PDA

View Full Version : Your Exercise Regimen?

FishFood
09-18-2007, 21:35
What is your exercise plan like? Do you stick to it?

Ill start off. I used to do it different, but based on replies in my other thread this is my new regimen:

It's a 3 day cycle. 1)Jog 1.5 Miles 2)Ride Elliptical Bike 30 Minutes 3)Lift Free Weights/Push Up/Sit Ups (Rest on Sunday)

EDIT:

I thought that was a thread about this already, figures id find it after I post....

cudachaser
09-18-2007, 21:44
Eat, sleep, dive & drink

FishFood
09-18-2007, 21:55
Eat, sleep, dive & drink

I tried that once. Didin't turn out too well.

kingfish
09-19-2007, 04:39
I started swimming Tuesdays and Thursdays about 2 months ago.
So far i havent missed a night.
I have worked up to 20 laps straight then a go in the spa and sauna to relax.

Jas.

wxboy911
09-19-2007, 06:48
I do my best to get on the treadmill 3 times a week and spend a lot of time chasing my children...seems to work OK.

BobArnold8265
09-19-2007, 08:37
About 15 minutes of push-ups and sit-ups every morning.
Evenings I also do a three day cycle:

Day 1 - Run 30 to 40 minutes
Day 2 - Eliptical Runner 30 to 40 minutes
Day 3 - off

I increase than a bit if I plan to run in a race but generally that's what I average and have been able to stick to for a few years now.

ccarter
09-19-2007, 08:46
I usually try and ride my road or mountain bike everyday with a rest day on Monday. Tuesday I usually do "speed work", Wednesday I work on climbing, Thursday is a slightly longer ride with a bit of everything, Friday kind of a recovery ride, then Saturday/Sunday I usually have two long training rides or a race weekend. Cycling is my main hobby though being that I don't live close enough to the ocean and I really really hate quarry/spring diving.

Charles R
09-19-2007, 08:48
5 Days a week 45min/5 miles on Eliptical then Lift weights alternating upper and lower Body. I have lost 15lbs in 2 weeks and only have 35 more to go there is no stopping me now I see a light at the end of the tunnel:smilie40:

NitroWill
09-19-2007, 08:49
I usually swim laps/work on breath-holding for at least an hour a night in the pool..

creggur
09-19-2007, 10:05
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x267/creggur/PrismRocks.gif

Grip firmly, lift until reaches mouth, sip, swallow....Repeat until empty.

Refill, switch hands, repeat reps....

DZorn00
09-19-2007, 11:52
I do my best to get on the treadmill 3 times a week and spend a lot of time chasing my children...seems to work OK.

This is the best workout in the world. Kids will always work out mucles you didn't even know you have...

Charlotte Smith
09-19-2007, 11:56
[quote=creggur;56020]http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x267/creggur/PrismRocks.gif

Grip firmly, lift until reaches mouth, sip, swallow....Repeat until empty.

Refill, switch hands, repeat reps....[/quote
How funny....thats my idea of exercise.....

CC1020
09-19-2007, 12:12
I generally do 4-5 days a week of:
Stairmaster 40 min/day
60 pushups
60 Squats
60 Bicycle sit-ups

BuzzGA
09-20-2007, 00:04
Monday, Wednesday, Friday 2-mile run
Tuesday, Thursday,
Saturday 30 min eliptical and then weights (if not diving or hiking...)
Sunday watch football, drink beer

quarkuud
09-20-2007, 01:38
I cycle to work twice a week (about 30k round trip), run 4-6k 2-3x per week, try to swim a mile one night a week, and have baseball practice once a week since we're not into games yet. I do sit-ups and push-ups in front of the TV most nights for about 15 minutes.

When I get busy, though, working out is the first thing to go. I'm trying to convince myself that even when I'm tired, I feel better when I work out.

johnbaggs
09-21-2007, 03:07
Run 2-3 times a week alternate swimming 2-3 times a week with at least 1 day off.
I usually hit the gym 4 days a week and constantly change my workouts. I'll do heavy lifting for about a couple weeks and then switch to lighter more endurance based workouts, then go somewhere in between. My theory is if you change your workouts, your muscles kind of go into shock and never get relaxed in that same ole same ole routine.

But the workout is no good if you don't eat right. I see a lot of guys at the gym I go to with big arms, big chest and big guts to match.
No Fast Food PERIOD! that stuff will kill you. No Soda (or Pop if you're a Northerner) I cut way back on coffee (2 maybe 3 cups a day if I'm lucky) and no smoking. But hey, that's just me.

RikRaeder
09-21-2007, 04:05
Mine goes something like this:
Lift 12 oz, lower 10, lift 10 oz, lower 8...etc
then repeat

Once I join a new gym I'll swim 2km five days a week (half freestyle, half breast, easy pace, no rest) but then my free weights will consist of lift 12 oz, lower 6...etc then repeat

Bill22
09-21-2007, 04:37
My work schedule rotates every week. One week I have a three day weekend and the next I work a three day weekend. On the weekends that I work, I'll go to the gym after work and do 35 minutes on the elliptical. I'm up to 10 minutes at level 10 and the remainder at level 5. Last workout I hit 4.75 miles and just over 400 calories burned. Then I'll stretch for about 15-20 minutes. During the week I swim laps. I'm up to about 1200 meters in 40 minutes. After swimming I go sit in the sauna for 10-15 minutes. I usually will rest 1-2 days in between workouts depending on how I feel.

I've tightened up on my diet, cut way back on drinking and I've lost 24 lbs (from 217 down to 193 at 5' 10 1/2" tall) since the beginning of July. I'd like to lose about another 25 which would get me back down to the weight I was at in my 20's and early 30's :-)

ccarter
09-21-2007, 08:59
But the workout is no good if you don't eat right. I see a lot of guys at the gym I go to with big arms, big chest and big guts to match.
No Fast Food PERIOD! that stuff will kill you. No Soda (or Pop if you're a Northerner) I cut way back on coffee (2 maybe 3 cups a day if I'm lucky) and no smoking. But hey, that's just me.
Agreed. It seems people are always looking for some secret way to lose weight/be healthy while still eating junk and engaging in minimal levels of exercise. People at work that are aware of my obsessive levels of cycling will start talking about some fad diet bar or something similiar like I'm supposed to know about it.. I'm just like uhh.. just eat healthy/exercise and don't worry about the marketing hype telling you that you can eat this and not worry about exercising. It's not rocket science.. veggies = good, chocolate = bad.. fruit = good, coke = bad. C'mon!

I hate fast food as well but on the weekends if I'm traveling sometimes I end up having to grab something.. I always try and hit a Wendy's or a Subway for Baked Potato/Yogurt/Chili or Veggie Sub and some apple slices. I usually try and carry stuff from home though.. cheaper and better for you. :smiley20:

diver_daver
09-21-2007, 10:40
I like to make a sport out of working out, are there any other Crossfitters out there?

I do Crossfit {check out www.crossfit.com} three times a week, martial arts twice a week, walk 4-5K every day {I have an 11 year old puppy Australian Blue Healer}. This does not include play time and diving...

ScubaJenn81
09-21-2007, 12:11
Cardio 5 times a week (30-40 minutes) Lifting 2 times a week (30 min) and then fun on the weekends.

johnbaggs
09-21-2007, 17:48
My work schedule rotates every week. One week I have a three day weekend and the next I work a three day weekend. On the weekends that I work, I'll go to the gym after work and do 35 minutes on the elliptical. I'm up to 10 minutes at level 10 and the remainder at level 5. Last workout I hit 4.75 miles and just over 400 calories burned. Then I'll stretch for about 15-20 minutes. During the week I swim laps. I'm up to about 1200 meters in 40 minutes. After swimming I go sit in the sauna for 10-15 minutes. I usually will rest 1-2 days in between workouts depending on how I feel.

I've tightened up on my diet, cut way back on drinking and I've lost 24 lbs (from 217 down to 193 at 5' 10 1/2" tall) since the beginning of July. I'd like to lose about another 25 which would get me back down to the weight I was at in my 20's and early 30's :-)

I hear that on the diet. I had to change my whole lifestyle and just learn there are foods I just simply can't eat anymore (fast food, sausage, Chinese food). Lost 31 lbs and got my old paratrooper physique back.

rktman26
09-21-2007, 19:39
I'm training for a Marathon on Oct 28th. Right now I'm up to running 32 miles a week. Because of scheduling, this week (last Sun- this Sat), I'll hit 50 miles. That is- if I make the 18 miler I've got to do tomorrow.

FishFood
09-21-2007, 23:11
I'm training for a Marathon on Oct 28th. Right now I'm up to running 32 miles a week. Because of scheduling, this week (last Sun- this Sat), I'll hit 50 miles. That is- if I make the 18 miler I've got to do tomorrow.

Wow ^

I feel bad now... I feel like Ive done good by jogging a couple miles :(

rktman26
09-22-2007, 14:47

Wow ^

I feel bad now... I feel like Ive done good by jogging a couple miles :(

I mnaged to finish 18.5 miles this morning, although I feel like crap now. It was hot and humid, so I'm a little dehydrated- not to mention sore and tired.

Don't feel bad- two years ago I could barely finish 4 or 5 miles. I just set a goal (the Marine Corps Marathon), and worked towards it. You could do the same if you chose to. Although, the way I feel today, I'm not sure I'd recommend it.

dludwig
09-22-2007, 15:41
Bad knees won't allow much running these days. Try to walk for a 1/2 hour at least 4 days, cardio & then swim an hour twice per week.

johnbaggs
09-22-2007, 20:17
Almost forgot to mention, Protein powder, swear by it. I don't get crazy and do the weight gainer 4000, but just an extra 10-15 grams in a protein drink seems to help me out. Plus I get amino acids from the powder I take and it's not a bad snack in between breakfast and lunch or after workout pick-me-up

scubasavvy
09-22-2007, 23:14
I live on Beacon Hill where everything is literally up hill both ways, so I'm not too concerned about my cardio. However, I put my kit together and lift it a few times for my weight lifting segment, lol.

pnevai
09-22-2007, 23:53
Self explanitory

Bill22
09-23-2007, 09:31

I hear that on the diet. I had to change my whole lifestyle and just learn there are foods I just simply can't eat anymore (fast food, sausage, Chinese food). Lost 31 lbs and got my old paratrooper physique back.

