PDA

View Full Version : Knoxville Tennessee Diving

SharpDog
09-19-2007, 07:18
Hi,
I gather that most of the diving in this area is in the quarries and maybe Norris lake. What about diving in Melton Hill Lake or Loudon?

I am very new to diving but I am looking for some local trips next summer.

Pete

danielh03
10-09-2007, 00:50
I would like some info on this as well. I am confined to the few quarries in this area, and black water in the KY lake!

Ohmdiver
11-11-2007, 10:54
I am looking for an excuse to visit ky to "see my nephew" ....

:smilie40:

philmayer
11-11-2007, 15:21
I dive at Philadelphia quarry many weekends. It's very clean and the temps aren't bad. Viz is 40 feet most of the time. They have some training platforms, a PPB course, and lots of cool ceramic things UW. Entry is $10 per diver and $3 per non-diver. Air fills are not available on site. Yet.

I've dived Loch Low-Minn Quarry a couple times, but don't like it as much. It's 30 minutes farther for me and they have WAAAAAYYYYY to many rules for me. No smoking, no children, now BBQs, only open on weekends, etc. They've already closed for the year. They reopen in May I think. There's quite a bit of algae in the water and the viz runs about 20' on a great day. Entry is $20 per diver. They have air fills available on-site.

I haven't dived the lakes around here. They are REALLY cold. Even in the summer. Norris Lake is the one I hear talked about most. Viz averages about 5'.

IrishSquid
11-11-2007, 19:43
I dive at Philadelphia quarry many weekends. It's very clean and the temps aren't bad. Viz is 40 feet most of the time. They have some training platforms, a PPB course, and lots of cool ceramic things UW. Entry is $10 per diver and $3 per non-diver. Air fills are not available on site. Yet.

I've dived Loch Low-Minn Quarry a couple times, but don't like it as much. It's 30 minutes farther for me and they have WAAAAAYYYYY to many rules for me. No smoking, no children, now BBQs, only open on weekends, etc. They've already closed for the year. They reopen in May I think. There's quite a bit of algae in the water and the viz runs about 20' on a great day. Entry is $20 per diver. They have air fills available on-site.

I haven't dived the lakes around here. They are REALLY cold. Even in the summer. Norris Lake is the one I hear talked about most. Viz averages about 5'.

I haven't had a chance to check out Philadelphia yet, it's 30 mins. further north, but have heard good things about it. I usually dive Loch Low Minn.
Technically its closed; season is May 1-Oct 31, but open year round with reservations. I just dove there yesterday. 62 degrees @ 50 ft, vis was 40+, my brother and I were the only 2 people there. Dove in the afternoon and a night dive. Actually, 20ft. was about the worst vis I've experienced all year. Heat of the summer with classes all the time. Never had a problem there smoking a stogey after my dives and have seen campfires and barbecues several times. Stacey and Rick seem to let people dive with little interference.
I dove the Tn. river @ Chickamauga Dam this summer during the river rescue clean up. Now that's some bad vis there. I'm still checking on a certification for Cappacino diving at night w/ a blindfold.

Puffer Fish
11-11-2007, 23:10

Are they open this time of the year.. as I am up for doing a practice dive with all the color gear on.....saves having the wrong weight in the ocean... Plus I have a couple partial tanks (2,000 psi or so) in them...hate having them dumped to refill (Nitrox)

Puffer Fish
11-11-2007, 23:11
So how cold is really cold? I find 50 nice...

philmayer
11-12-2007, 12:50
Are they open this time of the year.. as I am up for doing a practice dive with all the color gear on.....saves having the wrong weight in the ocean... Plus I have a couple partial tanks (2,000 psi or so) in them...hate having them dumped to refill (Nitrox)

Philly is open year-round, 24/7/365. Loch Low-Minn is open by appointment.

TN Traveler
11-13-2007, 13:50
One problem with Philly is that the road to get there goes through several fields and through a stream - making it tough if you don't have a truck or SUV. Also the road from the top of the hill to the water has lots of ruts that again require a truck or SUV to get your gear near the water - otherwise it is a long haul up and down the hill with gear.

Philly is smaller that Loch Low-Minn - which at this time of the year is no problem - but smaller size means it is harder to get away from the classes - but on the flip side - there are fewer classes - so probably a wash. The classes at Loch Low-Minn can definately stir up the shallow areas and bring the viz way down - but the back section normally stays much clearer - plus for Loch Low-Minn are the paddlefish - something to search for and they are cool to watch.

I would say the pros and cons of each balance out - and both are pretty good sites for inland diving.

cheebaweebie
11-13-2007, 13:52
Take the drive on down to the Lousiana, Florida or Texas coast. Dive some oil platforms for fish. Awesome rush

philmayer
11-14-2007, 00:19
One problem with Philly is that the road to get there goes through several fields and through a stream - making it tough if you don't have a truck or SUV. Also the road from the top of the hill to the water has lots of ruts that again require a truck or SUV to get your gear near the water - otherwise it is a long haul up and down the hill with gear.

They installed a bridge over the stream and graded the road earlier this year. But I still wouldn't take a sports car up there.