PDA

View Full Version : I hate Delta.

Wolfie2012
07-14-2007, 00:06
So I left today (well, technically yesterday) to head to Florida for 10 days of sweet relaxing diving. We get at the airport in Omaha a few hours early for a 6:30pm flight. It's supposed to connect in Atlanta and get into Ft Lauderdale at around midnight.

So, long story short, my flight out of Omaha was delayed by nearly 2 hours due to mechanical failure causing us to miss the connection. The guy in Omaha before we left was nice about it, said hey I'll get you on the first flight out in the morning and when you get to Atlanta they'll hook you up with a hotel, transportation, blah blah blah. I thought, ok my first dive isn't scheduled until about 1pm Saturday and if the flight gets in at 9am, I figured that should be enough time to get down to Key Largo for the dive. I relaxed again thinking all was still well with the world.

Little did I know that Delta employees in Atlanta are some of the rudest uncaring people on the planet. We get into Atlanta andnotice there is nobody outside the arriving gate to direct us.So wehead to one of the counters to politely see who we needed to talk to in order to get the hotel/transportation, etc. Ultimately I get the run around and end up talking to 6 rude employees(and one telephone employee who was extremely apologetic becauseshe didn't understand why I was told to call her when she's not even in Atlanta to help me out). The lot of them really couldn't care less about the situation. Eventually I got to a supervisor who was even worse than the others. The supervisor had a security guard with her, so I knew things were just going to go downhill from there.

She proceeds to tell me that they have no hotels available and to go to yet another woman to get a voucher for a free meal (value of $7, yippee)in lieu of a hotel. If I wasn't angry before.. well you get the picture. I then go talk to the 8th Delta employee since I entered this glorious city.This womanwas the first who actually showed the least bit of compassion (although still no hotel rooms). After some "discussion" she offered me $50 per person in travel vouchers for a future flightand 2 meals a piece (me, my wife, and my 8yr old daughter). Well,I guessit's something.
<DIV>So, here I am, at my gate (A4 for those frequenters of this lovely airport)for a 7am flightin the Atlanta freakin airport at 1 in the mornin local time where I will most likely get no sleep and be unable to safely dive in the afternoon.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>At least the airport has wi-fi so I can vent to all you guys. I bet you're happy for that! ;)</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>

Joew
07-14-2007, 04:05
Sorry to hear about this. I hope you don't end up missing any dives. Delta is on the long list of airlines that I don't like.

Queen
07-14-2007, 05:40
Wow, what a crappy experience! Sure hope it works out and you get to start enjoying your vacation!!

I've BTDT and now (unless it's more than 18 hours from home) we just load up and drive. The airlines treat passengers as a huge inconvenience and until they get their Pile of unknown animal doodoo together they get no more of my money.

Blindref757
07-14-2007, 06:54
Uh...Queen...I have some bad news for you sister!!! You can't drive to Turks &amp; Caicos or Hawaii!!!

georoc01
07-14-2007, 10:08
This is why I pay more to fly direct whenever I can. I know from Omaha that's virtually impossible, but its one of the big plusses of living in Denver.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Unfortunately virtually all of the traditional, large airlines work like this. Its brutal.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>And to blindref, going by boat isn't all bad. There are some nice cruise ships that stop in Hawaii and T&amp;C!</DIV>

cummings66
07-14-2007, 11:02
One nice thing about being a pilot is I'd fly to some of those spots myself, but to be honest it cost me more to fly my plane than it does to get a ticket from a biggie.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I'm nicer than they are.</DIV>

Cichlid
07-14-2007, 14:06
Wow, that really sucks. This is one of those times whereyou hope karma comes into play with thoserude people with no sympathy. Next time they order their burger with no onions, they will get onions damn it.

frankc420
07-14-2007, 14:23
I read not to long ago that the airlines delay flights so they can catch up from earlier delays... it has nothing to do with what most people would think (most of the time). You would think they would be delayed because the plane wasn't there, someone threw up on in the middle of the isle, engine trouble or something like that... nope.

