PDA

View Full Version : Scallops!

MacDiver
03-07-2012, 18:21
Any other scallop divers from the Northeast on here?
The Maine season ends in less than a month so I'm trying to get as much scalloping in as I can, which means I've got piles of scallops now. Anyone got any good recipe suggestions?

Clernix
03-07-2012, 18:35
God I hate you ! I bet they are all big and fat not like the cheap little ones I buy cause they cost so damm much here. I have got to figure out a way to get to the coast and live there!

navyhmc
03-07-2012, 18:51
You mean to tell me, you are going to brag about catching those fine specimens of eating knowing full well that we poor unfortunate souls will have none and then.... Have the Audacity to ask for recipes. Man they grow 'em just plain hound dog mean up there in Maine! :smiley36:

(god I love scallops....)

My favorite: Seared Scallops

1 to 1 1/4 pounds dry sea scallops, approximately 16
2 teaspoons unsalted butter
2 teaspoons olive oil
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
Remove the small side muscle from the scallops, rinse with cold water and thoroughly pat dry.
Add the butter and oil to a 12 to 14-inch saute pan on high heat. Salt and pepper the scallops. Once the fat begins to smoke, gently add the scallops, making sure they are not touching each other. Sear the scallops for 1 1/2 minutes on each side. The scallops should have a 1/4-inch golden crust on each side while still being translucent in the center. Serve immediately.

Clernix
03-08-2012, 11:37
Simple , that's the way you cook:smiley20:

wheelman
03-08-2012, 12:39
Lucky you. Be safe. Enjoy.

levans
03-11-2012, 03:44
How long is the season in Maine? Down in Mass we can get them year round and can get up to one gallon of shucked scallops a day.

I cook mine up pretty much the way navyhmc does, although lately I've been sauteing them with a little white wine as well.

MacDiver
03-12-2012, 20:58
Well, navy if you want to come dive and share in the scallops, I'd be happy to take you along. :)
That's just about how I've been cooking mine, and it's wonderful, but I always like to experiment with my cooking.

As for season, we can harvest from mid-December through the end of March and we're allowed 2 quarts of shucked meats per day.
How healthy is the scallop population in Massachusetts?

navyhmc
03-12-2012, 21:46
Don't I wish! But alas, I'm stuck in the Kansas. Where the water's too thick to swim and too thin to plow

Largo
03-23-2012, 21:37
Don't I wish! But alas, I'm stuck in the Kansas. Where the water's too thick to swim and too thin to plow

There are always zebra mussels. Pretty much the same flavor, I hear.

wheelman
03-24-2012, 08:15
There are always zebra mussels. Pretty much the same flavor, I hear.

LOL, I take it your NOT a fan of scallops.

Largo
03-24-2012, 10:37
I love scallops.

It's just easier to acquire zebra mussels.

(Kids, this is a joke, do not eat zebra mussels. They are full of the nastiness that used to be held in suspension in the lake's water)

SkuaSeptember
12-08-2012, 17:37
Since this thread was already out there it was worth bringing it back for the folks in the NE.
Had another fantastic dive with Captains Jim and Pat at Boston Scuba today! A little bit of rain didn't dampen anyone's spirits as we had good (10 ft.) vis with no current for the first dive and everyone nearly bagged their limit. The second dive was work as the current had picked up considerably but those gallon bags got completely topped off! The water was a balmy 45 deg.
Andrea and "Bloody" Pete, it was great meeting and diving with you, and to Anna who is being sent to Bahrain after the holidays - be well, be safe and thank you for your service. It was a pleasure!

Recipe? Don't need no stinkin recipe! Pan seared with butter, garlic and lemon or broiled wrapped in bacon. Simple and easy!

Clernix
12-08-2012, 18:28
WOW green with envy!:smiley11:

I did splurge tonight and had some king crab but I bagged mine at Costco.