PDA

View Full Version : Dizzy while diving

edge900rr
09-19-2007, 12:54
Last night I was trying out a new BCD with my wife. after being underwater for about 5 minutes we were following the contour of the bottom, only about 14 ft down, and heading towards the surface. I turned by head quickly to look for her and got really dizzy, it passed after several seconds. later in the evening on shore I started getting a headace that I still have today. Just wondering if anybody has had this happen to them? On descent I had a hard time getting my ears to equalize could this be the cause? thanks.

NitroWill
09-19-2007, 12:59
Sound's like a case of vertigo

edge900rr
09-19-2007, 13:18
yeah that is what it felt like....is there a way to prevent it? I figured not moving your head quickly was a start...are there any other ideas?

greyzen
09-19-2007, 13:24
empty stomach
mild ear infection or blockage
allergies
high blood pressure
sudden gravitational anomaly
sinus infection
*funny* air (IE: oxygen deprivation)

No Misses
09-19-2007, 13:57
I get this if my ears clog. If you are a little stuffed up, when you dive down, the pressure forces mucus/liquid into your inner ear. then when you start to come up the pressure in you inner ear will cause you to get dizzy. If you still have the problem on land, then you probably still have fluid in your inner ear. Don't laugh at this next statement. Try jumping up and down. This may loosen the mucus in your estacion tubes.

P.S. ScubaRadio.com had a doc on a few days ago that made the jumping up and down suggestion. FWIW

edge900rr
09-19-2007, 14:48
thanks No Misses. I still am feeling it a little and my left ear feels like it has pressure on it still, so I will have to try jumping up and down when I get out of work.

greyzen...I was wonder about "funny" air but didn't have time to change tanks. it didn't get worse the rest of the night breathing on the same tank. I returned to the surface several times and didn't feel it again. my wife was breathing off a tank from the same store and didn't feel anything.

greyzen
09-19-2007, 15:09
if you are still feeling the effects you could have an infection :/

BSea
09-19-2007, 15:17
I had the same thing happen this weekend. I had a slight cold, but still went diving. I had trouble clearing on the 1st dive, and after I finished my safety stop I had a real case of virtigo from 10 feet to the surface. It went away, and I had no problems on my 2nd dive. This has happened a few times before, and always when I had a problem clearing on the way down.

I very rarely have any problems clearing, I think No Misses has the right answer. In every case like this I've had, I took it real slow on the way down, and real slow on the way up. I never had any lingering effects. On this dive, it took me 20 minutes to get to 60 feet. I was in no hurry, and fortunatly the water was clear enough for me to see my buddies about 20' below me.

coralcrazed
09-19-2007, 16:37
sounds like swimmers ear, an ear infection or bad air... however, my first guess fromyour description would be that you have swimmers ear. Be aware that you don't want to treat swimers ear like you would an ear infection. if you have an infection and use a swimmers ear remedy you could make the infection worse.

crpntr133
09-19-2007, 21:23
Yep something wrong with the ole ears.

frankc420
09-19-2007, 22:16
All of the above makes a lot of sense but it could have been a simple change of pressure in one ear but not the other. That is where the vertigo comes into play. If the pressure in one ear is different from the pressure in the other ear you experience vertigo (dizziness).
---
Did you try to clear your ears while you were was looking to the side? If you had any water in your sinuses it could have went down the back of your throat and up one of your Eustachian tubes. This would explain the stuffiness feeling your having in one of your ears.. or like mentioned above it could be an infection.
--
Swimmers ear makes no sense to me, as swimmers ear is an outer ear infection. The easiest way to know if you have swimmers ear is if the outside of your ear is sore. Mostly the little piece of cartilage toward the front of your ear.

I'm not a doctor nor am I a dive expert, but I have had ALOT of ear trouble since I've started diving and I've talked to MANY different general doctors and ENT's :D If I'm wrong, feel free to correct me but flaming will result in me opening a can of WHOOP juice.

wifeofdzorn00
09-19-2007, 22:18
Being a nurse i would go with a problem in the ears, and if it is still an issue it is time to see your Doc.

edge900rr
09-20-2007, 08:19
Thanks everybody. after reading I think that it was just one ear that wouldn't clear. I don't think that I have swimmers ear, there is no infection and my ear isn't tender or sore. the pressure in my left ear finally equalized late last night, so I am thinking that is what was really causing it.:smiley20:

No Misses
09-20-2007, 09:11
I got'sta know...Did you try jumping up and down (jumping jacks, jump rope, etc.)?

edge900rr
09-20-2007, 09:14
I did go see Dropkick Murphy's last night in concert....so there was a little jumping around there...but nothing intentional for getting the ear to equalize. could also have been the decibles they were playing at it just pounded the ear into submission!!!:smiley20:

coralcrazed
09-20-2007, 11:10
Thanks everybody. after reading I think that it was just one ear that wouldn't clear. I don't think that I have swimmers ear, there is no infection and my ear isn't tender or sore. the pressure in my left ear finally equalized late last night, so I am thinking that is what was really causing it.:smiley20:

thats the difference between swimmers ear and an ear infection. there is no pain associated with swimmers ear but alot of pain assciated with an ear infection.

diverdad
09-20-2007, 22:00
I have had problems with my sinuses which caused me to have problems trying to equilize at times it could be allergies. Just my 2 cents.