PDA

View Full Version : Roatan

eenglish
09-18-2007, 19:39
we are going on a Carnival Cruise on Nov. Can anyone recommend a PADI dive shop that doesn't pack you into a small boat with dozens of people. Tx:smiley36:

dallasdivergirl
09-19-2007, 16:50
try Las Rocas (http://www.lasrocasresort.com/diving.htm) .

Mirta is great.

Las Rocas will pick you up and they have a small operation. Probably will have 10 divers tops.

frrdiver
09-19-2007, 20:06
I went to Roatan on a Carnival Cruise in 2005 and we booked Anthony's Key Resort, you have to book it thru the Cruise. Progran. Excellent boat and crew, beautifull resort. Can't miss diving in Roatan.

chinacat46
09-19-2007, 20:23
I stayed at Anthony's for a week and really enjoyed it. Don't know about diving with a bunch of people with cruise though.

PlatypusMan
09-19-2007, 23:08
I've spoken with other people who have gone on cruises, and each and every one of them used Anthony's Key resort.

All of them stated that it was a great dive operation, and that they would use them again given the opportunity.

Hope this helps!

georoc01
09-20-2007, 15:18
I did the Anthony's Key stop through the cruise ship. If you are looking for small boats not packed with people, this isn't the option for you.

We had over 100 divers from my ship travel over to Anthony's key by bus from the boat. We split equally into four groups, dive with dolphins, discovery dive, and two boats of two tank divers. We had 25 divers on our boat plus 3 DMs.

Anthony's Key is very nice and a different experience if you are staying there. I'd look for other operations if you want small boats.

Scuba-Bill
09-20-2007, 15:43
We alway use Coconut Tree Divers. It is a great operation and they don't stuff too many on a boat.

http://www.coconuttreedivers.com/

susski
09-20-2007, 22:10
You can check with Fantasy Resort...ask for Robert, he runs the dive shop. Very professional group.

przeor
09-21-2007, 03:58
spend the day at CocoView, then you don't have to worry about boats at all! you can do two nice long dives on the wall.. it was a great way to spend our day in port.

CaribbeanDiver
09-25-2007, 13:06
I also recommend Bay Island Beach Resort. Their boats usually have a max of 6-8 divers. the dive masters are all terrific and take the time to point out the micro stuff.
Plus at Bay Island, you can dive the Spooky Channel Shore dive. Tons of fish life, beautiful reefs, coral. cant get lost as a rope anchored to the bottom runs the length.
Depths range from shallow to 90 feet. I just so happen to remember the ph number 1 800 4-ROATAN. Talk with Bob.

CowboyMike
09-26-2007, 21:04
Trust me on this....go to Cocoview resort. The DM are the BEST and the boats are the best on the island. No cattle boats here.
I am going in April for my 2nd trip and will be there all week. World class diving and the food is sooooooooooo good!!

:smiley20::smiley20::smiley20::smiley20::smiley20: :smiley20::smiley20::smiley20::smiley20:

Free2air
09-29-2007, 08:45
I visited Roatan on a Norwegian cruise and contacted Bananarama (www.bananaramadive.com) directly via email and they picked me up at the cruise ship, delivered me to their shop and took me on a 2-tank dive. Very professional operation and alot cheaper than diving with the cruise ship. There were only 3 of us on the dive and the sites were spectacular.
The driver was even able to stop at a local store for me to pick up some liquid refreshments for the cruise on the ride back to the ship.

Enjoy....

Aspendiver
09-30-2007, 21:23
I dived for a month with "Sueno del Mar", in the west end. Small, fast boats, max 8 pax. They're in the west end. Most of the dive sites are less than 15 minutes in the boat.

Scubakraut
10-01-2007, 12:42
I stayed at Anthony's for a week and really enjoyed it. Don't know about diving with a bunch of people with cruise though.

I read that Anthony's is real simple bungalows and does not have a good beach. Is that true?
I want to go over Thanksgiving but am not sure where to stay best. My fiancee is a bit spoiled :)
We are both divers though.
Anyone has other recommendations like West Bay Lodge seems good, but not sure if they offer diving.
Thanks.

Scubakraut
10-01-2007, 12:52
Trust me on this....go to Cocoview resort. The DM are the BEST and the boats are the best on the island. No cattle boats here.
I am going in April for my 2nd trip and will be there all week. World class diving and the food is sooooooooooo good!!

:smiley20::smiley20::smiley20::smiley20::smiley20: :smiley20::smiley20::smiley20::smiley20:

How are the rooms at Cocoview?

Scubakraut
10-01-2007, 15:24
anybody stayed at Luna Beach Resort and has reports?

chuckm
10-02-2007, 06:54

How are the rooms at Cocoview?

I would say the rooms are spartan. Linens don't match, no TV,phone or anything but the AC works and they're relatively clean. CoCo View is great if you want to dive and nothing else. My wife, a non-diver, would shoot me if I took her there. But, having said that, the diving's great, food is decent and the staff is very friendly.

Scubakraut
10-02-2007, 08:41
Is it ok to go there buddyless as a single diver? I don't think my fiancee would go there :-)

chuckm
10-02-2007, 09:26
Is it ok to go there buddyless as a single diver? I don't think my fiancee would go there :-)

We went as part of a group sponsored by LDS. There were several single unmatched divers. As someone mentioned above, upon arrival you will be assigned to a boat for the week during an orientation session. On our trip the singles tended to buddy up on the boat with help of the DM.

yea - if your fiance is a non-diver I would recommend she not go - unless she wants to lay in the hammock all day covered in insect repellent and read while you're diving.

lmorin
10-02-2007, 13:07

My wife and I went along with our next door neighbor. We had a "spartan" room that I found quite nice. Rough-hewn wood. Definitely not a hotel room. Frankly, it was perfect for what it was. Sat over water and I could, in a couple of places, see water through the floor boards. Great balcony 4 ft above the water looking over the shallows toward the reef. Our neighbor dove with us as buddies. Other individuals were paired up as needed. If you haven't already gotten the idea, CCV is geared pretty much toward diving and not much else. If your fiancee reads a lot and likes an occasional salt water swim or a kayak excursion, go for it. She could also get OW certified. Now that's an idea! We were impressed by the dive shop management.