosion was strong enough to blow the battery pack across the room in one direction and the len/lamp assembly flew into the wall in the opposite direction. It made a very nice dent in the wall at the hotel which was about three feet away from where I was sitting. Fortuneatly, no one was hurt, the hotel was getting ready to remodel so didn't mind the dent and the strobe manufacture sent me a new one.

Dude, my lap hurts hearing that story...

georoc01
09-18-2007, 15:37
Well, that's one big plus of warm water locations. Generally the women are wearing less material.

I know my buddy was dying when we were in Cozumel over July 4th over all the women at the beach during our SI in bikinis.

I've heard good things about Diving and the women in Curacao as well.

mrbheagney
09-04-2008, 19:47
I dived with two adult Humpback Whales in Ha'apai, Tonga - absolutely amazing.

mrbheagney
09-04-2008, 19:53
Here's a picture.

Black-Gorrilla
09-04-2008, 19:58
this is man laws... it has nothing to do with diving... the posts in here dont even count... so that means they dont have to have anything to do with diving.

rainmaker
09-04-2008, 20:24
My brother, who previously was the captain of the Shear Water (live-aboard dive boat) told me this one:

They were diving the Theo wreck in the Bahamas, and when one of the divers finished his dive and got back to the boat, he asked my brother which wreck was the Theo. My brother told him that there was only one wreck down there, but the diver claimed there were two.

After a brief discussion, my brother donned his gear to check. Sure enough, there were 2 wrecks, the Theo (a 230 ft. freighter), and a 60 ft. sailboat. The freighter was supposed to be there, the sailboat wasn't.

My brother got out of the water, and called the Coast Guard on the radio and asked about the second wreck, which hadn't been there the week before. He was told that the boat had been there a few days, and had sunk while the couple who owned it HAD BEEN DIVING THE THEO WRECK. They literally had seen their sailboat sink while they were on a dive. Luckily no one was injured (except their small dog was lost at sea). The couple made a safe ascent and was picked up by a dive charter a few hours later.

The sailboat was salvaged and was gone the next time the Shear Water visited.

Black-Gorrilla
09-07-2008, 05:02
Rainmaker... that's pretty wild.

bubble-head
09-07-2008, 10:13
I played a joke on my buddy while diving in a local quarry back in May with a group of about 4 divers. There were a number of large dead bull frogs on the bottom. I grabbed one and motioned for one of the buddies to come over. Acting like I was fixing something on his BC, I placed Kermit in his pocket with one flippered leg hanging out. He had a 3rd buddy for the remainder of the dive. No one else in our group let him in on it until the end of the dive.

NeveSSL
09-08-2008, 02:22
In the spirit of the man laws forum, my instructors shared the following story:

My school (MTSU) does a trip to central Florida every Spring to do a couple of different dives spring dives. One of them (I can't remember which one... its a popular spot) has a lot of catfish.

One of the divers going along on the trip had expressed a fear of catfish... so what did my instructors do? They tied a bag of raw hamburger meat to his tank while he wasn't looking and proceeded to enjoy this fellows freaking out at all of the catfish suddenly interested in him. :)

Brandon

shawnwill36
10-27-2008, 08:24
is that all you tightened that day?