PDA

View Full Version : back to Curacao

BUDMAN
02-20-2012, 12:52
just booked a trip back to Curacao for spring. got a really good deal using hotel points and airline discounts.

man I don't know why but I just love that place.:smiley32:

now all I have to do is figure out what dives I want to do.

go back to the ones I did last year or try something new?

snagel
02-20-2012, 19:31
Have a great time. It took us a trip to figure out the diving. Now, we are ready to return.

Snagel

Clernix
02-20-2012, 19:57
Have a great time ! And lets see that DSLR in actions.

BUDMAN
02-21-2012, 05:02
i have 2 places I'm considering Watumula and Klein Curacao. I've heard there are turtles at Klein curacao. anyone been there?

cowgirldiver
02-21-2012, 12:56
I'm feeling quite jealous!! Seems like I've heard you might have to pay extra for Klein curacao....

BUDMAN
02-21-2012, 16:41
i was going to divide my dives between Ocean Encounters West and THe Dive Bus but it looks like the Dive bus will be in Bonaire that week so can anyone suggest a dive shop on the east end of the island?

Clernix
02-22-2012, 18:56
If you have a car I can really recommend the shop on Playa Laguna there a great bunch.

I just booked my tickets for 12/27-01/08/13 a long way away but I wanted to use miles for my tickets and the pickings were getting slim

I am going to do half on Curacao and get a puddle jump to Bonaire for the other half

diversteve
02-23-2012, 05:52
i have 2 places I'm considering Watumula and Klein Curacao. I've heard there are turtles at Klein curacao. anyone been there?There were also turtles at Playa Lagun.

And in the shallows (6') at Varsenbaii to the east. The operator said they're always there - they feed on the grass. I was kicking back in when one popped up next to me. If you dive Varsenbaii go east at about 80' and you'll find the wreck of the pontoon boat used to ferry in the cars dropped on the Carpile site. It's a flat wreck but there's lots of stuff underneath it now. When we were there a pair of seahorses lived 1M up the wall from the mooring ball at 40' - the onsite operator told us how to find them.

Watamula is the one dive we missed that I really wanted to do. A friend's wife used to guide there, she said it's one of the best. Also Snake Bay - they often see dolphins there.

i was going to divide my dives between Ocean Encounters West and THe Dive Bus but it looks like the Dive bus will be in Bonaire that week so can anyone suggest a dive shop on the east end of the island?OEWest now calls themselves Go West Diving. Still seems to be owned by Ocean Encounters. I've heard good things about Atlantis but have no experience with them. They have a trip to Klein also.

below sea level
02-23-2012, 07:06
OEWest now calls themselves Go West Diving. Still seems to be owned by Ocean Encounters. I've heard good things about Atlantis but have no experience with them. They have a trip to Klein also.

When I was there a couple of months ago, the story was that they had been part owned by Ocean Encounters but the Go West owner had just bought the remainder of the company from them. So they're no longer owned by Ocean Encounters but it's taking some time to switch over all of the branding.

diversteve
02-23-2012, 09:03
Your info is obviously more current than mine. Noted and Thanks for the correction.

Clernix
02-23-2012, 12:01
I am really interested to see how your Tamron works for you. After I bought it , I read some negative info on it.

BUDMAN
02-23-2012, 14:59
clernix what's the negative on Tamron lens? i've taken some good shots with it above water but only had it out once underwater.

Clernix
02-23-2012, 16:15
It’s getting pretty much low marks across the board compared to its counter-part from Tokina. There seems to be a chromatic aberration issue as well. I don’t think that will be a major factor underwater just because of the contrast in colors but if you overexpose in might come into play.

Right after I bought it a guy put up the Nikkor version of this lens up for half price so I really had buyers remorse. Live and learn.

Clernix
02-24-2012, 08:05
I was shooting with it on a trip to the Smokies two weeks ago and I was pretty happy too. I didn't notice anything right off but I really haven't gone through my shots yet.

I figure its' fine for now. The price was pretty good too. Have you looked at the Tamron 90mm macro? That is a really good lens its getting great marks and its ervery bit as good as the Nikkor counter part.

LeeParrish
02-24-2012, 15:04
What a coincidence, I put airline tickets on hold and made hotel reservations last night for Curacao. And it must be the same week; since you mentioned it I just went and checked and now I see that The Dive Bus will be in Bonaire that week... That's a bummer as I really wanted to dive with Mark again, he took me on my first dives after OW certification in 2009.

I'm not sure yet if I'm going to confirm it, we are already going to Europe on vacation (no diving though) in March, so taking another week off in May seems a little, well... I booked it as a wedding anniversary surprise trip, but the trip to Europe was also that :). The last time I went to Curacao in May the weather was great, and nothing was busy, so that may be a good time to do it again. The problem I had last time was a few shops didn't want to run some trips since I was solo and business was so slow that week that it didn't make sense to do trips to places like Mushroom Forest for one person. But since I now know at least one other diver will be on the island that week :).