PDA

View Full Version : Papa Hogs and the PH Motel?

John Yaskowich
12-09-2011, 09:52
I am in the preliminary stages of planning a trip to Cozumel, probably 26 May to 2 June. Has anyone stayed at the Papa Hogs Motel and/or dove with Papa Hogs? I don't need much in the way of accommodations, just somewhere clean and safe. The price would be hard to beat for the diving and room, breakfast included. Anyone else planning on being in Cozumel in that time frame?

BRsnow
12-09-2011, 14:36
Cozumel is safe, so no worries there. I have never dove with them, but they have good reputation. I prefer to stay in town as you can wall to some great dining and the town is fun. After a few trips you will know many of the locals and really enjoy the place. I tend to stay at casa mexicana, vista del mar, suite bahia. They are pretty cost effective and you can walk anywhere. BR

DevilDiver
12-09-2011, 14:56
I am not sure it is so much a hotel as a few rooms. I usually stay at Villa Blanca right next door and dive with Scuba Mau (downstairs for the resturant). I spoke with a lady staying in the rooms last time and she was happy but said they are vary small, she was there for a month and living on the cheap.

TRACI
12-09-2011, 16:06
Cant speak about the rooms, but there is just a few by the office. I have always love diving with Papa Hogs. Used them about 8-10 trips and never had any problems. Small, fast boats ! Food is good @ Hog Town Cafe, great banana pancakes. VillaBlanca would also be a great choice, right next door

Defman
12-09-2011, 17:12
I have dove with them many times, great place to dive with and highly recommended!! In fact, I have never dove with anyone else in CZM.. no reason to change. They were there for my first dives after getting certified and still there 200+ dives later, heck 1/2 of my dives are probably with them. They try to match people up with similar levels of experience on the boats as best they can.

I stayed at the "Motel" several years ago, shared the room with Mike's Harley Davidson for a couple of days (they forgot it was in there and it wasn't bothering me so I didn't mention it). OK, on to the room (this was easily 5+ years ago). Very basic, no phone or TV. Pretty much bed, bath, kitchenette, jug of water. Depending on your needs, it may be a good fit or not.

I've also stayed at Villa Blanca next door. Nice place, fairly cheap, more amenities, convenient to PH for diving.

If you're going to stay there or at VB, consider renting a scooter (or car if you need more room) for the week. They aren't too far from town, but handy to have the scooter to get around. Hit the grocery store and grab some snacks. As Traci already mentioned, the Cafe is awesome and I'll second the banana pancakes!!

John Yaskowich
12-12-2011, 14:48
Well, I booked it!!! May 26 to June 2 at the Hotel Villa Blanca, diving with Papa Hog. This will be my first time diving in Cozumel. I am SO looking forward to the trip! Anyone from the forum planning on being on the island during that time-frame?

scubarobin
12-19-2011, 15:34
Sorry i didn't see this until today...

Yes, we used to dive with PapaHogs all the time, and we did stay at Hogtown Hotel once. It was several years ago, just before the hurricane, so I don't know how much renovations were done to the rooms. At the time we stayed there it was very basic, nothing fancy, no tv or phone, just beds and a bathroom. It worked for us.
The food at Hogtown Cafe is fantastic and the dive Op is great, also. It just all depends what you are looking for. You will need to rent a car or take a taxi too and from town in the evenings for dinner, etc, as it is too far to walk.

We don't use them anymore as we now prefer Scuba Club Cozumel just down the road. It fits our needs better now, a bit more expensive, but all meals are included and they have the best shore diving area on island. It is also walking distance to town.

All dive ops dive the exact same dive sites, they just have different types of boats. SCC works better for us because we do alot of photo and video, so big cameras, which need a table. Papahogs has small 6-pk boats which are terrible for cameras as you have to sit them down by your feet for the ride out to reefs and back. SCC has big boats with camera tables, much roomier and more stable for the $$$ gear.

robin

Okc_diver
01-28-2012, 16:29
I am planning on being there at those dates. I will be spending another birthday (May 27)down there. I might be staying at Hotel Cozumel just haven't booked the trip yet