Lucky(AR)
07-22-2007, 10:57
sorry to hear that i had the sme problem with american airlines

Harshal
07-24-2007, 13:43
I agree with everybody on here, airlines are getting worse and worse day by day. They just treat all the passengers as animals. Thanks to our great congressman and senators nothing happened (yes coz airline industry had strong lobbying power) were supposed to pass like passenger charter after the big issue of Jet Blue plane sitting on tarmac for 11 grueling hrs. Our politicians were supposed to come up with something as passenger rights, I heard it for few days after Jet Blue incident and then it all died down.
<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />
I am sure cummings66 would agree that now days in airline industry all that is left is how executives can line their pocket and donít care how much the staff makes or pilots make or they donít even care how passenger is doing.

JahJahwarrior
07-24-2007, 14:03
What is worse is, the government subsidizes airlines! And now they are beginning to turn a profit again!! Argh. Governments should never support industries that are failing, they are failing for a reason: there are so many airlines that not one gives a damn about the customer!! Until a few go broke for lack of service, no better service will be given!

ScubaCrash
07-24-2007, 14:33
Unfortunately this is a trend in the airline industry that's going to continue unabated until the traveling publicfinally rises up in arms and declares that they have had enough. You would've thought after the JetBlue debacle with the cancelled flights and pax being kept on airplanes for almost 9 hours without ever leaving the ground that things would've changed for the better. They even changed the flight times from city to city in order to avoid getting dinged for late arrivals and missed departures.
<DIV>What's really shocking is that it was Delta, I believe, that just posted a huge profit from their operations, the first since 9/11. </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Of course, not all of this can be layed squarely on the shoulders of the airlines. It's been well recognized for years that this country's airport infrastructure is woefully behind the times, both in numbers of airports needed to service the amount of flights, and with severely outdated equipment. Of course that doesn't excuse the type of behavior reported here, but until the FAA and the gov't get on the ball in addressing this problem, be prepared for the nightmares ahead when flying.</DIV>

georoc01
07-24-2007, 17:43
United posted its best quarter in 7 years also.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>As far as the airports go, what they need to do is limit the number of flights in or out to a max based upon less than favorable conditions like they do today. I remember when I lived in the bay area, that SFO would be based upon ideal conditions, which would happen maybe 20% of the time. Otherwise there are too many flights to physically make it in and out of the airport based upon the runways avail. </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>The only way to alleviate that is to encourage the airlines to reverse their trend of more flights on smaller planes. This would take the stress off the Air traffic control system. </DIV>

techgnostic
07-24-2007, 23:19
Perhaps we could arrange some cross training with private pilots...cut out the airlines once we got our new 'friends' hooked enough to plan trips with them.

Harshal
07-25-2007, 13:04
Itís true; lately most of the airline and airline crew are becoming pain for the passengers. Most of the part I would not blame the airline crew, one time being a airline crew was a premium job and now it has slide down to job paying barely enough to pay your bills and where has all the money gone in executives pocket. Most of the executives now days donít have a clue about what goes down at the passenger level, they never have to travel by passenger jets (most of them). I remember stories from old days when executives used to love to fly on their on companies aircraft with regular customers; I donít think that happens today. The way things are going donít ever see any improvement happening to the present conditions.

TAH 73
07-25-2007, 16:52
In Canada the new player on the block came into the scene with a completely different way of doing business, Westjet did eliminate the meal's, but offered a "buy on board" service for sandwiches, drinks are still gratis, as well as cookies, and other light snacks.
<DIV>They relaxed their attitudes, the flight attendants dressed a bit casual, but still professional, and thy all have a fun attitude.</DIV>
<DIV>They came in cheaper than Air Canada on all flights, were on time more often, cancelled/delayed less flights, and had better baggage allotments, and they were more than fair with overweight baggage.</DIV>
<DIV>Icame back from Whistler this spring after being there for 6 months with 2 large 'hockey bags" as baggage, as well as a ski bag with 4 pair of skis, poles, and a "boot bag: with tons of ski gear.</DIV>
<DIV>Apparently my ski gear with my boot bag took the allotment of one of my bags, but the attendant decided that it wasn't an issue to need to charge me extra for.</DIV>
<DIV>Both of my bags came in overweight as well.</DIV>
<DIV>They have now increased their market share, have added more flights and destinations, and have upgraded the seats to larger leather seats, and in-flight satellite TV in all seat backs.</DIV>
<DIV>Air Canada cut services.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>

techgnostic
07-26-2007, 01:10
Westjet did eliminate the meal's, but offered a "buy on board" service
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Pay as you go is the future of air travel. Some airlines have even tried to forbid bringing personal food/drink onboard, so you are forced to buy their bite-sized snacks.</DIV>

