PDA

View Full Version : new fins or keep with what I like?

jimmysdevoted
09-19-2007, 12:15
I was at an old site and reading some old books. And they were talking about the length of a fin( from the end of the foot pocket to the end of the fin) should be the length of the persons shin plus knee cap for ultimate propulsion and comfort. I just wanted to say that its so true!
Too short of a fin and I felt no extra bouancy and too long I felt like I was competing with the fin. Ok enough said about that. I get a lot of strange looks when I pull out my US divers cheapie pair of powerflex fins.
I am looking into new ones but I like the set from US divers. I like the feel of the mask and the fins. Should I change or go fancy?

NitroWill
09-19-2007, 12:22
Stick with what works for you! I've been using the same fins for 4 years!

BobArnold8265
09-19-2007, 12:27
I'm not one to make changes unless I really have a reason. Seems to me if you like your old fins you should stick with them. If on the other hand, new fins make you feel more comfortable or allow to enjoy diving more then go for it. I guess it comes down to what will give you the most enjoyment. Would spending money on new fins give you as much pleasure as spending it on something else (or for that mater saving it) ???

scubasavvy
09-22-2007, 19:39
Unless something is wrong with your old fins, I wouldn't change them. Not worth the money or the hassle, especially if you don't like the new ones...

crpntr133
09-22-2007, 22:57
I was at an old site and reading some old books. And they were talking about the length of a fin( from the end of the foot pocket to the end of the fin) should be the length of the persons shin plus knee cap for ultimate propulsion and comfort. I just wanted to say that its so true!
Too short of a fin and I felt no extra bouancy and too long I felt like I was competing with the fin. Ok enough said about that. I get a lot of strange looks when I pull out my US divers cheapie pair of powerflex fins.
I am looking into new ones but I like the set from US divers. I like the feel of the mask and the fins. Should I change or go fancy?

Never heard the fin length to shin comparison.
I would say stay with what you like. I always love getting on a dive boat with a couple noobs. They look at my 5 year old fins, well worn BTW, and it looks like they are just grossed out.

Aussie
09-23-2007, 07:27
I get strange looks when I dive with my free-diving fins on scuba. But they do work really really well.

So use what works for you.

Aussie

Stingray Brett
09-23-2007, 07:31
Im a new diver and i use my 27 yr. old fins ScubaPro Jetfins!!!! and they still great!!!!

quasimoto
09-23-2007, 18:47
I agree stay with what you have. I have dove with a couple guys that use 15 year old gear and I think nothing of it.

Zenagirl
09-24-2007, 07:46
Use what you like and what works well for you. If my old US Diver blades hadn't fallen apart, I'd still be using them (circa 1993 bought for snorkeling).

wxboy911
09-24-2007, 13:52
I am diving a pair of ScubaPro Sea Wings and they work pretty well...they get a lot of looks from just about everyone. Stay with what works and try some others before you buy anything. If you like it and it works dont fix what is not broke.

WV Diver
09-24-2007, 14:35
At least you know why you're getting strange looks. :smiley32:

I have never been one to care much about what people think. I follow my own path, crooked as it may be. I'm a nut, I'm a nut.

Dive what works for you, it will make you happy.

Buoyant1
09-26-2007, 11:27
If y ou like them keep them, but if you get the chance to try something different go for it...I've had Mares Plana Avanti's and was very satisfied, until I tried a friend's Quattros!

Now I have my own set!

Penguino
04-16-2008, 15:18
Why spend more money if you don't have to. Save it and buy something else.

meesier42
04-19-2008, 20:12

I have never heard that, ever... I can say that I have used very short fins and very long fins and they BOTH word great. They are different, require different kick styles and techniques, but they can both be made to work well.

But as to replacing your fins. why replace what works for you. Who cares what other people use, if its on your feet then you have to like it then it is the best thing for you.

ReefHound
04-19-2008, 20:26
I'd also say stick with what you have and like... with one condition. Have you actually tried other fins for a few dives (5 minutes in a pool isn't enough to get used to) to actually see? If not, then maybe what you have *isn't* working for you, you just don't know it.

Ohio_diver16
04-19-2008, 20:45
For once I'm with the majority (weird feeling by the way) Stick with what you have, granted, all my equipment is new - But I just got certified 2 years ago. However, I love my mask and fins so damn much, I've bought the same thing in both, "just in case!" But on a side note, a P.S. if you will... Every diver I've met so far has been pretty cool and relaxed, unlike some other hobbies I've entertained where people seemed to be elitists (damn you extreme frisbee players!) So if someone chuckles at old fins, atleast you can chuckle back knowing that they're pee pee heads!

longtailbda
06-08-2008, 19:50
I still use my original power planas, keep what works for you.

CowboyFan&Diver
06-17-2008, 18:07
I had been using Scubapro Jetfins....recently switched to the Apollo Biofins...which in my opinion look kinda goofy and i'm the one wearing them....but really - it doesn't matter what it looks like....it's the fit and the feel and what YOU like. I'd stick with what you got until the fall apart...then try something else.

whitworthsa
06-17-2008, 18:11
Im a new diver and i use my 27 yr. old fins ScubaPro Jetfins!!!! and they still great!!!!

Me too, bought in 1981. Don't think they've changed since then.

dive10killer
06-17-2008, 18:18
Don't change it...if you like it!

buddhasummer
06-17-2008, 21:15
If it aint broke...Ive been using my Cressi frogs for coming on 10 years, Im sure there are "better" fins according to "someone" and I'm sure there are better fins but I have no comparison so like mine just fine, I did put spring straps on them recently which I like much better, and Im glad I do coz they cost almost as much as many new fins do (apollo springs). Keep what you have and spend the money on a day or two diving, unless you really want to buy some, buying new gear is fun too.

character157
06-25-2008, 17:57
I'd say definitely stick with what you know works and you're comfortable with. New fins can be rather pricey, and if you like what you have, I'd keep 'em.

DaneMeyer20
06-25-2008, 18:16
My pops has an old ass pair of US Diver fins and he still loves them. He also wears my old hand me down shoes from 9 years ago that are 3 sizes too big for him. not sure why i mentioned that but stick with the old stuuf if it works.

Mtrewyn
06-25-2008, 18:27
Stick with what works

thesmoothdome
06-25-2008, 19:02
I get strange looks when I dive with my free-diving fins on scuba. But they do work really really well.

So use what works for you.

Aussie

gotta be PITA to travel with :anim_stick:.

As for the OP, if it works for you and the environment you're diving in, why change? I still dive an old pair of Mares Power Planas in warm water and will keep diving them until they fall apart. Great fins IMHO.

dive10killer
06-25-2008, 19:39
Stick with what you like!