PDA

View Full Version : Not that I am a marathon runner...

jetjonezy
01-26-2012, 19:01
Interesting article on the damaging effects of long term intensive excersise.

New Study Shows Cardio Workout May Damage Your Heart (http://fitness.mercola.com/sites/fitness/archive/2012/01/25/cardio-may-damage-heart.aspx)

FishFood
01-26-2012, 21:29
Im sure the joke of a MSM will pick this up and run with it. Makes everyone's inner (and for may, outter) fat kid feel all warm and fuzzy.

If you read the actual published report, two things stand out.

1) The range of race duration ranges from 3 to 11 hours. That's quite a large range. That could include everyone from novice marathoners to ultra-triathletes.

2) The study eludes to only the top range of that scale suffering from any longer term damage.

Straegen
01-27-2012, 09:47
Prolonged cardio workouts such as running a marathon or similar is going to do some damage to the body both in the joints and in the cardio system. I believe that some portion of it is permanent but cardio exercises like most things when done in moderation 30-60 minutes per day is extremely beneficial for most people particularly desk workers.

I personally believe for most people core workouts are better if a choice has to be made between the two but a "good" workout for me is 15 minute warm up with cardio, 30 minute core, 5 minute cool down with light cardio. At least an hour of recovery afterwards and I never do any static stretching.

jetjonezy
01-27-2012, 11:36
I completely agree that excersise should be apart of everyone's daily routine. This is by no means an excuse not to work out, but it also suggests that even excersise needs to have moderation (not a major problem for most with myself included)