PDA

View Full Version : Why not a Zeagle Scout?

84turboz
09-18-2007, 21:34
Ok, newbie here again. After researching this board and scubaboard.com I'm thinking about getting the Scout. Only do warm water rec. diving. I like the light weight and easy packing, apparently less restricting design, & excellent reputation. So what's the down side of this BC? Is the 24 lb lift a problem?
Is the weight capacity really going to be a problem for my type of diving?
Price looks very reasonable. Am I missing something besides the "everyone has their own favorite"? Have to say though, I like the idea of having another "Z" (other is an 84 Turbo Z), but this not really why I like this BC.

ScubaToys Larry
09-18-2007, 21:40
Zeagle is a great product, and the scout is a nice little BC. What you don't get that you would with something like a brigade is the ripcord weight system (you do get the rear trim pockets - but not to easy to ditch) and the brigade would also have a lot more attachment points (very fancy way of saying d-rings!) and it's made of sturdier material and a larger bladder. It also has the ability to swap out bladders and swap to doubles in case later in your diving career you change your diving styles and desires.

Are those features worth an extra $150 or so?? If not for you - then the scout is perfect! If that sounds like a lot of extra options for that amount of money then move up a notch.

DevilDiver
09-18-2007, 21:44
This is a great BC for this type of diving.
Have you tried it on? Does it have the features you want? Comfort and prefomance are the real issues. Of course it has to look good as well......

crpntr133
09-18-2007, 23:04
Why not a Scout?? Because you are just plain insane!! Well OK, insane if you don't go with the Zeagle line.

keyshunter
09-19-2007, 04:54
I would consider the Zeagle Stiletto. Heavy duty construction, comes with ripcord system and rear weight pockets, and is still very packable.

bluering
09-19-2007, 05:36
I bought a scout for my daughter, she is a new diver, checked out with jacket style. she hasnot used it yet. maybe this weekend in boca grande pass, check with me monday!

scubafreak
09-21-2007, 18:05
I used a scout before I bought my Ranger. If I never had a need for going twins I would never have replaced the Scout. They are awesome BCs:smiley20::smiley20:

84turboz
09-22-2007, 07:52
I opted for the Brigade instead of the Scout. Arrived yesterday. Glad I spent the extra $ for the Brigade over the Scout. This is one awesome BC. Looks like it will pack up just fine also. Money well spent. Thanks ScubaToys!

ScubaToys Larry
09-22-2007, 07:56
I opted for the Brigade instead of the Scout. Arrived yesterday. Glad I spent the extra $ for the Brigade over the Scout. This is one awesome BC. Looks like it will pack up just fine also. Money well spent. Thanks ScubaToys!

Glad you like it! Now you understand why it's my favorite! Be sure to give us an update after you get to dive it!

CaribbeanDiver
09-22-2007, 08:37
I am checking out all the Zeagle BCs trying to decide which one I want. I mean, I have two BCs already so this one is going to be THE ONE and has to be just right.
anyway, here is my take and why I ruled out the SCOUT. The rear weight pockets are supposed to hold 20 LBs, but I want to see the magician that can put 20 LBs in them. Second, as Larry said, they are ditchable but not exactly the easiest thing to do. AND what I considered most important as the reason I ruled it out, the pocket opens from the bottom ans is solely supported by a velcro flap. To ditch you pull on a handle that rips the velcro open allowing the weights to drop. I do not trust velcro as my sole support for my weights. I have seen people lose weights when they are secured only by velcro fasteners and that is with the weights not even resting totally on the velcro closure.
As for the D Rings, I cannot remember if they have SS D Rings or Plastic but if they are plastic they can be changed to SS easily and relatively inexpensively. That isnt a problem at all.
The price is great, really hard to beat. The product is good quality, not Ranger quality but as good as about any other BC on the market.
Just my take, I agree with all those above who said go for the Stiletto Brigade, you wont be sorry.

crpntr133
09-22-2007, 13:50
The Scout is more designed for a weight belt diver or somebody that carries 4lbs. Who cares about ditching 4 lbs. Personally unless I am at the surface, who cares about ditching weight anyway.

quasimoto
09-22-2007, 17:00
Buy the Scout!!

boat
09-23-2007, 11:28
With my Scout I have 5 lbs in one trim pocket and 4 in the other. I wear 12# on a wt belt. You could probably get 10 lbs in one of the trim pockets but you might have to use some soft weights in the mix. I zip tied two 2# hard weights length wise (end to end) and they fit in nicely. I stack a 3# egg shaped weight on top of a 2# egg shaped weight inside a water bottle and stick that in the other pocket. I have room to spare so you can probably get the full 20# in if you played around with it enough. I've read reviews that say you'll become unstable if you put too much in the trim pockets and I think about the velcro release too.

Stingray Brett
09-23-2007, 13:07
I put 16 pounds in my scout!!!!

boat
09-23-2007, 18:54
I put 16 pounds in my scout!!!!

So did it ever feel like it was trying to roll you over? I probably shouldn't have repeated what I read in a review anyway.

Stingray Brett
09-23-2007, 20:01
It did but next time ill even it out and put some in the front pockets! Im not doing any deep diving so I would never most likely need to dump my weights in 20 Feet of water.

crpntr133
09-23-2007, 21:19
It did but next time ill even it out and put some in the front pockets! Im not doing any deep diving so I would never most likely need to dump my weights in 20 Feet of water.

Totally agree..if you can't swim it up then don't dive it.
I have dove with 8 in each pouch and it was getting close to being a bit of a pain.

Vercingetorix
09-27-2007, 10:13
I, too, am considering a Zeagle Scout as a secondary BCD. Those who know me from this forum know that I am an advocate of my BP/W rig. So why a Scout? I have aspirations to be a NAUI TA for ScubaToys; for those in PADI, TA is a non-paying, non-professional, trained volunteer who helps the instructor during classes, usually OW, AOW and Rescue. The shop policy is "No BP/W".

I prefer the Brigade. I trained with it in OW and it's rear-inflate. I just don't want to shell-out $400 (minus 10% discount, plus 8% tax) for a BC I'll wear only during class.

A friend, TxHockeyGuy, suggested the Scout at half the Brigade's price. Not only is the Scout a rear-inflate, I think it will pack lighter and easier for diving in tropical climes. I also anticipate that if I do a cold water class, with 7mil FJ, I can pack weights on the weight belt I already use.

From the comments I'm reading in this thread and others, it appears the Scout might be a good fit for my class needs. I'm 6 ft, 180 pounds and dive with a neutral-buoyancy AL80. I just want to ensure that 24-lb lift is enough for a steel 100, if need be.

Also, why is this considered a Women's BCD? I ask, because it's in the Women's area.

boat
09-28-2007, 07:44
Actually, the Scout shows up in both sections, men's and women's. I use my new Scout with a 7 mil farmer john/jacket and a weight belt. It's working out great that way for me. I got mine with the 35# wing though, which cost more of course, but I didn't have to buy "weight thingies" either.