medic001918
07-26-2007, 01:46
Sorry to hear about the misadventure. Hopefully all will go smoothly in the morning and you'll get do dive every dive you had planned.
<DIV>
Shane</DIV>

georoc01
07-26-2007, 08:04
At least they offer something. Most US airlines don't even do that unless the flight is 3 hours +.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Back to Delta. My sister has had so many problems with their affliate Com Air, especially at the holidays. Nothing like finding out your flight is cancelled and when you call being told they would get you out 5 days later. She will pay $100's of dollars more and fly out of her way to avoid them. Personally I can't see a difference in the majors. I have had issues with all of them at different times.</DIV>

Moxie
07-26-2007, 08:05
I agree withTah. West Jet rocks. I hate having to fly airlines that use hubs and you have to connect through those. Just delays waiting to happen. West Jet - Vancouver to Toronto in 4.5 hr with TV and beverages, snacks for purchase. I can take 60 lbs of luggage for free (per person) and they're friendly and have the funniestsafety demo ever.

loudgonzo
07-26-2007, 13:54
Well, living in the Dallas area, most of my work travel is int'l to Latin America, so it's AA for me, and that means going through Miami, which
is a zoo!! There is not 1 single thing I have nice to say about the Miami airport.

georoc01
07-26-2007, 14:22
Well, living in the Dallas area, most of my work travel is int'l to Latin America, so it's AA for me, and that means going through Miami, which
is a zoo!! There is not 1 single thing I have nice to say about the Miami airport.

<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I'm sorry. Miami is up there with Newark as the airports I try to avoid when possible. I used to feel like that about Detroit but was pleasantly suprised on the new terminal. Now if Northwest can get their labor problems behind them, I may actually use that one again.</DIV>

Black-Gorrilla
07-27-2007, 01:10
what was the outcome here?

loudgonzo
07-27-2007, 07:28
Maybe still trying to figure out how many people it would take? lol

Black-Gorrilla
07-27-2007, 14:53
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Pay as you go is the future of air travel. Some airlines have even tried to forbid bringing personal food/drink onboard, so you are forced to buy their bite-sized snacks.</DIV>

i've found my self on airplanes, with a small personal cooler, with sushi, sashimi and soy sauce... then i was bitched at... and told them "do you know how much i paid to be here now? and you expect me to eat that crap and bitch about me bringing my food onboard?" he gave me an awkward look and walked away. i got **** treatment from a few people the whole flight... but i had the best meal onboard for sure!
i've also taken mcdonalds, home cooked rice/beans and ground beef, i always take snacks with me too.

loudgonzo
07-27-2007, 15:27
i've found my self on airplanes, with a small personal cooler, with sushi, sashimi and soy sauce... then i was bitched at... and told them "do you know how much i paid to be here now? and you expect me to eat that crap and bitch about me bringing my food onboard?" he gave me an awkward look and walked away. i got **** treatment from a few people the whole flight... but i had the best meal onboard for sure!
i've also taken mcdonalds, home cooked rice/beans and ground beef, i always take snacks with me too.
I've taken food aboard several airlines, the usual comments I get are from people next to me saying "..I wish I would have brought my own food" or "..that sure looks good" and similar comments. Never been griped by a flight attendant for it though.

dallasdivergirl
07-27-2007, 15:49
I always have food. With delays and lay overs and all the other stuff that goes on I never count on getting any thing from them. I mostly have clif, luna & kashi bars. I will usually pack enough of those to have 2 per day while diving for si breaks.

ScubaCrash
07-29-2007, 10:20
Again, a good many these problems boil down to the Gov't building new major airports. I can't say anything abou NYC area airports for horrid experiences, but I did fly through Miami twice and good lord, what a disaster. It's bad enough you've gotta walk three miles to get from the counters to the gates, but then to deal with customs as well.....

I'm not sure about anyone else, but having a reginal airport isn't much of a picnic either. It's actually cheaper for me to drive to San Francisco or L.A. and park my car for a week than it is to fly outta here and grab a connecting flight in L.A. or Dallas. I hope this situation with air travel changes soon, it's getting totally out of hand.

Skinsfan1311
07-29-2007, 10:37
I've taken food aboard several airlines, the usual comments I get are from people next to me saying "..I wish I would have brought my own food" or "..that sure looks good" and similar comments. Never been griped by a flight attendant for it though.