I do allow myself a cheat meal every now and then. Usually it will be a stop by my favorite tempura place ;-) I love Taco Bell. I just can't allow myself to indulge very often. I didn't make it to the commissary to buy food once and ended up eating Taco Bell two days in a row... I regained three pounds!

I had an early appointment last week and got off my eating schedule, because I got off my sleep schedule to make the appointment (my schedule can be a little complicated sometimes :-))). I came out and was starving so I stopped by McDonalds on the base. Hadn't eaten McDonalds in months. Had a Quarter Pounder with Cheese and Fries with an iced tea. Tasted great but I felt sick later. Guess my body had gotten used to not having all that grease :-))

Generally speaking though, a cheat meal will be maybe once a week.

CaribbeanDiver
09-29-2007, 07:48

I go to the gym 3 times a week lifting weights. Lat raises, curls, bench press, chest flies, tricep extensions, leg press, hamstring curls, calve raises then I go to the treadmill for 20-30 min.
I used to only lift but that didnt help my SAC rate, didnt cut any inches off my waist and only made it harder for me to reach my valves.
But since I incorporated the treadmill, my SAC has increased and I seem to be more flexible.
I run for 5 min, walk for 2, then run for 5, walk for 3 and run again for a few minutes then end with the cool down.
Aint hard, easily fits into your schedule if you prioritize it. Just keep thinking it helps make your diving that much better.

jimmysdevoted
09-30-2007, 21:24
I thought snorkeling was exercise???

I used to day hike, but then I got my name Bearfood, and well now I dont hike. being night blind makes coming down a mountain a bit hard.

I like mini golf.. now thats exercise......... when i can afford it.
I like bowling........ when i can afford it
I like well... i used ot do PIlates and richard simmons workouts.. but thats too hard in an unairconditioned house with 9 babaies( dogs).
So my exercise is stepping over messes of pile sof clothes, and stepping of sleeping babies and dive gear.

scuba Widow
09-30-2007, 21:34
I thought snorkeling was exercise???

I used to day hike, but then I got my name Bearfood, and well now I dont hike. being night blind makes coming down a mountain a bit hard.

I like mini golf.. now thats exercise......... when i can afford it.
I like bowling........ when i can afford it
I like well... i used ot do PIlates and richard simmons workouts.. but thats too hard in an unairconditioned house with 9 babaies( dogs).
So my exercise is stepping over messes of pile sof clothes, and stepping of sleeping babies and dive gear.

I like to mini golf, bowl and would love to find someone to do an exercise regimen with, but with work it is hard to do...what kind of dogs?

jimmysdevoted
09-30-2007, 22:06
I love mini golf. Thats what my family is giving me for my birthday this year. A day in Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg to do mini golf.

My favorite is Old Macdonalds Farm. But I am thinking Davy crockett and other strange ones I havent done.

scuba Widow
09-30-2007, 22:11
I love mini golf. Thats what my family is giving me for my birthday this year. A day in Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg to do mini golf.

My favorite is Old Macdonalds Farm. But I am thinking Davy crockett and other strange ones I havent done.

I haven't done any mini golfing here in Tennessee yet.

jimmysdevoted
09-30-2007, 22:14
Mini Golf is BIG here. Pigeon forge is loaded with places. Jefferson city has one place behind the Blockbuster store. GAtlinburg has a few places.

Our favorite plkace to burn up calories and time is Gatlinburg. We go ghost tours, walk form one golf place to another and in general teh walk is strenuous.

Anne Eastwell
10-01-2007, 19:00
My pattern has changed in the last 3 months. Gone from eating, sleeping, working to eating, sleeping, gym, working....

Motivated by a shrinking wetsuit!:smiley5: I joined Curves and we have a set circuit that takes 30 minutes, I'm dragging myself out of bed early to get there anywhere between 3-5 times a week. My overall fitness has improved and there's still a ways to go but I can see the changes (a few lost centimetres here and there) and even better, so can my significant other!!:smiley20: "getting curves back, babe" - gotta be a good thing right?

namabiru
10-01-2007, 21:14
I am going to the gym every day now (easy when it's on the second floor), and I lift weights for 30 minutes. Then I'm getting my aerobic fitness back gradually (I lost some of it with moving and then moving again) by spending time on the exercise bike, the treadmill, and yesterday I tried the rowing machine out. When I get some of my stamina back, I'll switch back over to the elliptical.
I've gone down in the morning before, but when I have to be at work at 7.30 I go after. I get off work at 1.30 due to Ramadan, so can get home by 2 or so. So it still works well.
But I'm trying to schedule such that I have a full 24-hours of recovery for my muscles.
It's a work in progress.

highdesert
10-02-2007, 12:10
The road bike ... 20 miles a day minimum in season, then onto the trainer at home in the winter and the stationary bike at the gym. Dropped 15 pounds in the last two months ... woohoo! Will have to adjust weight on the next dive trip (11 days away!), and riding gets your hips and backside conditioned to where you can fin forever, if for some reason you have to.

Jackalope
10-04-2007, 14:58
I find I do a lot better when working towards with others. I find cycling with the local bike club and working toward my black belt good ways to keep fit.

tghe exact routine you follow is a lot less important than the fact that you're just out there doing something.

:smiley20:

gh2557
10-25-2007, 20:00
Each day either recumbent , elipitical, or stairmaster going 45 -60 minutes, weights afterwards 3 times a week. Exercise is the best stress reliever.

cyclone
10-25-2007, 20:13
Spend 2 to 3 hours on Threadmill. 15 to 20 miles every other day.

texdiveguy
10-25-2007, 20:39
I am on the new Twinkie diet plan!!!

mm2002
11-12-2007, 15:57
I am on the new Twinkie diet plan!!!

Yeah, with a couple glasses of ice cold milk eh?:smiley36:

rach
11-18-2007, 21:54
honestly, i take my weight, BMR, and % body fat every 2 weeks....when i ran non-stop i gained weight and fat, but....

when i dive on the weekends i lose it all! guess i'm just going to have to stick to a diving workout...what a toughie!!

Krakenn
11-19-2007, 02:05
I know I can, I know I can, I know I can - Phew

Get up get to fridge, get back to armchair, lift can lid... swill.

Ask wife to give me a spell and get next can for love child.... then duck or sometimes have to run around house to dodge wife.

Thank god for a remote control to watch TV...

PLEASE DONT READ BELOW IF YOU ARE SENSITIVE - FOO2 WILL DELETE THIS IF IM TOO NAUGHTY _ RIGHT FOO2? - TRUST IN THE FOO2

The other exercise is called Texican Rodeo Workout. You have to assume the position with your love godess then call out another womans name and try to hold on - yea hah! :smiley18:

Thankyou God.

Kraks - The serious one!

MichaelJ_AUS
11-19-2007, 03:58
edit
....I used to only lift but that didnt help my SAC rate, didnt cut any inches off my waist and only made it harder for me to reach my valves....

I run for 5 min, walk for 2, then run for 5, walk for 3 and run again for a few minutes then end with the cool down.....

Ok now without anyone getting defensive I mean not to offend, just trying to pass on some knowledge that I know to try and help.

As to your non weight loss thats probably because your diet wasn't in order. There's such a common misconception on how to go about excerise. You can and will loose weight doing 'weights', but 1) you have to do the right exercises, ie lots of legs (and leg press don't count and 2) you HAVE to change your diet (I'm assuming its not/wasn't 100%). 90% of weight loss is done OUTSIDE the gym, not at the Gym.

As to your running/walking. You've got the right idea. Interval training is the best way to loose fat. But if you can make the breaks in between shorter its going to be much much better. Although Interval training done right is hard, but its worth it.

MichaelJ_AUS
11-19-2007, 04:07
honestly, i take my weight, BMR, and % body fat every 2 weeks....when i ran non-stop i gained weight and fat, but....

when i dive on the weekends i lose it all! guess i'm just going to have to stick to a diving workout...what a toughie!!

I find this really strange. Have a look at every single runner, they are nothing but lean (at not muscle wise). It was probably more a result of your diet then the amount of excercise.

As has been said, there's plenty of people who go to the gym/excercise, work hard eat crap and still look crap. DIET is the key.

As to my workout. Its a bit crazy atm. Interval training 4-5 times a week (in the morning when possible, otherwise straight AFTER weights). Weights for about 1-1.5 hours a day (some days are shorter or longer, depends on the workout and rests between sets). Thats upper body 3 times a week, lower twice (only because of a knee problem). My diet is absolutely strict, eat every 2 hours, but I'm on a calorie deficient diet atm to try and get to 8% body fat. My lifts have only increased tho, which means I'm not losing muscle. Lots of protein and good fats, minimal carbs for many a reason (It is hard tho but I now have the right mindset). Then I do Hip-hop on saturdays and basketball on sundays.

But I give my body what it needs to recover, and very rarely have an injury. So works for me.

Michael

Silverlode
11-19-2007, 04:47
Anything that one can do with cardio/weights exercises that does not involve going to a gym? I don't think I can afford gym and diving. One of them will have to go, and I prefer it to be gym and not diving. But am wanting to keep fit and build up more strength and stamina for health and for diving.
I swim once and week though would want to do at least twice a week. Various styles and hoping to hit at least one km each time. Am also adding finning in to train finning.

headonkey
11-19-2007, 07:02

I like to make a sport out of working out, are there any other Crossfitters out there?

I do Crossfit {check out www.crossfit.com} three times a week, martial arts twice a week, walk 4-5K every day {I have an 11 year old puppy Australian Blue Healer}. This does not include play time and diving...

Another CFer! Since starting this program 2 1/2 months ago, I've made awesome progress. My Filthy Fifty time dropped 21 mins yesterday!

Seriously guys, if you think that you're in good shape, give CrossFit a go and you'll be VERY surprised.

rach
11-19-2007, 12:05

I find this really strange. Have a look at every single runner, they are nothing but lean (at not muscle wise). It was probably more a result of your diet then the amount of excercise.

As has been said, there's plenty of people who go to the gym/excercise, work hard eat crap and still look crap. DIET is the key.

i would say that as well, but i eat horribly when i dive, particularly because it takes so much longer to do (go to the dive shop, load up, 3 hours to get out to the site, do two dives with an SI inbetween, get back, rinse gear, walk home) than to run 8 miles (just a little over an hour) that when i dive i always eat out (and the options here are literally just chinese or pizza) and when i run i make dinner (chicken on the grill)....maybe it's just that those two times i've lost after diving were just flukes, but i'd much rather dive and get skinny than run every day and not lose a thing!

we'll see how it stands after my winter break--4 weeks of nothing but diving!

:smiley20:

mitsuguy
11-19-2007, 12:17
I swim... plain and simple... swim swim swim until I can't swim anymore... 2-3 times a week... our gym has an indoor 25 yd lap pool... I drop by on my way home from work and don't leave until I can barely walk... sore the next day - a little, but nothing horrible... I just started this a little more than a month ago, so I'm still working up to more potential, but I feel great doing it...

the first month was solely swimming, all styles... just last week started swimming with fins - same deal - all styles.... swimming with fins isn't nearly as much cardio as it is strength training, so I'll bounce back and forth between the two to make sure I stay pretty even...

IMO, swimming different styles is one of the best total body workouts you will find...

MichaelJ_AUS
11-19-2007, 16:43
Anything that one can do with cardio/weights exercises that does not involve going to a gym? I don't think I can afford gym and diving. One of them will have to go, and I prefer it to be gym and not diving. But am wanting to keep fit and build up more strength and stamina for health and for diving.
I swim once and week though would want to do at least twice a week. Various styles and hoping to hit at least one km each time. Am also adding finning in to train finning.

Hi Silverlode,

Good to see another Melbournian here. How long have you been diving for? What area of Melbourne you from, I'm out eastern suburbs.

Anyway, as to your question. I don't go to the gym as such. Bought all the free weights/squat rack/ chin up rack etc for home. Much better then gym, plus I find a gym distracting.

As your in Melbourne I can tell you of a place that sells weights and equipment cheaper then anywhere I have found, and good quality stuff. Do you have a specific budget that you could afford. Honestly wouldn't cost a whole lot for a simple bench plus a bar and some weights. Free weight excercises are best, forget machines, waste of money and time.

If you like once you get started I can help you work out a program that doesn't take a lot of your time, but is effective. As I said before interval training is also great for fat loss and cardiac fitness. In case anyone was wondering I'm not a personal trainer and most of them don't know 'squat' anyway (at least in Australia). Just done lots of reading, trial and error and helps having a scientific background.

Always willing to help those with motivation as much as I can.

Michael

Silverlode
11-19-2007, 17:33

Hi Silverlode,

Good to see another Melbournian here. How long have you been diving for? What area of Melbourne you from, I'm out eastern suburbs.

Anyway, as to your question. I don't go to the gym as such. Bought all the free weights/squat rack/ chin up rack etc for home. Much better then gym, plus I find a gym distracting.

As your in Melbourne I can tell you of a place that sells weights and equipment cheaper then anywhere I have found, and good quality stuff. Do you have a specific budget that you could afford. Honestly wouldn't cost a whole lot for a simple bench plus a bar and some weights. Free weight excercises are best, forget machines, waste of money and time.

If you like once you get started I can help you work out a program that doesn't take a lot of your time, but is effective. As I said before interval training is also great for fat loss and cardiac fitness. In case anyone was wondering I'm not a personal trainer and most of them don't know 'squat' anyway (at least in Australia). Just done lots of reading, trial and error and helps having a scientific background.

Michael

Hi Mike (very aussie to shorten name! I found to my amusement)
I'm in the South Eastern Suburbs.
Don't mind the name of the place where you can get cheap weights equipment. Only problem is I wanna spend on my dive equipments first!! How do you do interval training with no machine? You do write like a personal trainer :).
I know what a squat is, but then I was not born in Australia. I hate squats!

MichaelJ_AUS
11-19-2007, 20:00

Hi Silverlode,

Michael

Hi Mike (very aussie to shorten name! I found to my amusement)
I'm in the South Eastern Suburbs.
Don't mind the name of the place where you can get cheap weights equipment. Only problem is I wanna spend on my dive equipments first!! How do you do interval training with no machine? You do write like a personal trainer :).
I know what a squat is, but then I was not born in Australia. I hate squats!

I'll PM you the name of the place and get the contact details for you. I'll have to go past after work (its on the way home). Its out my way tho, but probably not that far drive for you.

As to what you want to spend money on, every things a compromise. In all honesty you would probably only need a few hundred to get started. Simple bench plus some weight plates, dumbbells and barbell. Squats, most people hate, but when you do them, I love them (But can't do them atm untill I get my knee fixed). They are critical really for building strength. They are they biggest muscle in your body yet neglected so often. Anyway....

Interval training is harder using a machine, well you could do it on a bike, but treadmill running is just boring.

Basically it works something like.
Slow warm up jog 3-4mins.
Then cycle:
Sprint (80% of fastest sprint) for 30 seconds. ~200m or so
Slow jog 30 seconds. ~100m
Repeat this cycle about 10 times to start with, which will cover about 2.5kms.
Cool down 3-5 mins slow jog into walk.

It only takes about 15 mins, but is damn hard. As it gets easier increase the number of cycles you do. It doesnt burn as much fat immediately like a 4km straight jog. But you end up burning fat for the next 6-8 hours, as it keeps your metabolism fired up for longer. If its too hard, try this which is what I'm doing atm to see how it works.

Do the above, but only do 5 cycles.
Before the interval training do a 2km jog, then do the 5 cycles of interval training. Seems to work, but only been doing it for a few days.

BUT, unless your eating well and changed your eating habits, it won't do much. :smiley2:

Michael

Silverlode
11-19-2007, 20:37
I thought interval is harder not using a machine. :D
I can't jog as yet, and no way can do squat - also has bad knees.
A few hundreds into the cost of exercise equipments take it away from my dive equipments :(
I'm eating toooooo weelll.... and all the end of year partying ;) I'm hungry all the time now.

MichaelJ_AUS
11-19-2007, 21:08
Its harder not using a machine. LOL I meant its annoying using a machine.

Silverlode
11-19-2007, 21:10

Ah! How does one train interval without using a machine? That, I'm interested in.

Michael, looks like you're just as addicted as I am to the board. :)

MichaelJ_AUS
11-20-2007, 00:23

Ah! How does one train interval without using a machine? That, I'm interested in.

Michael, looks like you're just as addicted as I am to the board. :)

Read my post above for interval training. Can only really do it running or on a stationary bike with the resistance turned up high.

HMm not really addicted, work is juts boring, passes the time lol. :smiley36:

mcc2318
11-20-2007, 00:26
Day 1, Run 2 miles
Day 2, Upper Body
Day 3, Lower Body Abs,
Day 4, off

kyfriedchipper
11-23-2007, 23:08
check out Welcome to CrossFit: Forging Elite Fitness (http://www.crossfit.com) - one of the members has it on their signature - its a great website - i tried one of the workouts the other day - and i can't bend my arms straight they hurt so bad!

IrishSquid
11-24-2007, 09:58
16 oz.curls for strength, Good cigar for cardio.

CaribbeanDiver
11-24-2007, 10:14
my routine consists of both weight lifting and cardio work, usually on an eliptical. over the past couple of months I have decreased the weight training both in the amount of weight and number of sets and gone more to cardio.
I am a slow learner but I finally figured out that I can get longer dives if my breathing rate is less and that can be achieved through cardio work.
I also cut down the number of days I go to the gym to 3 a week, 4 at the max. I used to go 5 or 6 times a week but when it dawned on me that hercules wasnt considered a good diver, I changed my routine.
I start with lat arm raises, then front delt raises, then dumbbell bench presses, then flies, then curls, then skull crushers or french presses, then some tricep pulldowns, then upper rows, then lower rows and end with lat pull downs.
then I do 20-30 minutes on the eliptical.

kev99
11-24-2007, 10:56
I am a slow learner but I finally figured out that I can get longer dives if my breathing rate is less and that can be achieved through cardio work.

Same here, last time I was at the doctor they took my pulse and the nurse asked me if I worked out a lot. I said, "A little I guess", not really thinking about it that way. Then she said, "Well, your pulse is low and that usually suggest someone who works out a lot". I told her I use the elliptical, about four to five days a week, about 4 miles each time, and she said, "Well yeah, that's what I meant!" OK, didn't consider myself someone who works out a lot.

I also cut back on the free weights earlier this year and focused on the cardio to cut some fat, but have started to implement some stretching, pilates, weights, and crunches, push-ups, and old football exercises lately to help with my core strength. Plus, more muscle means more fat burning at idle.

CaribbeanDiver
11-24-2007, 17:58
plus more muscle and less fat means you can carry less weight because muscle sinks and fat floats. not to mention the added benefit when you have to carry all that gear around; especially, if you do any shore diving.
4 miles on an eliptical? I am working up to that but have a long way to go. at my current pace, 4 miles would take around 40-45 minutes. I do around 15-20 minutes now and only since I got some headphones did I stop checking the time every 8 seconds.

kev99
11-24-2007, 18:55
4 miles on an eliptical? I am working up to that but have a long way to go. at my current pace, 4 miles would take around 40-45 minutes. I do around 15-20 minutes now and only since I got some headphones did I stop checking the time every 8 seconds.

You nailed it. If I did not have the elliptical downstairs in the workout room with a TV in front of me, I would get so bored. It used to be hard to do a mile! Then after a while you get used to it. I could go longer, but I am so strapped for time that I do the 4 miles, then do a little stretching and weight training before my time is up. By the way, it takes me about 30 minutes to do the 4 miles. It used to take me 48 minutes to go 3 1/2 on my old elliptical and before I got in better shape. My friend wants me to run, but I can not run (effectively) due to the pain in my ankle. Still trying to get that straight after the surgery earlier this year and yes, I am frustrated with my podiatrist about how long it has taken on recovery.

Navy OnStar
11-24-2007, 18:59
I cycle to work. 12miles each direction. I average about 20mph so it's about a 45min ride on each side of work. Try to do it 3 times a week but haven't been very good lately due to weird work schedule.

kev99
11-24-2007, 20:33
I cycle to work. 12miles each direction. I average about 20mph so it's about a 45min ride on each side of work. Try to do it 3 times a week but haven't been very good lately due to weird work schedule.

I admire you; saving the environment and living healthy! :smiley2:

kittyjg
11-25-2007, 16:59
How in the world do you work the elliptical? I can't go 1/2 mile without getting my arms and my legs out of sync and try to fall off. There are several at the gym I go to. I see people on them all the time and some go really fast.

BuzzF117
11-25-2007, 17:07
Don't really have a work out regiment due to arthritic hips but I do take stairs when possible and park in the boonies at WalMart and walk in. Walking is the only thing besides diving that doesn't cause me major pain.

kev99
11-25-2007, 17:59
How in the world do you work the elliptical? I can't go 1/2 mile without getting my arms and my legs out of sync and try to fall off. There are several at the gym I go to. I see people on them all the time and some go really fast.

That is interesting because I have had two (horizon fitness and currently an Octane Fitness) and both of those along with ones I have seen at stores have the arms and legs moving together. In other words, when you put your feet on the boards and start moving, the arms automatically move. I love my Octane because it has a better built frame and rails and it has a wireless heart monitor along with extra features.

Do the ones at your gym move independently; i.e. the arms move independent of the legs? What kind are they?

MandieR
11-25-2007, 18:18
workout MWF w/Firm videos. Monday is cardio w/weights, Wednesday is weights w/very little cardio Friday is just cardio. All three are ~1 hour long from warm-up to cool down.
On TTh I'm going to start doing a 30 min cardio that will vary week to week.
I really want to get an elliptical for cardio but need to do some research on brand and find some place to stash it.

kev99
11-25-2007, 18:59
workout MWF w/Firm videos. Monday is cardio w/weights, Wednesday is weights w/very little cardio Friday is just cardio. All three are ~1 hour long from warm-up to cool down.
On TTh I'm going to start doing a 30 min cardio that will vary week to week.
I really want to get an elliptical for cardio but need to do some research on brand and find some place to stash it.

Definitely do the research and try them out in person. The stride and geometry of the stride are different per manufacturer and some feel a lot better than others. Some are adjustable as well.

I would highly recommend Octane Fitness, as it is the second one I have bought. The first one, a Horizon Fitness from Dick's was the nicest feeling one we could find a couple of years ago, but it broke a couple of months ago. So, I bought an Octane after checking them out and seeing how they were constructed with the double rails for the footboards, a much better design in my opinion. The Octane also feels really good when you step on. Check out their web site for more information; Octane Fitness (http://www.octanefitness.com/).

The horizon broke, literally. A stud that went through the front wheel, not the heavy flywheel, where the leg brace attached broke off when I was using it.

jl21
11-29-2007, 08:10
I've been jumping rope lately. Seems to help conditioning

scubajane
11-29-2007, 17:00
eat less move more......simple slow... 30 lbs in 2 years.....much healthier

tarheeldiver
11-29-2007, 17:33
I use Bowflex and just started using the Perfect Pushup I thought they were just tv hype but I can really tell a difference using them.

ohscubagrrl
12-12-2007, 08:25
I try to make it to the gym 3 times a week and run at least 2 - 3 miles. I need to start incorporating some weight training though...the scale has not gone up, but the inches have crept on.

The weekends are usually fairly active with skiing or diving depending on the season.

kancho
12-12-2007, 08:39
Jog 20 - 30min 2.5 to 4 miles depending on day..
1 hour of weights nothing too heavy...

Just strated the P90X program lets see if it works or how much I can do of it..

Anyone know the best way to thread water easily.

kancho
12-12-2007, 08:40
I do that 4 times a week. But since I eat too much it negates my workout haha..

teog
12-12-2007, 17:37
I weight lift 3 times weekly and do at least 30 minuts cardio 2 times weekly. Im also a firefighter/Paramdedic so we train on shift too.

But by looking at me you would never guess i work out so much.hahaha

1_T_Sub
12-13-2007, 21:33
1hour of eliptical 4-5 times a week when in town. Steak and Beer when not.

teog
12-13-2007, 21:42
1hour of eliptical 4-5 times a week when in town. Steak and Beer when not.

Geesh I get bored after 20 minutes..

No Misses
12-14-2007, 09:51
Once per week:
I lift 40 lbs (~50 reps = haul 6 tanks from house to car, from car to dock, from dock to boat, move them several times on the boat, followed by boat to dock, dock to car, car to fill station, fill station to car, car to house)
Swim 6-8 miles.
Ladder climbing with 60 lbs of weight strapped to my back (3 reps) :-)

I hope to continue this workout schedule until the day that I die. :smiley36:

scubaculture
12-14-2007, 10:30
I hit the gym 5 times a week.
30 -45 mins of weights then 30 mins cardio. Prefer to run a trail or something for cardio but when the roads get icey I just use a treadmill

teog
12-14-2007, 12:07
Once per week:
I lift 40 lbs (~50 reps = haul 6 tanks from house to car, from car to dock, from dock to boat, move them several times on the boat, followed by boat to dock, dock to car, car to fill station, fill station to car, car to house)
Swim 6-8 miles.
Ladder climbing with 60 lbs of weight strapped to my back (3 reps) :-)

I hope to continue this workout schedule until the day that I die. :smiley36:

This sounds like the best work out Ive ever heard of.:smiley32:

PsychDiver
12-17-2007, 15:02
I am revamping mine. Trying to run 30 min a day 5x wk and do three circuits on the universal 3x per week. The time to get it all done is the killer.:smiley11:

Grin
12-18-2007, 08:24
I run a mile at least once a day, every day, no matter what. It started off as walking my dog around the neighborhood. I figured why walk. There is no way of getting out of this trip every morning, as my dog will not allow passing this trip up. Rain or shine, wind, cold or hotter than hell out, we're going. Often I do another repeat trip in the evening if I'm bored, or feel like it, or if the dog makes me. If conditions are good enough I take the mountain bike operation to the local trails. Often it's just to hot or the trails are muddy/flooded or something for the mountain bike operation. It has made a huge difference in my health, and diving, and I can feel it. I also quit drinking soft drinks a year ago. replaced with water! That's about it, I'm not trying to loose weight, just feel good. I could never do a treadmill, I gotta get out and enjoy my excercise or it would never last. Sittups, :smilie39: That isn't what I call fun!

adv_diver1
12-18-2007, 20:50
I did karate for 8-10 hours a day mon-sat for 6 years and prior to that did karate for 6 hours a day for 10 years. Now I don't exercise... watching other peple exercise make me tired. I did enough exercise for the rest of my life and then some... still in shape too!!

fisheater
12-18-2007, 23:20
I try to swim in the mornings and have instituted "Mile Monday." 36 laps and I'm off for work.

When work's not too nutz, I try to get in a 20 mile bike ride.

anvil
12-19-2007, 01:35
I hit the gym 5.30 am 4-5 days a week work weights and cardio ,alternate front and back.Home for shower and good breakfast by 7.10. Usaully fall
asleep at afternoon tea break by thursday and spill coffee down my lap. But I lost 22kgs and have never felt fitter than I am since I was 18.
How many mid forty year olds can say that their wetsuit is getting bigger?
Also cleaned up my diet

teog
12-19-2007, 16:55
I hit the gym 5.30 am 4-5 days a week work weights and cardio ,alternate front and back.Home for shower and good breakfast by 7.10. Usaully fall
asleep at afternoon tea break by thursday and spill coffee down my lap. But I lost 22kgs and have never felt fitter than I am since I was 18.
How many mid forty year olds can say that their wetsuit is getting bigger?
Also cleaned up my diet

Congrats on all your hard work!

saltfly
12-20-2007, 15:01
Swimming. I figure it's the most relevent to the lifestyle. I started in June, and now I'm up to one mile, 4 times per week. A slow mile (I'm 49!) at 47 minutes. Breast stroke up, crawl back. And an IPOD is an H2Oddysey case so I don't die of boredom. I find James Brown the best motivator. Time just flies. Oh, and I lost 20 pounds doing this.

reeldive
12-20-2007, 19:55
12 oz curls both arms, six reps ever evening followed by 3 roll overs before getting out of bed in the morning. Never dive before noon. Watch my all girl crew wash my boat. Throw in another 12 oz curl on the wash rack

Lone Frogman
12-27-2007, 05:59
Biking,hiking,diving who needs anything else?