PDA

View Full Version : Singles forum

kroorda
09-18-2007, 13:30
I know of a LOT of people who are 'single' divers and who would love to have a buddy to go diving with. No, this shouldn't be a place for anyone to look for a new girlfriend or boyfriend. It should ONLY be used so that people can find a dive buddy. (Whatever happens from that point on shouldn't be in the interest of this forum.) Such a place for people to meet, share interests, stories, advice, etc., would be an excellent suggestion for the forum.

diversteve
09-18-2007, 14:16
been to singledivers.com (http://www.singledivers.com)?

Later edit:
I'm not exactly recommending them.
For reasons similar to those in the following posts.

Vercingetorix
09-18-2007, 15:14
been to singledivers.com (http://www.singledivers.com)?PlatypusMan is the local representative. PM him.

Travelnsj
09-18-2007, 17:05
been to singledivers.com (http://www.singledivers.com)?

No thank you!....been there done...cost me too much money and time.... check out DiveBuddy.com...also SB & Zen has a singles forum.

hoop
09-18-2007, 17:20
[quote=diversteve;55242]been to singledivers.com (http://www.singledivers.com)?

No thank you!....been there done...cost me too much money and time.... quote]

As someone that was thinking of taking that road, would you mind elaborating?

Travelnsj
09-18-2007, 17:27
It's called lack of Integrity...in how trips are planned...vendors paid etc etc.

Vercingetorix
09-18-2007, 17:45
From what I've seen (and PlatypusMan, please correct me), all singledivers.com trips are planned and set-up by WreckWench, who is a travel agent. No other trips are permitted to be offered.

Travelnsj
09-18-2007, 18:46
From what I've seen (and PlatypusMan, please correct me), all singledivers.com trips are planned and set-up by WreckWench, who is a travel agent. No other trips are permitted to be offered.

Your 100% correct!....unless something has changed in the last few months.

PlatypusMan
09-18-2007, 20:25

You are correct; WW is the driving force behind the site. Trips are set up quite in advance (2008 trips are being booked as I write this) and many of these trips are based on member input concerning desired travel destinations as well.

Back when the site was first founded three years or so ago, there were some rough spots that happened, because it was for those involved a new concept they had never done before. Were mistakes and errors made? Of course there were--yet the site and it's members persevered, learned, and moved on. Today SD has over 3950 members.

There are people who tried SD and found that they didn't like it for whatever reason; this is normal in the affairs of human beings--some cases for the reasons cited above. Not all things satisfy all people.

They moved on, just as I have with some sites. It's a big world.

Disclaimer: You should know that I have been on several SD trips. I am also the DFW Happy Hour coordinator for SD. I am NOT a spokesman for the site, nor have I listed the url here because I feel it would not be proper to do so without permission of Larry and Joe. (This is the same reason I asked permission prior to posting the fact that my day job is a Citizen dealer for dive watches and Nx computers.)

plot
09-18-2007, 21:59
hopefully i'm not still single in 2008. what a flawed concept

Travelnsj
09-18-2007, 22:08
Plat….never had a problem with the board…..I was associated with that board from 04 to the first part of this year….my issue was with business practices. As you know I was mostly involved in the trip and trip planning areas….I have also been on a few trips that some major mis-que’s happened due to the simple fact the lack of a phone call or e-mail…..after what happened with the Palau trip in March…that was the preverbal straw that broke the camels back…no amount of Apologies, Crocodile tears or Rhetoric would work on me….But perhaps after running businesses for the last 25 years I have become a bit jaded….and I thought I heard it all….LOL

chinacat46
09-19-2007, 07:36
Scott you are just heartbroken cause she married somebody else. LMAO!!!

dallasdivergirl
09-19-2007, 12:35

Plot,

How many ladies do you have lined up for between now & the end of the year?

Formerly 45yroldNewbie
09-19-2007, 12:49
I read the OP as asking for a site to find dive buddy(s) not bed buddy(s):love:

I think it is a great idea as I have no hope of ever getting my wife to dive (shark phobia and migraines) so if I am traveling somewhere it would be great to be able to go to a site or forum that would help me find someone to dive with.

