PDA

View Full Version : Galapagos Islands 2008

frrdiver
09-18-2007, 19:02
Hello divers:
Anyone knows what is the status on Galapagos Islands regrding the permitting to dive in 2008? I know that Peter Hughes and the Agressor Fleet have permits until January 2008, at least the Sky Dancer, but what after that? Anyone knows if the the permits allow to Dive in Darwing and Wolf?

Any comments

dallasdivergirl
09-20-2007, 06:55
I spoke with a friend last night that works for the Agressor fleet & I was assured that they would continue to have a license beyond January 2008. I was also told that the Dancer should have one as well.

I did not ask about specific dive sites.

I hope this helps.

chinacat46
09-20-2007, 07:08
Here is an update from Undercurrent:

Galapagos Islands Update : On August 23, Ecuador's President, Rafael Correa supported liveaboard owners' proposals to continue dive trips until December 31 and all Galapagos National Park dive trips through 2007 will operate. The GNP will issue new diving permits for 2008, but local fishermen will be given priority, which may mean fewer Galapagos dive trips. . . .No changes were made to Correa's lifting of the ban of taking shark fins "caught accidentally." As we reported in the September issue, hundreds of sharks are now being slaughtered daily. Divers will notice the impact in the GNP, says subscriber Aaron Wiltfong, who dove there last month on the Galapagos Aggressor. "The diving is still world-class and the critters are still there but I am disheartened to see fewer hammers, less jacks and less everything."

dimitrimj
10-20-2007, 23:43
The shark finning issue is very, very sad.

Aussie
10-21-2007, 02:41
G'day all,

Can anyone give me an idea of what it would cost to go to the Galapagos Islands?

Cheers Aussie

frrdiver
10-21-2007, 17:37
Aussie:
It depends of what kind of diving you want to do, and the boat you select. In my case I'm going in March 2008 with Peter Hughes "Sky Dancer" and it cost me around $3,500 excluding airfare, also keep in mind you have to stay in Quito or Guayaquil for a day or two.

caroln
10-22-2007, 12:30
It's tough to have to 'support' something you find reprehensible (a government that is essentially allowing shark finning) in order to dive one of the legendary sites in the world. It'll be even sadder if a few years from now if all the hammers and other critters that make the galapagos so amazing are no longer to be seen. Judging from the Undercurrent undate, this is already starting.

bversteegh
10-22-2007, 23:50
Shark finning is disgusting. We came across a fishing boat in Indonesia with hundreds of fins drying on deck - they tried to hide them, but we got pictures and turned them in to the Indonesian coast guard. Unfortunately, it doesn't take much of a bribe to avoid prosecution in 3rd world countries, really sad.

The Galapagos Islands are on my short list for places I have to see, sounds like the sooner, the better, before this unique ecosystem is lost forever.

Aussie
10-24-2007, 15:28
Aussie:
It depends of what kind of diving you want to do, and the boat you select. In my case I'm going in March 2008 with Peter Hughes "Sky Dancer" and it cost me around $3,500 excluding airfare, also keep in mind you have to stay in Quito or Guayaquil for a day or two.

Crikey,

So Much diving so little money and time.

I would love to go there one day but I think I would like to explore my own back yard first.

Aussie