PDA

View Full Version : Gear Insurance?

jo8243
09-18-2007, 20:58
Who has gear insurance thru DAN? Is it worth it? How much does it cost?

Thanks

Formerly 45yroldNewbie
09-18-2007, 21:26
I gotmit as part of the preferred plan. Seemed to make sense..if my gear gets lost on a dive or stolen it gets replaced. the preferred plan and membership is $90 a year. Not much for peace of mind all the way around!!

DevilDiver
09-18-2007, 21:36
Insurance is very important. Gear and accident. If you plan on diving at all and for travel purposes. DAN is great...... but there are others as well. Best to look at options and pick one that fits your style and needs.

I have Dive Assure Insurance. This coverage starts at $79 and goes up from there depending what you want. I have the Diamond plan that covers accidents above and below water, Trip cancellations and interruptions, gear including photo.....
I have been very happy with this coverage.:smiley32:

diverdad
09-19-2007, 20:03
Insurance is allways a good idea. Dive , gear and vacation insurance is on my to do list in the near future.

jo8243
09-19-2007, 20:11
I gotmit as part of the preferred plan. Seemed to make sense..if my gear gets lost on a dive or stolen it gets replaced. the preferred plan and membership is $90 a year. Not much for peace of mind all the way around!!

I have DAN Preferred also but I wasn't aware it had dive equipment insurance as part of the coverage. What do you have to do to prove what you own if it is lost?

Looking at DAN's website, the only equipment coverage I see on the Preferred Plan is loss of equipment resulting from a covered accident. In other words, if it is stolen or lost by an airline I don't believe it will be covered.

Am I missing something?

Ok, now I see that there's a link on DAN's website to a seperate policy you can by from h20insurance.com. Is this what you were referring to?

somewhereinla
09-19-2007, 22:40
I have the H20 insurance. Never used it, but since I got it thrue DAN, I imagine it can't be that bad...

CrzyJay456
09-20-2007, 05:30
if you dont mind me asking, how much is the h2o insurance?

sudnit5
09-20-2007, 10:21
It looks like the h2oinsurance has a $100.00 deductible on equipment loss a $250.00 or 10% for items that have been water damaged.

Has anyone had to file a claim? It seems like it is a good company.

Vercingetorix
09-20-2007, 10:52
Ya know, jo8243, you can edit a previous post. So,instead of three consecutive posts, you ca have one. Makes for less clutter, too.

diversteve
09-20-2007, 10:58
if you dont mind me asking, how much is the h2o insurance?It varies depending on the cost of your gear. $6000 worth of gear/video gear costs me $180/yr. And it's through Fireman's Fund Insurance.

CompuDude
09-20-2007, 12:39
DAN's (and DiveAssure's) medical coverage covers some gear, but only as part of coverage for diving accidents. You'll want real gear-specific coverage for your gear, to cover things like theft, flooded cameras, etc. Note that flood coverage has a pretty high deductible ($250) so your camera gear needs to be fairly expensive to justify it. OTOH, considering $250 covers about $6k worth of gear (HUGE ballpark figure), one claim and you could save enough to more than cover the policy costs.

I've made claims against DAN's insurance. Easy to deal with and friendly, but very slow to get the ball rolling. And there is no number to call to prod things along until they contact you after filling out the web form. On the upside, they send you a check... much better than replacing my gear for me, esp considering the delay. Generally I've long since replaced the missing gear, so the check just pays me back. If you can't afford to replace until you get the check, you may be less pleased with them.

Another good company to look at, as an alternative to DAN's gear insurance, is DEPP. http://www.awryinc.com

jo8243
09-21-2007, 23:17
Ya know, jo8243, you can edit a previous post. So,instead of three consecutive posts, you ca have one. Makes for less clutter, too.

I only see two posts (other than this one) by me in this thread and they are not consecutive. What you talkin bout willis?