PlatypusMan
09-19-2007, 13:37

The problem is that too many people read the word "single" and make an assumption as to the nature of the site. If you go to the site, you will see on the first page the statement "our only hookups are to tanks".

Yes, there have been some romantic entanglements that have occurred -- but that's normal any time large numbers of people get together and have a common interest. It wouldn't surprise me to find that happening here down the road as well.

plot
09-19-2007, 16:42

Plot,

How many ladies do you have lined up for between now & the end of the year?

does foo3 count? :smiley2:

i'm just saying, if the trips are being booked to far in advance alot of singles may not be single at that time. even if they were single shortly before or will be again shortly after.

Travelnsj
09-20-2007, 00:01
Scott you are just heartbroken cause she married somebody else. LMAO!!!

She got married?????...I wasn't invited....LOL

georoc01
09-20-2007, 15:31

I think it is a great idea as I have no hope of ever getting my wife to dive (shark phobia and migraines) so if I am traveling somewhere it would be great to be able to go to a site or forum that would help me find someone to dive with.

And that is the point of the single divers site. As well as the divebuddy site. The regional sections are good for local dives.

susski
09-20-2007, 22:32
I actually went on a single dive this month through Sport Diver magazine. Now, mind you Hurricane Felix cut the dive short...but in the few days there, I met some great folks (many who are dive masters )...I'm just Open Water...who were a blast to party with, laid back and just wanted to be around other people that enjoy diving. I am sure hook ups happened...but its all in how you approach some of these things.

I would love to meet others that just need a dive buddy (and are someone that is a safe diver - doh!)...

Travelnsj
09-20-2007, 22:40
I actually went on a single dive this month through Sport Diver magazine. Now, mind you Hurricane Felix cut the dive short...but in the few days there, I met some great folks (many who are dive masters )...I'm just Open Water...who were a blast to party with, laid back and just wanted to be around other people that enjoy diving. I am sure hook ups happened...but its all in how you approach some of these things.

I would love to meet others that just need a dive buddy (and are someone that is a safe diver - doh!)...

Ahhh...I am always in need of a dive buddy:smiley2:....my problem no goes where I do to dive:smiley13:

Tableleg
09-21-2007, 15:57
Hey, at least you have places to dive! I have to take a road trip to even think about diving! :smiley19::smiley2:

Travelnsj
09-21-2007, 16:05
Hey, at least you have places to dive! I have to take a road trip to even think about diving! :smiley19::smiley2:

Are you talking about me?....I have to take a road trip anywhere I want to go....I dive only 82 water temps or better.

chinacat46
09-21-2007, 16:10
So does that mean you aren't gonna dive in the 80 degree water at Wakatobi? You big wimp

Travelnsj
09-21-2007, 16:11
So does that mean you aren't gonna dive in the 80 degree water at Wakatobi? You big wimp

I'm diving Wakatobi....the water will BE 82:smiley20:

chinacat46
09-21-2007, 16:16
You're right when I get there in Nov it will have warmed up to 82. LOL

Travelnsj
09-21-2007, 16:36
I'll handle 80-81 if I have too....and I'll still wear my shortie....I can see you in 82...hood...full wetsuit...farmer john....big thick booties...wimp!...LOL

chinacat46
09-21-2007, 17:37
I will be wearing a fullsuit(3 mil) in 82. Of course I'll be doing 4-6 dives a day over multiple days not to mention 75 min dives. BTW it's shorty. :-)

Travelnsj
09-21-2007, 18:57
I will be wearing a fullsuit(3 mil) in 82. Of course I'll be doing 4-6 dives a day over multiple days not to mention 75 min dives. BTW it's shorty. :-)

OK Mr. Wear or is it Where?...LOL....anyway....I plan at least 4 dives a day for 13 days...between Bali and Wakatobi.....I'll still "wear" my SHORTY!....and here I thought being you were from CO...you were used to the cold...LOL

chinacat46
09-21-2007, 19:22
Hey BTW congrats on becoming a Grouper.

Travelnsj
09-21-2007, 22:52
Hey BTW congrats on becoming a Grouper.

Just trying to keep up with you and you were back home for a week or so....damn:smilie40: