PDA

View Full Version : Camera for close up in low vis

GoodToGo
09-19-2007, 19:52
Hi folks!
There are some specific photos I want to take next summer and need to be prepared with the right camera and strobe. What do you suggest for low vis (5' - 10')?
I've never owned a decent u/w camera before so any input is welcome.
:)

DevilDiver
09-19-2007, 20:03
How large is the subject and how close can you get?

crpntr133
09-19-2007, 20:20
Depending upon the viz and lighting you aren't going to want a strobe. Backscatter can really trash a photo.

GoodToGo
09-19-2007, 21:20
Both inside and outside the Empress of Ireland are my objectives. I saw so much this summer while there that I want to capture on film when I go again next year. Some days were good viz .... maybe 15' or slightly less. Because of the high cost of making this trip I don't want to take shots that will end up being useless.
Backscatter .... yes that would be a problem in this water. Very dark and murky.
What kind of lighting system would be appropriate?

bversteegh
09-19-2007, 23:16
You can still use a strobe in poor vis (in fact you'll need one to get any color) - you just have to be more careful in aligning your strobe. The real key is to get CLOSE to your subject, so you minimize the water column you have to pass through between lens and subject. In poor vis, you probably have to be 18 inches or closer to your subject to get good shots.

The secret on strobe alignment is to light the subject with the edge of the strobe beam, so you aren't reflecting off the crud between camera and subject. Also, you can play with f stops to control depth of field, so only a narrow area around the subject is in focus.

DevilDiver
05-09-2008, 19:57
Hi folks!
There are some specific photos I want to take next summer and need to be prepared with the right camera and strobe. What do you suggest for low vis (5' - 10')?
I've never owned a decent u/w camera before so any input is welcome.
:)

Just wondering if you ever got the pictures?:smiley20: