PDA

View Full Version : Best Woman's BC?

mouse2146
09-18-2007, 23:07
Many years ago I purchased a Seaquest Diva and it was ok as far as BC's go. Looking to upgrade my BC after many years of not diving. Most of my diving will be a mix of freshwater/saltwater. After some extra training, possible member of PSD team of local fire department.

What woman's BC do you have and why do you like it?

Thanks.

Zenagirl
09-19-2007, 08:33
I have a Zeagle Zena and adore it. Besides being back inflate, the bladder stays behind you around the tank so its never in the way. The corset design has 6 points of fit and adjustment so its easy to fit perfectly on different bodies, and with the modular design of Zeagles, there are 4 different components that can be sized differently for a custom fit at any time of ownership (weight loss, gain, need a different sized bladder....). You can also add accessories to it out of the way by the bladder (pockets, pony holders....). Then there's the ripcord weight system and the lifetime warranty from Zeagle. However, not all women like the minimalist design.

PS My first BC was a Diva.....sold it after about 10 dives...it never fit right

quarkuud
09-20-2007, 03:16
I dive a Brigade. I looked at the Zena, but I really like being able to tuck my SPG under the cummerbund, and I generally wasn't sure how I'd feel about the zipper. I like the back inflate, and it fits me great, and I'm a small but not tiny woman.

So I guess I'm saying don't feel that you absolutely have to buy a "women's" BCD. Try a couple (and I would try back-inflate before you buy, there are people who dislike it). I'm sure you'll find one that's comfortable for you.

ScubaGir1
09-20-2007, 03:44
I have the SeaQuest Libra (w/ airsource package). I like it so far! I've had it for a little while now, and have no complaints! :smiley20:

Out of curiousity, I haven't seen many women/men with SeaQuest BC's...why??

Seems like everyone goes with Zeagle or Brigade :smilie40:

Zenagirl
09-20-2007, 08:44
Wow, your experience is far different from mine...I see a LOT of Seaquest BCs as well as Oceanic, and not usually that many Zeagles. Seaquest seems to be a popular rental and training BC where we dive.

ScubaGir1
09-20-2007, 23:06
Wow, your experience is far different from mine...I see a LOT of Seaquest BCs as well as Oceanic, and not usually that many Zeagles. Seaquest seems to be a popular rental and training BC where we dive.
Really?! Wow, how weird... :hmmmm:
Do you know why SeaQuest is popular for training and rental BC's?

Zenagirl
09-21-2007, 08:35
I think Seaquest are popular for rentals because they really have excellent construction and put up with a lot of abuse. One DM said that because of the plastic hard pack and 1 tank band, they are easier to set up and move on boats.

mouse2146
09-21-2007, 08:56
Thanks for all the replies, Keep them coming. I've been away from diving for 10+ years and things have changed in BC designs. I'll admit I'm leaning towards a Zeagle Lazer or Stilletto. Haven't gone to my LDS to try them on yet. Just wanted to read about other women and BC's why you liked yours. :smiley20:

divingyogini
09-21-2007, 13:01
I tried on several, including the Diva and a few back-inflates.

I ended up with an Oceanic Hera, which I just got and had the chance to try out in the pool last night. I absolutely love it!

It's a hybrid in that most of the air pushes into the back so your chest doesn't get compressed when you inflate, but it also pushes air into the hips, so you're not tipping forward on the surface.

I still have to adjust with some trim weights, but it's a great BCD. It's very well made - has steel d-rings (unlike the Diva's plastic), big pockets and lots of additional clip secures for hoses.

I have not yet adjusted the shoulder straps but I will be doing so soon.

It's also a very substantial BCD - in fact it's heavier than my husband's Seaquest ProQD. So it's definitely not a travel version. But it's very comfortable and had everything that I was looking for when I was shopping around. It fit me better than most of the other ones I tried on.

Zenagirl
09-21-2007, 18:46
Wow, heavier than a Pro QD?!? THAT'S one hefty BC!

Bottom line is it doesn't matter which BC I like best, it's what YOU like and what fits YOU best that's the best BC for YOU. :D

marchand
09-21-2007, 22:49
You should go with the BC that fits you best. If I were in your position I would get a zeagle. Very adjustable and customizable.

mdwestgrl
09-21-2007, 23:20
I dive with a Sherwood Luna as does one of my buddies, both of us really like them. They have a soft lining on the inside of the BC so if you are doing any diving with just a swim suit you do not have the rough material rubbing against you. I also really like the releasable weight system on the Sherwood. Very comfortable and well built BC. If I ever have to buy another BC I would buy another Sherwood. My husband is trying to talk me into a BP/W but I just do not think that is for me. I like the Jacket BC.

Roggen
09-22-2007, 19:28
Just curious, but have you given any thought to a BP/W system.

I too have the Seaquest Diva and really don't care for it. I am currently in the process of switching to a BP/W. I have about 5 dives with it currently and really like to open feeling in front. An added bonus is having the weight distributed on my back more with a stainless steel backplate.

moodymermaid
10-15-2007, 13:55
I tried on several, including the Diva and a few back-inflates.

I ended up with an Oceanic Hera, which I just got and had the chance to try out in the pool last night. I absolutely love it!

It's a hybrid in that most of the air pushes into the back so your chest doesn't get compressed when you inflate, but it also pushes air into the hips, so you're not tipping forward on the surface.

I still have to adjust with some trim weights, but it's a great BCD. It's very well made - has steel d-rings (unlike the Diva's plastic), big pockets and lots of additional clip secures for hoses.

I have not yet adjusted the shoulder straps but I will be doing so soon.

It's also a very substantial BCD - in fact it's heavier than my husband's Seaquest ProQD. So it's definitely not a travel version. But it's very comfortable and had everything that I was looking for when I was shopping around. It fit me better than most of the other ones I tried on.
Diving Yogini -

You've answered the question I wanted to ask, which was: Has anyone used the Hera?

But you've got me a bit worried - Hope you don't mind a follow-up question!

While a "substantial" BC sounds like a good thing, I'm wondering exactly what that means in terms of travel. I've been looking at the Hera and seriously considering it, but much of my diving is dive travel.

Is the Hera physically bulkier than most BCs, or just heavier?
Would the weight actually deter you from buying it if you travelled alot?

thanks,

moodymermaid

caroln
10-15-2007, 16:24
I have and love the Seaquest Libra. It's really well made and comfortable in the water. I hate feeling confined and having a lot of fabric and excess 'stuff' around me, and this definitely does not have that. It's got the creature comforts without being excessive. It's not too insanely bulky for travel either, in fact I've carried it on the plane for all the trips I've done this year along with all my other gear.

sidneydiver
10-15-2007, 16:58
I used to dive a Zena and I loved it. It was so comfortable it felt like I wasn't wearing it. I recently wanted to upgrade so I am now diving a Ranger which I also love. I was worried that I would hate it after my Zena but I really like it. For my doubles I dive a BP/W which I also like as long as I adjust it properly so it's snug.
I would never ever dive a jacket BC again. I like the freedom of not feeling constricted.

Jellybeandiver
10-21-2007, 21:12
I like the Tusa Selene I just wish they would make it one size bigger than they do. It's just not quite big enough for me.

cshel
10-21-2007, 21:43
I have a Zena. I wore a jacket in my classes and I hated the squeeze when inflating. I have a large bust and the Zena fits very snug but not confining. You can "build" your own because the parts are all interchangeable. I have a small back section, small shoulder section and a large front panel.

Try them on before you buy, dive with it if possible. That is the only way you are going to know how it feels for you... that's what counts.

messercat
10-28-2007, 08:42
I ended up with an Oceanic Hera, ... I absolutely love it!

It's also a very substantial BCD - in fact it's heavier than my husband's Seaquest ProQD. So it's definitely not a travel version. But it's very comfortable
Diving Yogini -

You've answered the question I wanted to ask, which was: Has anyone used the Hera?
thanks,

moodymermaid

I second moodymermaid's questions--- I am also looking for insight on who has dove with the Hera! why would you say it is not a travel version, just because there is more to it than some of the others?

how is it to dive with? comfortable? what are pros/cons?

DLXM Cayman
10-28-2007, 11:03
My wife has the scubapro ladyhawk and loves it - it has everything you need but the main thing is to get one that you find comfortable. My wife tried four or five before settling on this one.

SarahBella
10-29-2007, 08:25
I dive a Mares Kaila-I love the way it fits and the weight system is great. I usually dive in the cold water so I need to carry extra weight and I hated wearing the belt...The only problem with the Mares is that there is no carry handle. My husband dives an Aeris Atmos and the handle does come in handy.

Krafcheck
10-29-2007, 13:25
Got my wife a Hera couple of months ago. She loves it. She had a Excursion before that and thought she liked it until she got the Hera. She does better with her buoyancy with the vest type. Hera seems to run on the big side. If you normally wear a medium you may need a small Hera. Thats our experience anyways. It may just be a womans bc fitting thing.

bobbin-along
10-29-2007, 17:44
I have a Scubapro Ladyhawk and I have a DSS bp/w

I like the ladyhawk for many things.

It folds up nicely for travel even though it has a plastic plate in it.
I like the contoured/tapered weight pouches, as it means the sides don't feel terribly bulky. It's bad enough with a dry suit and baselayer.
I like the clean lines of it as a BC. There are no dangly bits anywhere (just like my plate and wing)
It's comfortable for the long hikes to dive sites, I still don't like schlepping my BP/wing and a HP119 for half a mile.
It's a back inflate.
It doesn't have that cinched up corset thing of the Zeagle Zenas. SOme like it, I don't. Especially with my dry suit.

missnumnutz
10-29-2007, 22:26
I ended up with an Oceanic Hera, ... I absolutely love it!

It's also a very substantial BCD - in fact it's heavier than my husband's Seaquest ProQD. So it's definitely not a travel version. But it's very comfortable
Diving Yogini -

thanks,

moodymermaid

I second moodymermaid's questions--- I am also looking for insight on who has dove with the Hera! why would you say it is not a travel version, just because there is more to it than some of the others?

how is it to dive with? comfortable? what are pros/cons?

hello.. i have the Hera.. I believe I answered Messercat via email too
I don't find it that heavy but it is very compact when it's folded up compared to my buddy's Oceanpro FX. Its a very comfortable and sleek looking BC - i wasn't able to try on any Zeagles as there aren't any in the LDS's here.
I have also tried a few BCs namely the very expensive but bulky scubapro, a tusa one and oceanic oceanpro and excursion - too expensive for the excursion.

you should go try it on, as I can only tell you that its comfy for me and im not that tiny even thought my size is Small in the Hera - it has adjustable front straps by way of some bolts whihc i find handy because it adjusts nice to my shoulder width.

I travel interstate currently with my Hera and it takes up less space than my buddy's oceanpro fx.

kayak32
11-04-2007, 14:40
I guess I am in the minority here. I have the Diva LX and love it. I have over 100 dives on it. This being said you just have to try different BC's until you find what is right for you. We are all built different. When I bought the Diva I was between and XS and S. Went with the S figuring I was more likely to gain than lose weight. Unfortunately I was right and have gained weight but the Diva still fits great, just adjusted the cummerbund out one prong.

TX1Chica
11-06-2007, 15:01
I have the Mares, Keila too and I love it. I fits like a glove, very comfortable.

Marcus
11-20-2007, 10:19
Am considering getting wife a Sherwood Solaris. The mens version the Axis is VERY comfortable, and a nice overall package. It is rear inflate, has nice pockets, great weight integrated system and price can't be beat. Got a price in the low 300's at LDS. I was impressed with it.

divingchef
11-20-2007, 10:45
My wife just got a new Zeagle Laser form Scuba Toys and she thinks its the most comfortable BCD she has ever worn....completely uninbiting with lots of movement and very balanced weight system....it has increased her desire to be in the water (which in the end helps me to be in the water!(: