PDA

View Full Version : dive knife

Subaqua
09-18-2007, 09:28
I'm thinking of buying a dive knife. Is putting it on the gauge hose a good idea http://www.cressi.it/easyStore/SchedeVedi.asp?ProdottiID=356?

I have the exact same gauge and I attach it across my chest with a retractor fixed on the right of my BC.

Tod
09-18-2007, 17:50
I know (from other boards) there are lots of opinions on this subject. Before weighing in, I am curious where do you normally go diving and what is it that you think you need the knife for the most?

On the west coast, where kelp forests (and kelp entanglement) are common, the knife doesn't really need to be that big - kelp cuts very easy. Serrated knives make quick work through kelp. As an extra little side note: if you close your eyes, a high/low pressure hose can feel an awful lot like a piece of kelp! ;)

Other places with active fishing areas tend to have a lot more nets that result in some serious entanglement. Some prefer cutters rather than a knife to work through these issues.

So which knife/cutter is right for you is unknown to me.

Basic things to consider: 1) knives often get lost; 2) many of them (regardless of what they claim) will likely start to rust anyway; 3) some of them are very expensive; and 4) you likely won't use it a whole lot.

Thus, spending a ton of cash on a fancy knife is probably not a great idea. Having a knife somewhere where you can reach it with either hand is a probably a good idea - like the inside of a leg. Having a fancy attachment clip that takes a little coordination to mount your sharp knife right next to your high/low pressure hose is just asking for some excitement. :smilie40:

ScubaToys Larry
09-18-2007, 17:54
Very nice post Tod! Great to have you on the board!!

And to Subaqua, if you're not sure, you could get the UK Fusilier (http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Fusiler) which comes with a hose or bc attachment that you can switch between by just removing 4 stainless screws. Try it one way... if you don't like it, try it another way.

Tap the brakes! I posted the wrong knife... it's the Remora that has the 2 fittings... sorry!

cgvmer
09-18-2007, 18:09
If you decide to buy one for your console here is one thing to think about
http://forum.scubatoys.com/showthread.php?t=3761

WV Diver
09-18-2007, 18:17
As Tod has alluded to there are several schools of thought on this subject and it is likely that you will form your own opinion over time.

I personally like the Remora, see my profile pic, it is cheap, never needs sharpened and it is small like the one you are looking at. If I loose it it isn't the end of the world. I have one mounted to my LP inflator hose and another above my right BC pocket. This way I have one that I can get to with either hand and they are both within the arc that I can reach with either elbow against my side. That's just a personal thing with me.

reservecops
09-18-2007, 18:18
Very nice post Tod! Great to have you on the board!!Dang, Larry. Complimenting the new members. Gheesh! Next thing we know, you'll be giving away a free $10 gift certificate just for posting ten posts! Or maybe a $50 gift certificate, just for posting 250 posts. How ludicrous! ;)

Subaqua: I (previously) purchased this particular knife based on Larry's recommendation, and I am very satisfied with it so far.

Subaqua
09-18-2007, 18:23
Thank you for all those good inputs. In fact, I just wanted a small knife that I wont probably use very much but just in case. Maybe a cutter would work now that you mentionned it. Have to look at the options from ST.

reservecops
09-18-2007, 18:31
Very nice post Tod! Great to have you on the board!!

And to Subaqua, if you're not sure, you could get the UK Fusilier (http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Fusiler) which comes with a hose or bc attachment that you can switch between by just removing 4 stainless screws. Try it one way... if you don't like it, try it another way.Hey, wait a sec, Larry. Mine didn't come with anything to mount it to the hose. What's with removing the 4 screws - this just lets me take it apart.

Am I missing something here?

Jeremy Bouwman
09-18-2007, 18:37
I have the remora attached to my inflator hose, I'm pretty careful about putting it back into its sheath, because I don't want to cut anything in that area. Make sure you put it in a place where you can see what you are doing, I have to put mine in by feel.

ScubaToys Larry
09-18-2007, 19:47
Hey, wait a sec, Larry. Mine didn't come with anything to mount it to the hose. What's with removing the 4 screws - this just lets me take it apart.

Am I missing something here?

Yes, you are missing the fact that I am an idiot... :anon: I meant the Remora : http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=TitaniumRemora which comes in titanium or regular hydralloy

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Remora

And comes with the 2 attachments.

The fusilier comes with the plate to mount it to a pocket, and the leg strap holes that you can use to Zip tie to your gauges or hose if you wish..

I'll go fix my other post..

voodoodoly
09-18-2007, 20:01
I also like the Remora a lot. I've been using one for about 2.5 years now and it is a great little knife. Haven't seen any rust yet and the sheath holds nice and tight. I keep it on my HP gauge hose and clip the hose across my chest. I've cut a ton of fishing line and a few old fishing nets. Stays sharp!

dannybot
09-18-2007, 21:38
two things:

1) do the attachment screws work in all BC's with the grommets? are they a standard distance?

2) Remember that if you travel to dive, then I wouldn't recommend using the hose mount if you carry on your regs.

ScubaToys Larry
09-18-2007, 21:42
The attachment screws are made to screw through a pocket or cummerbund - they are very thin and really don't leave much of a hole if any. And if you do want it on your hose - that's ok... just remember to take the knife out and toss it in your save a dive box that you keep in your dive bag you are checking.

russp
09-20-2007, 15:48
I've been debating the same thing regarding mounting a BC Remora knife to my Riptide BC. Right now it's on one of the three chest straps but I've been thinking about the high pressure hose or the inflator hose. The knife comes with the clamp for the high pressure hose but do I just use zip ties for the inflator hose? And the big question, has anybody managed to cut a hose getting the knife in and out?

jo8243
09-20-2007, 15:58
Are you saying your gauges cross your BC from left-to-right? If so, in rescue classes they teach that that is considered a no-no b/c if someone needs to get you out of it in an emergency it will be one more thing to unhook.

Charles R
09-20-2007, 15:59
I carry a 3" Ti knife on the webing of my harness on the left of the buckle easy to get to if needed

russp
09-20-2007, 17:25
Are you saying your gauges cross your BC from left-to-right? If so, in rescue classes they teach that that is considered a no-no b/c if someone needs to get you out of it in an emergency it will be one more thing to unhook.

My high pressure hose and console goes from left to center but not across the BC straps, it's clipped to a D ring on the left, front.

crpntr133
09-20-2007, 20:25
Keep it small. I always laugh and shake my head when I see someone with a big ole frog gigger strapped to their leg.

txmntman
10-02-2007, 13:53
Well, I guess you can laugh at me. I always go with my "big ole frog gigger strapped to their leg"......why? Well, I've dove with it for 20+ years, I've used it very, very little, I prefer carrying a knife of some kind...and I already own it. No, I don't "need" that big knife, and I would probably prefer a smaller one, but then I'd have to go buy the smaller one, and......I guess I'm just cheap!