Same here....unless you're fortunate enough to find a sale on first-class, the food always sucks.

I try not to bring anything on board with onions or garlic though.....

Vercingetorix
07-29-2007, 11:00
I just returned from trip. I flew American. Meals for first class, nothing for coach. They would sell you bag of potato chips or candy bar for $3. Water was $2 per bottle.

No more free snack; cheap b*st*rds.

Wolfie2012
07-30-2007, 11:23
Well I'm back! After the night in the airport we ended up getting out at the early flight on Saturday morning. We dropped my kidlet off at her grandmothers and drove down to key largo and got in an afternoon and night dive without any incident. The night dive was incredible, the first for my wife and as much as she hated to admit that I was right, she loved it. The afternoon dive was OK, but I didn't like the way the op ran things and the boat was much too crowded for my tastes - I guess I'm spoiled from parrot island in pompano. Sunday we skipped a morning dive to sleep in, and drove back up to ft lauderdale for a shore dive. The rest of the week's dives were enjoyable too. All-in-all the trip ended up being great, and other than another hour delay of the plane in atlanta on the way back we didn't run into any other problems :)

The only problem now is that I had bought tickets for my October trip through Northwest prior to their much publicized labor issues. My luck just isn't going well.

Anyway, here's a couple pics for your enjoyment. (wow the size requirements are harsh!) :)

Illini_Fan
07-30-2007, 11:39
The only problem now is that I had bought tickets for my October trip through Northwest prior to their much publicized labor issues. My luck just isn't going well.

Well, if your flights are early to the middle of the month -- you shouldn't run in the cancellations. Most are driven by the max number of hours a crew can work in a calendar month, so the last few days are when the problem really shows it self.

Wolfie2012
07-30-2007, 11:44
Well, if your flights are early to the middle of the month -- you shouldn't run in the cancellations. Most are driven by the max number of hours a crew can work in a calendar month, so the last few days are when the problem really shows it self.

That's good to know. Goin from the 11th-23rd... so, if I run into problems for the return trip, oh well, twist my arm to stay on vacation a little longer. ;)

Foo2
07-30-2007, 12:01
I always have food. With delays and lay overs and all the other stuff that goes on I never count on getting any thing from them. I mostly have clif, luna & kashi bars. I will usually pack enough of those to have 2 per day while diving for si breaks.

mmmmmmm....kashi bars! Here's a link to a coupon for kashi cereal. http://site.vocalpoint.com/breakfast/coupon.html Enjoy!

Foo2

Foo2
07-30-2007, 12:09
Wow Wolfie! Those are great photos! It looks like you had great dives and I'm glad that you ended up having a good trip!

Foo2

Wolfie2012
07-30-2007, 12:27
mmmmmmm....kashi bars! Here's a link to a coupon for kashi cereal. http://site.vocalpoint.com/breakfast/coupon.html Enjoy!
Foo2

Thanks for the link, my wife loves that stuff. (though I think it's nasty! ;) )

Wolfie2012
07-30-2007, 14:16
I uploaded some larger versions of the above pics along with a bunch of others from the trip to the gallery. In case anybody is extremely bored and wants to see my rudimentary poor photography skills :)

deepdiver47
07-31-2007, 08:00
Flying is not easy anymore. I like Continental but they cancelled all flights once I got to Newark. I fly international a great deal and it is far easier for me to go to Japan (direct) than it is for me to travel from Houston to Boston.
We are in for a rough summer

georoc01
07-31-2007, 09:09
Its funny, the worst time I had flying was in 2000 and the summer of 2001 prior to 9/11. Its taken us this long to get caught up back to what it was like during those summers.

loudgonzo
07-31-2007, 10:36
Flying is not easy anymore. it is far easier for me to go to Japan (direct) than it is for me to travel from Houston to Boston.

Unfortunately correct, traveling int'l is a lot easier, and adding insult to injury,you also receive better treatment from the int'l carriers.

Dive-aholic
07-31-2007, 23:18
Travelling internationally is only easier if you travel on an international carrier. We just flew Continental on an international trip and had a horrible experience. My wife is allergic to peanuts. We thought all airlines had stopped serving peanuts. Well, not Continental! In fact, their policy is that they won't make any changes even if you tell them you're allergic to peanuts. They're now off our list of airlines to travel on.